Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Crofted Crest

You've just ended a sentence with a comma.

Twice, actually.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
No worries, some healthy competition keeps everyone on their toes.

Although if you don't know the correct form in the first place you are in trouble.

This is arrogant bollocks from someone who has made a career in using words, usually correctly, hopefully.

It is not important for anyone whose work does not involve writing to get such things as grammatical rules absolutely correct as long as they can make themselves understood adequately. It is no more important than an English teacher being able to explain the workings of an internal combustion engine as long as they know how to start the car and drive it.

CXRAndy

Guru
Patrick Strudwick activist journalist has had to publicly apologise to Kellie J Keen for defaming her.

I'm sure her compensation payout was satisfactory too

Good for her

Pale Rider

Veteran
This is arrogant bollocks from someone who has made a career in using words, usually correctly, hopefully.

It is not important for anyone whose work does not involve writing to get such things as grammatical rules absolutely correct as long as they can make themselves understood adequately. It is no more important than an English teacher being able to explain the workings of an internal combustion engine as long as they know how to start the car and drive it.

Which of the several people taking part in this diversion do you mean?

Oh, only me.

There's a surprise.

'You know what I mean' is an argument, but the logical conclusion is that without an adhered to standard we fail to communicate with each other.

It's not a competition. Try to be more consensual, less aggrieved.

I rather looks like a competition with a number of posters going through my posts with a fine toothed comb.

I'm not aggrieved, the more people concentrate on the written word the better - in my view.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

Oh, only me.

There's a surprise.

'You know what I mean' is an argument, but the logical conclusion is that without an adhered to standard we fail to communicate with each other.

I rather looks like a competition with a number of posters going through my posts with a fine toothed comb.

I'm not aggrieved, the more people concentrate on the written word the better - in my view.

As I replied to you I meant you.

I was specifically referring to your second sentence.

Your 'logical conclusion' is a point of view rather than a fact as it is perfectly possible to communicate effectively without strict adherence to the standards of English grammar, the interpretation of which has changed over the years.

If you live by the sword etc. etc., or even by the pen.

multitool

Pharaoh

Ple rdr is a msv wnkr.

See yu dnt nd to obsv mny rls fr efctve cmunctn to ocr

multitool

Pharaoh

Oh, only me.

There's a surprise.

cry mr

Pale Rider

Veteran
Your 'logical conclusion' is a point of view rather than a fact as it is perfectly possible to communicate effectively without strict adherence to the standards of English grammar, the interpretation of which has changed over the years.

That's true, but I have already seen sentences - not on here - that I cannot understand due to the dreadful spelling and grammar.

The rate is currently 'one in a million', but complacency is a dangerous thing.

Top Bottom