Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
That may be true, but it's unrealistic to expect the clubs/Premier League to spend money on anything they don't want to.

It seems to me the women's game needs a plan that has at least a small chance of success.

Making their game as attractive as the men's would do it, but that looks very difficult to me.

At my team - Tottenham - the women were complaining during the poor weather they weren't getting to play on top quality pitches.

That's true, their 'home' ground is presently Leyton Orient's Brisbane Road, where they routinely get a thousand or so supporters.

Their complaints will continue to fall on deaf ears until such time as they can get 60,000 to pay to watch, week in, week out.

As our weasly but extremely astute chairman Daniel Levy said, every team in the top women's league is losing money.

Is there a reason they can't play at the club's main stadium?

Pale Rider

Veteran
Is there a reason they can't play at the club's main stadium?

They do, very occasionally, particularly when they can whip up some extra interest in a game, for example against Ars*nal or Man Utd.

But our super duper stadium costs a lot to run, so opening it for a crowd of 1,500 would lose even more money than playing at the Orient.

There's also bound to be timetabling problems, although I suspect they could be overcome.

Teams have shared grounds in the past, I don't know if teams being in different leagues makes that harder or easier.

mudsticks

Squire
Apart from women only competitions encouraging female participation and giving space for the women's game to grow, here is former Women's no 1 Susan Polgar describing the difficulties for girls who wish to take part in competitive chess:

https://chessdailynews.com/why-is-there-a-need-for-girls-or-womens-tournaments/

Sounds a bit grim to be honest. It's why she took to organising girls only tournaments.

Yes. It seems that the issue isn't in the actual *playing* of chess but in the attitudes of the organisers and players.

And these are the grim attitudes we will still find in so many hitherto 'male dominated' areas across the board, from 'sport' to politics, to STEM disciplines and occupations.

So much gatekeeping both overt and covert

Conditions created, which intentionally or otherwise exclude, or deter women.

From banal sexism like dumb guys saying stuff like 'women can't operate heavy machinery' or 'women aren't any good at science' to all kinds of low level (and high level) harassment and diminishment of women because of their sex.

I've seen and heard too much of it myself, and heard so.many reports of it from other women, for it just to be isolated incidents.

I used to (naively perhaps) believe there was something like equality of opportunity, that sexism had pretty much gone away, and that any residue of it was almost 'accidental' and that it would be immediately be sorted if it was pointed out.

Now I see that there is actually quite a deliberate and concerted push back against true gender equality.
It's part of the pantheon of 'anti wokeness'

And I think that fact has something to do with why there is more 'difficulty' around some people accepting the whole full transgender rights situation.

Pale Rider

Veteran
So if this venue is so inclusive, how can it discriminate against a comedian?

As ever those preaching tolerance and inclusiveness are the least tolerant and inclusive of all.

multitool

Pharaoh
So if this venue is so inclusive, how can it discriminate against a comedian?

As ever those preaching tolerance and inclusiveness are the least tolerant and inclusive of all.

If you can manage it, try to pause and think first before farting out the most moronic platitude that flits into your mind.

Inclusiveness does not need to include hate-speech. In fact, it needs to exclude it if it wants to be inclusive. A venue that wants to include all racial groups cannot, for example, include racists.

Stupid binaries are the preserve of the dim, and posting "as ever" is meaningless unless you can demonstrate evidence. But, we all know you never do, because you can't.

Pale Rider

Veteran
If you can manage it, try to pause and think first before farting out the most moronic platitude that flits into your mind.

Inclusiveness does not need to include hate-speech. In fact, it needs to exclude it if it wants to be inclusive. A venue that wants to include all racial groups cannot, for example, include racists.

Stupid binaries are the preserve of the dim, and posting "as ever" is meaningless unless you can demonstrate evidence. But, we all know you never do, because you can't.

Don't start all that crap again.

The comic's beliefs are legal to hold and relatively benign.

There is no excuse to exclude him from inclusiveness other than a desire to discriminate against him.

Which is what the venue is doing.

That's fine, discriminate away - he'll get over it, but don't insult everyone's intelligence by claiming how inclusive you are.

As for you, try thinking about the post before launching into your usual cut and paste abuse of the poster.

Plenty of ordinary people being reported to their employers for holding mainstream views on this issue, or having disciplinary action taken against them and such.

https://www.jccf.ca/nurse-being-investigated-by-college-of-nurses-for-her-gender-critical-views/

Everything is a big joke to you obviously, it's your sole purpose for posting, but unfortunately this nonsense does affect those who don't have Linehan's platform.

Not gender critical views but not that dissimilar to what people have faced:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nation...wcm/a50fa4ee-ffb2-4467-a208-9f78a3544c44/amp/

Getting someone to kill themselves is the ultimate raising your game I suppose.

Might this be less about cancellation/no-platforming than about reactionary gammon's sense of entitlement to all of the platforms, all of the time?

It's about you joking that there isn't enough cancelling going on if Linehan can still be heard. You seem to want to ignore that plenty of ordinary people are facing the same, and worse. If I posted on here joking about trans suicide though I wonder what reaction I would get.

Top Bottom