Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
What's inhumane is these athletes were allowed to compete in the female category in the first place. It was unfair to them and to their competitors. They have been failed by the sports organisations. CS's genetic make up means they are male. What about the elite women athletes who are losing out?

Assigned female at birth, raised and competed as a female before there was any intervention because, well, I dunno a variety of speculative reasons. She hasn't won anything since 2018 so I'm not sure she's stopping other people much these days.

I agree that governing bodies have let people down. This is not uncommon.

multitool

I well remember looking at a picture on the company intranet and thinking who are these weird people. Two Charles Hawtrey lookalikes and a woman who was half way to looking like a pantomime dame.

I then saw the headline about how a trans community was now being set up.

If I had started this post by saying the trans community where I work look weird no doubt I would have been berated for being transphobic. What should I do now - pretend they look normal when actually in this instance they don't?

How do you feel about disabled and disfigured people? Do you feel compelled to comment?

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I'm going to assert that if you showed the wedding pics to 100 people, 100 would say 'the groom is on the left'.

The images are out there for anyone to make a judgement.

Bold assertion. That's on you. It's quite common in same sex partnerships to have one person dress in a more masculine way than the other.

It's been a necessary part of queer culture for... well forever for some people, which is unfortunate IMO.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Being raised as female [...] is not relevant in terms of fairness in women's sport.

Every so often in this thread you come up with something that is batshit crazy and reveals how little your position is grounded in feminism. This is exhibit number four or five on that score. Don't you have a background in education? Have you never spent five minutes observing the dynamics of a school playground? Have you ever read anything written by a female athlete striving for success or recognition in a male-dominated or masculine-coded sport?

Pale Rider

Veteran
And the point of this judgement? Apart from tabloid prurience.

If only you weren't so befuddled by your hatred of the tabloids you might be better able to think things through.

In the case of athletes, the ruling body needs to make a judgement, as does anyone currently provided gendered spaces.

Much as you might squawk about it, none of this has anything to do with the tabloids.

monkers

Legendary Member
Looks very much like an athletic woman to me. If you imagine athletic women look like men, I think that's a you problem. They remain women regardless of what they look like, of course, athletic or not.

But you worry that you can't distinguish between a cis woman and a trans woman, whilst simultaneously worrying that you can't tell the difference between a trans woman and a transvestite. So do looks matter or not? Can incorrect perception by the observer justify discriminatory behaviour?

monkers

Legendary Member
If only you weren't so befuddled by your hatred of the tabloids you might be better able to think things through.

In the case of athletes, the ruling body needs to make a judgement, as does anyone currently provided gendered spaces.

Much as you might squawk about it, none of this has anything to do with the tabloids.

It does, because of the precious commercial interests that you've cracked on about, presenting sensationalised accounts of untruths is perfectly justified, and journalists are only doing their jobs. Oh and nobody ever gets hurt.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Where are the USA dsd athletes and the western European ones? They are predominantly African, a few South American. ie countries where pregnancy scans aren't always routine but home births and no ante natal care are common. Of course these conditions are going undiagnosed until puberty.

Re: Fatima Whitbread. She has stated that she thinks transwomen should have their own category and not compete with women.

I don't know about the regularity of African/South American pregnancy scans. Do you?

As for a different category, sure, that might be the way forward. But to me it marginalises an already niche group.

This really isn't an easy issue to solve, and I won't pretend to have any answers.

Ian H

Legendary Member

Eh? 'Tabloid' here is a descriptive adjective as in 'tabloid-style'. Try to be a little less literal-minded, and you might understand more.

monkers

Legendary Member
Paul_Grace_Wedding1.jpg

Top Bottom