Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Legendary Member
Far too long and impenetrable for most.

You need to know your target audience, and up your communication skills accordingly.

I happen to disagree,@theclaud has a full complement of smarts and writes very well indeed. Her work may exclude Daily Express readers, but they are probably few and far between here, and if they are, they tend to only be here to amuse themselves with trolling anyway.

TheClaud doesn't always agree with me either, but I don't take it personally.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Her work may exclude Daily Express readers,

Whether the reader agrees or disagrees with the text is irrelevant, other than to say something you disagree with is far more involving than simply being told what you want to hear.

Many studies have shown that even a university professor, used to dealing with long and complex documents, wants simple, short sentences when he picks up his newspaper.

Thus the average reading age of a newspaper reader is reckoned to be about eight, which is no reflection on the reader's actual reading age.

Claud mentioned her target audience, which is the readership of a general internet forum, comparable to that of a newspaper.

Her stuff might well work as an article in a learned journal, but not on here where everyone's attention span is comparable to that of a goldfish.

CXRAndy

Guru
Maybe if you took it off, you would see the reality

Screenshot_20230710_152207_Chrome.jpg

monkers

Legendary Member
Whether the reader agrees or disagrees with the text is irrelevant, other than to say something you disagree with is far more involving than simply being told what you want to hear.

Many studies have shown that even a university professor, used to dealing with long and complex documents, wants simple, short sentences when he picks up his newspaper.

Thus the average reading age of a newspaper reader is reckoned to be about eight, which is no reflection on the reader's actual reading age.

Claud mentioned her target audience, which is the readership of a general internet forum, comparable to that of a newspaper.

Her stuff might well work as an article in a learned journal, but not on here where everyone's attention span is comparable to that of a goldfish.

Sorry, too long, didn't read.

monkers

Legendary Member
Very droll. To put is simply:

Any idiot can put over a fairly complex idea in 500 words.

The art is to do it in 150 words and, crucially, leave nothing out.

OK I admit I read it. I imagined you had a sense of humour. It's not that I disagree that writing with precision, clarity and brevity is a great skill to have, others here do that so much better than me. It's just that I sense you are here to mix things up with your anti-wokeness. The piece that @theclaud wrote was read and appreciated for it's honesty and strength of argument.

As somebody who spends a great deal of time in court, I'd imagine you'd be used to hearing more rambling and protracted arguments and decisions than that one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
As somebody who spends a great deal of time in court,

Well, the floors won't clean themselves.

Top Bottom