Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Legendary Member
Could it be that the severity of violence, or even the reason for the violence itself eg self defence has a bearing on these statistics men vs women.??

Yes, yes, this exactly, you've got it.

The Home Office data is an incomplete set. They admit it. The agencies such as ONS admit it.

The data set from the Met is much better, which is exactly why I chose it, and included that thought within my post.

The Met data set includes some filtering of who perpetrators are with a breakdown with the degree of harm caused.

This is the only data set that I've seen for the UK that attempts to show some better analysis of the problem.

This was dismissed as me just cherry-picking.

If we allow this practice of inventing data where none exists or using mere suggestions of what an incomplete data set shows we end up with massive distortions of the truth, especially when the scum press and social media have their way with it.

In discussion with you and others, I've expressed my disgust with the system that allows such small numbers of men to face justice for rape. Women are right to be outraged, as are men too. I've said repeatedly that women are much more likely to be the victims of violent crime.

I've also said this, that the data shows that trans women are four times more likely to be the victims of violence that other women.

These are the facts.

And yet to listen to certain posters, women should be in a state of hight alert because people with the same sex marker on their birth certificate are such a threat in women's toilets, to the point that Aurora wants Caster Semenya not just banned from women's sport but from taking a piss in a toilet cubicle anywhere near her.

Please by all means demonise the guilty of monstrous crimes, but to demonise every person who shares a characteristic is equally monstrous.

monkers

Legendary Member
Does that also apply to journalists?

Not to all journalists just the scummy ones. Oh you want a serious answer?!

It applies to the ones found guilty by due process - not to the ones found guilty by the morals set by a bunch of scummy hacks, who themselves have the morals of an alley cat.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Not to all journalists just the scummy ones. Oh you want a serious answer?!

It applies to the ones found guilty by due process - not to the ones found guilty by the morals set by a bunch of scummy hacks, who themselves have the morals of an alley cat.

The morals are not set by the journalists, they are set by the public.

The Sun story doesn't say Edwards should be pilloried, it just says what he did and what he's been accused of.

You need to be careful about picking and choosing which groups you try to demonise.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Have to say your definitions of gayness are a bit male genital specific.

I do know same sex attracted women who refer to themselves a gay. 🌈

Mea culpa.

It's only gay if the balls/labia touch?

mudsticks

Squire
That would be me you're talking about. Why do women need a special word for it? Makes no sense to me.

Well I guess women can use a 'special' word if it suits them, and word usage does evolve through the generations, and in different social groups.

My grandparents would have referred to a fun party as being 'gay' when they were younger, but if they were alive now, they might not so much.🤔.

'Gay' was often used to denote same sex attraction for all genders when I was growing up, even though lesbian was ofc available, and it tends to be gay women of a similar age to me who seem to prefer to retain that definition for themselves.

monkers

Legendary Member
why do men want to be called women
I'm not aware that they do.

The law is actually clear on this. For all purposes other than certain provisions, people are the sex that is shown on their birth certificate. It really isn't hard.

Even then the law is clear that both cis women and trans women with a GRC are women. It doesn't follow that trans women are cis women, yet there is those of you who can't manage that simple thought. Trans women are women who are not cis women. Therefore the law says that the word 'woman' is related to gender identity and not to sex. It is not the case that trans women think they have exactly the same biological sex as cis women - just a much as it is the case that women share the same biological sex, since we all have different DNA anyway.

The way you are thinking it's almost as if males and females can be filtered into two groups by their fingerprints alone.

monkers

Legendary Member
Well I guess women can use a 'special' word if it suits them, and word usage does evolve through the generations, and in different social groups.

My grandparents would have referred to a fun party as being 'gay' when they were younger, but if they were alive now, they might not so much.🤔.

'Gay' was often used to denote same sex attraction for all genders when I was growing up, even though lesbian was ofc available, and it tends to be gay women of a similar age to me who seem to prefer to retain that definition for themselves.

We agree. My mother used to talking about certain colours being 'gay'. Words are not restricted to a single meaning.

When people refer to me as a 'lesbian' I'm not offended. I am a lesbian, I have a long history of using it, but nowadays I have a specific reason for a preference to gay. In fact I even prefer 'queer'. But people can identify as they wish, I have no problem with that.

mudsticks

Squire
We agree. My mother used to talking about certain colours being 'gay'. Words are not restricted to a single meaning.

When people refer to me as a 'lesbian' I'm not offended. I am a lesbian, I have a long history of using it, but nowadays I have a specific reason for a preference to gay. In fact I even prefer 'queer'. But people can identify as they wish, I have no problem with that.

Yes I've noticed that 'queer' is being used by a lot of lgbt+ people I know, nowadays.

I quite like that, as it seems to take the emphasis away from having to define specific (and for the most part private) characteristics and or preferences.

But as you say people have specific and personal reasons for using the words they use.

And for the most part (mere memorising difficulties aside) in everyday conversation it's not so difficult to respect that.

monkers

Legendary Member
Yes I've noticed that 'queer' is being used by a lot of lgbt+ people I know, nowadays.

I quite like that, as it seems to take the emphasis away from having to define specific (and for the most part private) characteristics and or preferences.

But as you say people have specific and personal reasons for using the words they use.

And for the most part (mere memorising difficulties aside) in everyday conversation it's not so difficult to respect that.

We agree. Phew!

Top Bottom