Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Your 'logical conclusion' is a point of view rather than a fact as it is perfectly possible to communicate effectively without strict adherence to the standards of English grammar, the interpretation of which has changed over the years.

I was at both Primary and Senior school in the sixties/seventies where, as long as you made yourself clear, we didn't get too hung up over 'rules' around writing, order of words etc.

Never caused me an issue except in one post late in my Civil Service career where my manager fussed unnecessarily.

Ian H

Guru
Like it or not, the Daily Mail is put together by a dedicated team of industry professionals, yes I know you hate all of them, but we are talking about the real world now,

The Mail newsroom is known as a stressful place to work due to the pressure involved.

When you are surrounded by people who know the job inside out, you have to come up to snuff or ship out.

It bugs me a little when someone who clearly cannot write very well dismisses the Mail as the Daily Fail and dismisses an article as 'badly written'.

How would they know?

Not that Dave is the worst offender, far from it.

But at least occasionally, people should think before they post.
Kingsley Amis complained that he couldn't spell. His editors sorted that bit out. George Orwell used some 'non-standard' spellings. Only a pedant would focus on spelling to criticise content.

Ian H

Guru
This is arrogant bollocks from someone who has made a career in using words, usually correctly, hopefully.

It is not important for anyone whose work does not involve writing to get such things as grammatical rules absolutely correct as long as they can make themselves understood adequately. It is no more important than an English teacher being able to explain the workings of an internal combustion engine as long as they know how to start the car and drive it.
Good writers break grammatical rules frequently. And so they should.

multitool

Pharaoh
That's true, but I have already seen sentences - not on here - that I cannot understand due to the dreadful spelling and grammar.

The rate is currently 'one in a million', but complacency is a dangerous thing.

Whereas you are perfectly capable of forming sentences that observe orthographic and syntactic conventions yet are completely devoid of meaningful content.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Press on down this road if you want to, but you are in for a pasting - if I can maintain the interest.

hqdefault.jpg

multitool

Pharaoh
Not really, but if you and others had any idea of the blood, sweat and tears involved in producing papers such as the Daily Mail you wouldn't be quite so quick to slag them off.

It's a joke newspaper written by amoral people and read by morons.

It does dismay me when I see the generally poor standard of spelling and grammar on this forum and others, because it indicates a failed education system.

Which wouldn't be so bad if that system was cheap, but we pay a great deal for it.

Lots of teachers regularly moan about low pay, yet they are turning out generations of children who can barely read or write.

I'd double their money - if they could double the standard of the pupils.

And yet the UK literacy rate is 99%, which puts it on the same level as countries such as Germany, Sweden, France, Japan, Netherlands and higher than Singapore which is often touted as an example of an effective education system.

It's no wonder that you defend the Daily Fail, given your love of foghorning utter opinionated nonsense, with no grounding in reality.

Last edited:

multitool

Pharaoh
There you go yet again, nothing other than a snipe at the poster.

Why don't you post something on topic?

Anything will do, even one of your sub-CSE level cod psychology lectures on feminism.

They are always good for a laugh.

Several of the hard of thinking on here always lap them up, so it's a win-win.

After the "ephemeral symbiosis" episode which you claimed had no meaning, but understood the notion when reframed in pedestrian language for a simpleton, I'm surprised you are opening yourself up for yet more ridicule so readily.

Glutton for punishment. The Black Knight of the forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
a snipe at the poster.

sub-CSE level cod psychology lectures on feminism.

good for a laugh.

the hard of thinking on here always lap them up

Do you type this shit with a straight face?

And yet the UK literacy rate is 99%, which puts it on the same level as countries such as Germany, Sweden, France, Japan, Netherlands and higher than Singapore which is often touted as an example of an effective education system.

Where does 99% come from and how is 'literacy' measured?

Not saying you're making it up but as somebody working with Joe Public I'd put functional illiteracy well above 1%

D

Deleted member 121

Not saying you're making it up but as somebody working with Joe Public I'd put functional illiteracy well above 1%

I believe it is published by UNESCO.

multitool

Pharaoh

I used the UNESCO data. Easily googlable with descriptors. The comparison is what I was after to counter the Pallid One's waffle. See also PIRL ranking. UK is 4th.

WRT your experiences with the "public", remember that your sample may be self-selecting ie.the people you meet may all form the 1% of illiterates!

It's defined as something like 'Being able to read and write a simple sentence in your own language', or used to be anyway.

There are few in the UK who are illiterate by these standards by many will have lower standards of written English. It's due to a variety of factors, not all related to standards of teaching.

Last edited:
Top Bottom