Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
I've wasted a good deal of my life being tolerant when I really ought to have been more militant.

Yeah me too.

I used to be a bit of a people pleaser - worry that I wasn't being 'nice' or 'tolerant' enough.

That I should be able to put up with having any old shizzle handed to me, and that being angry or expressing anger was 'wrong' in some way.

But thankfully those days are over now.

Anger at injustice, can be a real motivator for action and change.

Just depends on whether you can creatively express and direct it, rather end up being destructive.

And you also have to remember to conserve energy, pick your battles, and take enough breaks, so as not to burn out.

That last part takes a bit of working out.

In between all the nonsense on here I've definitely learnt a lot.
From many people who have far greater experience and knowledge in certain fields than I do.

But also from having to think about and put my position forwards, to a not always so very receptive audience.

It does feel like the place is running it's course / fizzling out in some ways - but who knows?? Maybe that's just the slightly bad tempered dog-days of summer showing themselves 🤔.

Anyhoo up I have Irish campsites and route planning to research..
So also in the spirit of using my time more wisely...

Toodlepip fer noo. :bicycle:

multitool

Pharaoh
What's all this shite about being thin skinned?

Just because I won't take the abuse lying down?

Nor do you or anyone else, so we must all be thin skinned.

At least I've caused you to examine your last dozen or so posts.

If you are happy with targeting one poster so comprehensively, fine.

Doesn't chime with your leftie tolerant of others persona, but I suppose no one has made hypocrisy illegal.

Whatever you post, I will continue to make any observation I feel like making.

Instead of whining about that, you may as well get used to it.

Weirdo stalker.

Have you tried posting on topic. And perhaps something that isn't about you?

Pale Rider

Veteran
Funny that. I don't recall ever claiming to be tolerant of arseholes.

You do realise that every name you call me names dilutes the names you've called me already.

It's already become meaningless, not least because apart from a few posts you disagree with, you have zero evidence.

Why not try, just for once, to focus on the post, not the poster?

I can’t condone his actions, but the festival is losing some of its edginess and leaving itself open to easy criticism by cancelling acts it doesn’t like on a purely political basis.
It’s a dangerous road to go down.

It’s Bazake. It’s deliberate and obvious fake news satire.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
It’s Bazake. It’s deliberate and obvious fake news satire.

While that's true, I agree with @Beebo that cancelling his act because of his (IMO awful views) isn't a great look. However, the organisers of the event obviously knew what the reaction would be by keeping his name a mystery, if I've read another article about it correctly.

While that's true, I agree with @Beebo that cancelling his act because of his (IMO awful views) isn't a great look. However, the organisers of the event obviously knew what the reaction would be by keeping his name a mystery, if I've read another article about it correctly.

Cancellation can be a bit of a grey area but ultimately a private venue should be free to make their own decisions and then accept the reputational consequences that follow. I think it’s even more grey with publicly funded events.

Last edited:
That would mean providers of goods and services are free to discriminate against people on the basis of their beliefs, even if those beliefs are legal to hold. This time it might be gender critical beliefs, next time it might be because those booking are gay or Muslim.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
That would mean providers of goods and services are free to discriminate against people on the basis of their beliefs, even if those beliefs are legal to hold. This time it might be gender critical beliefs, next time it might be because those booking are gay or Muslim.

Being a nasty c*nt is not a protected characteristic.

Your argument is ridiculous. Think about it.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
There's a continuum that goes (not to scale)

Fluffy kittens
Graham Linehan
The actual Holocaust

If you can find an objective way of drawing the line where companies should be legally obliged to provide goods and services then go ahead and tell me.

What is offensive is always subjective to some extent but it's for the law to decide whether refusing goods and services to someone on the basis of their beliefs is discrimination or not surely? If you leave it up to the individual then you are legalising all prejudices, both those you agree with and those you don't.

What if it's a service providers opinion that a gay comedian is a 'nasty c*nt'? Or that a black comedian is a 'nasty c*nt'? Would you have the law defend their right to provide goods and services on that basis?

It's nonsense to suggest the law should protect only people whose attitudes and beliefs you agree with.

Top Bottom