Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
You need to check the definition of portmanteau as applied to words. Your hyphenation isn't one.

I really don't - I can easily spot when the cúnts on here are being cúnts, thanks.

I see ignore the article that learning disabilities young adult sent for surgery. Long live trans ideology!

Should we allow adults with disabilities agency over their own medical treatments? Should they enjoy patient confidentiality? Yes to both, with appropriate competence safeguards. I suspect nobody beyond the patient, their family, and the medical team involved knows anything much about this case, which is as it should be.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I see ignore the article that learning disabilities young adult sent for surgery. Long live trans ideology!

Article? I'm ignoring every video you post, because you're a spammer.

Should we allow adults with disabilities agency over their own medical treatments? Should they enjoy patient confidentiality? Yes to both, with appropriate competence safeguards. I suspect nobody beyond the patient, their family, and the medical team involved knows anything much about this case, which is as it should be.

Even when that medical pathway is drugs with irreversible effects or surgery? And is for mental distress not a physical issue? For an issue that resolves on its own through therapy or if a watchful waiting approach is taken?

I haven't watched the video but presume it's about the recent case where a young person with complex and multiple special needs and diagnoses, including being unable to read or write or live on their own as I recall, was judged competent to start cross sex hormones treatment.

You would struggle to get a vasectomy or sterilisation on the NHS under 30 because of the chances of regret and not understanding permanent infertility at a young age, but yet you can have complex psychological and social needs and understand the irreversible nature of cross sex hormones and what it means to be chemically sterilised?

If it all goes wrong for this individual - and they regret the hair loss, deep voice, uterine atrophy, unseen medical effects - none of us will have to pick up the pieces. If this was your own child I think you would feel differently.

icowden

Legendary Member
Should we allow adults with disabilities agency over their own medical treatments?
That depends on their disability. This boy specifically has learning disabilities. That means that it is very likely that his decision making is at a very basic level and requires additional support.

Aurora has replied in more detail. Disabilities aren't just "I have no leg".

icowden

Legendary Member
Article? I'm ignoring every video you post, because you're a spammer.
To be fair, I ignored it because it's an interview from a man who thinks you can grow concrete. A very quick scan of it however suggests that it isn't particularly extreme and mostly discusses an idea we have mentioned on here before - if you go to a doctor and say I hate my fingers, I want them removed, the treatment isn't to make sure that that's what you want and then remove them. The treatment is a referral to Mental Health Services.

I'm sure multitool will jump in here to protest that it's another straw man, but I think many people remain to be persuaded that irreversible life changing invasive surgery is the best way to treat someone who has become unhappy with their body.

Ian H

Guru
To be fair, I ignored it because it's an interview from a man who thinks you can grow concrete. A very quick scan of it however suggests that it isn't particularly extreme and mostly discusses an idea we have mentioned on here before - if you go to a doctor and say I hate my fingers, I want them removed, the treatment isn't to make sure that that's what you want and then remove them. The treatment is a referral to Mental Health Services.
Like many things, it's complicated. https://www.nursingtimes.net/roles/...ptable-to-amputate-a-healthy-limb-29-08-2014/

Top Bottom