Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Pharaoh
Why? By your reckoning they will be safer in a male prison as there are fewer assaults. Surely you're not suggesting men are a danger to female bodied people in vulnerable spaces and it would be better to keep men away from them?

No, I was thinking that by your reckoning they are women, and therefore should be in the prison of their biological sex thus exposing them to an increased risk of violence than they would otherwise face were they housed by gender identity.

They should be in women's prisons, yes. They might statistically face a higher chance of assault but I would imagine they'd rather take their chances sharing a cell with an average 11st, 5'3" woman than an average 13st, 5'10" male with male pattern violence. Ditto showers.

Sounds like it's better all round if we segregate prisons on the basis of sex just like Elizabeth Fry suggested 200 years ago. It's worked pretty well.

I would imagine it will be reported elsewhere too if you care to look for a more highbrow description of a man who abducted and raped his care worker suddenly deciding he's a woman and wanting a move to a women's jail.

You seem to have an incessant unwillingness to accept that people aren't always what they say they are.

multitool

Pharaoh
No, I'm just very wary of people amplifying a hate agenda, whether inadvertently or not.

I'd say exactly the same about the Islamophobic sh1te in tabloids or on social media that was all the rage before the anti-trans campaign took off in earnest.

You know the sort of thing I mean? Constantly posting links to tabloid reports of Muslim paedophiles (but never the white ones, even though there are numerically about 8x more) in the realistic hope that dimwits with a predisposition to bigotry start to associate Muslims with criminal sexual deviancy.

mudsticks

Squire
Maybe, just maybe, the media are selecting Scottish cases of this type over English?

No reason for them to do so of course.

Of course there's every reason for the focus to be on Scotland right now.

Another persons take on how it's all going north of the border.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...on-this-is-about-balancing-conflicting-rights

Wasn't one of the issues with Muslim grooming gangs the fact that the police didn't act because they thought it might reflect badly on the Muslim community? If anything it's an example that all men should face the same scrutiny and no men should be exempt because they belong to a particular community.

I think if Muslims were holding demonstrations with placards saying 'Decapitate xxxx' it wouldn't be considered bigoted or hateful to report or discuss it. Perhaps transactivists could stop threatening to murder people if they don't want to see it reported in the tabloids.

Transwomen are demanding access to women's changing rooms, refuges, prisons, and sports so these are all legitimate issues for discussion. It's not unreasonable that these demands are reported and face scrutiny, even if the reporting is at times salacious.

Maybe, just maybe, the media are selecting Scottish cases of this type over English?

No reason for them to do so of course.

Or maybe it's just easier to get a move in the Scottish system and it's worth chancing your arm. Don't half of them detransition after release? (Could be lots of reasons for that, obviously, but interesting nonetheless).

multitool

Pharaoh
Wasn't one of the issues with Muslim grooming gangs the fact that the police didn't act because they thought it might reflect badly on the Muslim community?

From memory, no. The principal reason IIRC was that the victims were not believed.

Transwomen are demanding access to women's changing rooms, refuges, prisons, and sports so these are all legitimate issues for discussion. It's not unreasonable that these demands are reported and face scrutiny, even if the reporting is at times salacious.

Sure, I agree. But I'm talking about the nature of the discussion and how it is conducted. Are you not even slightly uncomfortable with the parallel between your methodology and that of Tommy Robinson. Does not the fact that your source material is predominantly the Daily Maily and other tabloids give you even the briefest pause for thought?

The ethnic origin of both the offenders and victims was clearly a relevant issue and both the Jay report on Rotherham and the Newsome and Ridgeway report on Manchester both suggested police and councils downplayed concerns because they were afraid of inflating racial tensions.

Again though, the most obvious feature of the hundreds of assaults catalogued is that the assailants were 100% male and the victims were almost exclusively female.

As to the reporting..... it's very odd that there are demos organised by transactivists who proudly threaten to assault women, and where protestors hold signs up saying 'Decapitate Terfs', and you think the most concerning factor is that it's in the Daily Mail.

The guilt by association thing just won't wash I'm afraid. Perhaps transactivists could give the tabloids less to report on by not being so utterly batsh*t in their demands and attitude.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Wasn't one of the issues with Muslim grooming gangs the fact that the police didn't act because they thought it might reflect badly on the Muslim community?

Ah the Muslamic Ray Guns. Anyway, as MT suggests above, the much more decisive and damning factor was that the police (and other authorities) clearly shared the perpetrators' views of the victims. This continues to be the case. This prompts an interesting (to me) diversion which I don't have time to bang on about just now but might return to later. Contain your excitement, peeps.

Top Bottom