Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Newcastle fan Linzi Smith banned by the club for believing their are only males and female sex

So my finger didn't hit the 'r' key and I clicked 'save' without looking.

Whereas you don't know the difference between 'there' and 'their'.

(I think we can safely assume you don't know what they're is either)

They say pride comes before a fall :whistle:

Oh the out-of-context 'floppy dick' dismissive comments begin again. Think you can do better? As you are the critic here, why don't you come up with a short form of words that catches all of the target group, and excludes all of those not in the target group, and then send it to the NHS for consideration?

You just posted totally wrong information about women's health needs - which completely illustrates the need for clear language and more knowledge - and you're trying to suggest there's nothing better than 'people who menstruate'?

'Women and transmen need regular smear tests from age 25. Please see your doctor if you are over 70, or have had a hysterectomy and aren't sure if you need a test'.

Much better than 'people who menstuate' or omitting 'woman' altogether and just saying 'people with a cervix'. Lots of women haven't heard of cervixes, especially if English isn't their first language, and many who have had hysterectomies won't know if the cervix was also removed.

monkers

Legendary Member
You just posted totally wrong information about women's health needs - which completely illustrates the need for clear language and more knowledge - and you're trying to suggest there's nothing better than 'people who menstruate'?

'Women and transmen need regular smear tests from age 25. Please see your doctor if you are over 70, or have had a hysterectomy and aren't sure if you need a test'.

Much better than 'people who menstuate' or omitting 'woman' altogether and just saying 'people with a cervix'. Lots of women haven't heard of cervixes, especially if English isn't their first language, and many who have had hysterectomies won't know if the cervix was also removed.

I made an error. I followed it up with a correction.

I said it's an effective filter. I'll remain of that opinion until you come up with a more effective filter, then I'll support you. Until then ...

As an aside, we all have a cervix regardless of sex or gender. The word just means 'neck'.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 159

So my finger didn't hit the 'r' key and I clicked 'save' without looking.

Whereas you don't know the difference between 'there' and 'their'.

(I think we can safely assume you don't know what they're is either)

They say pride comes before a fall :whistle:

Don't forget I'm thick, so can easily be forgiven.

Whilst you claim to be superior

Better to be happy with who you are,
than ignorant of what you're not

monkers

Legendary Member
This is a worrying trend. Most men won't know about it and early diagnosis is vital. I saw an interview where Michael Douglas said it was the cause of his own throat cancer.

All the more reason for clear and accurate medical language really.

'Menstruate' is an example of clear and accurate medical language.

D

Deleted member 159

Oh so it's you who always reads the fortune cookies.

Depends how you value fortune.

Internet arse end sub forum superiority or something a bit more tangible which you can help your nearest and dearest in life

'Menstruate' is an example of clear and accurate medical language.

Amongst medics it is. For the general public, 'women who have periods' is much clearer than 'people who menstruate', and you can add 'transmen' (who will know who they are) to cover all.

There's no point using language like 'people with a cervix' in order to be inclusive when "Almost half of women (44.2%) are unaware of what the cervix is, are unable to correctly identify it as the neck of the womb (uterus)..... One in six could also not name a single function of the cervix".

https://www.jostrust.org.uk/node/666780

monkers

Legendary Member
Depends how you value fortune.

Internet arse end sub forum superiority or something a bit more tangible which you can help your nearest and dearest in life

It wasn't Brianna Ghey's good fortune to be killed by two sadists who chatted on an 'internet arse end sub forum' was it. It's no use pretending that transphobia on the internet is not a contributory factor to the fear experienced by trans people.

Last edited:

monkers

Legendary Member
Amongst medics it is. For the general public, 'women who have periods' is much clearer than 'people who menstruate', and you can add 'transmen' (who will know who they are) to cover all.

There's no point using language like 'people with a cervix' in order to be inclusive when "Almost half of women (44.2%) are unaware of what the cervix is, are unable to correctly identify it as the neck of the womb (uterus)..... One in six could also not name a single function of the cervix".

Periods of what? Depression?

'Period' is not just a medical term. When I was a teenager at school, lessons appeared as periods one to seven each day on the timetable.

'People who menstruate' is a clear message to the target group. It may not be perfect, but you have come up with nothing better (so far), but then you had to reach to academia to say what a woman isn't while attempting the question of what a woman is.

'Period' is a much more common term amongst women and girls than 'menstruation'. I have literally never heard any girl or woman say 'I'm menstruating' rather than 'I'm on my period'. When they try to raise awareness about bowel cancer the NHS say 'blood in your poo' because it's simple and clear and uses common terms. It's not the medical term, which is hermatochezia. If they started using that on the posters I wonder how many cases would be missed.

'Period' is a much more common term amongst women and girls than 'menstruation'. I have literally never heard any girl or woman say 'I'm menstruating' rather than 'I'm on my period'. When they try to raise awareness about bowel cancer the NHS say 'blood in your poo' because it's simple and clear and uses common terms. It's not the medical term, which is hermatochezia. If they started using that on the posters I wonder how many cases would be missed.
That's not correct.

D

Deleted member 121

Of a Survey of 1,040 women aged 16 and older... Which is a tiny group and could be subject to many social and economic variables.

It's not correct to say of women, insinuating the population. Which could be incorrectly assumed in your statement since you didn't include the survey details from your source. But do note that you included the link for us to check, which is appreciated.

Top Bottom