Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Guru
I'm struggling to understand how the Cass report could be a piece of "scientific research".

I've not read it, and I've certainly not read the commentary on it, but my understanding is that it is a critique and not research.

It mostly ignores the available research.

CXRAndy

Veteran

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Cass is not research, it's a report. All the available studies on transgender health care for minors, including benefits/safety of puberty blockers, were independently assessed by York University using the standard methodology of the Newcastle Ottawa scale and graded. No studies were ignored but less weight was given to those judged to be of poorer quality.

There are a number of reviews across the world, all of which say the Cass Review is a flawed piece of work.

Here's but one example ...

https://gcn.ie/irish-academics-letter-criticising-cass-review/

This isn't a review. It's an opinion piece on an online LGBQT site with an agenda. They aren't independent journalists. That letter seems to demand care based on people's bodily autonomy (for kids??) yet says it must be based on quality research. Which is what Cass does. It looked at all the research and concluded some of it was missing or lacking. We are talking about children here. They deserved evidence based treatment and some were badly let down.

icowden

Legendary Member
Multi is right. You've repeatedly pushed the point that self ID would allow such behaviour.
No, he is wrong, because that isn't what he stated. He stated this quite clearly:-
Have they had the deluge of men pretending to be women purely in order to gain access to women's loos (that they have always had, there and here by the way) purely in order to perv? Remember, Iain, this is what you claimed would happen.
To be clear - I have never ever even suggested that there would be a deluge of men pretending to be women to gain access to women's loos.
This is now the third time I have pointed this out.

I *have* on the other hand suggested that from what we see on social media there does appear to be a grotesque cohort of men pretending to be women, largely to be unpleasant, or predatory towards women, or just to enjoy it as some sort of fetish. For example the teacher, Kayla Lemieux who wore prosthetic Z sized breasts. I don't for a minute believe that they are someone with gender dysmorphia who desperately wants to live as a woman, and to associate men like this with actual transwomen does a great disservice to transwomen and exemplifies why there still need to be some considerations around the safety and rights of biological women.

CXRAndy

Veteran
This is the most embarrassing, shocking admission from professionals directly involved in the drug/surgical mutilation of children

Sixteen senior psychologists reveal how their profession failed young people at Gender Identity Development Service clinics

They're either truly sorry or just trying to cover their complicit actions with a bit of public atonement

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Assuming that's from the Grauniad, as the headline appears to be, it helps if you actually put the whole piece there, you know for a bit of wider context...

"We write as clinical psychologists with longstanding concerns about the scandal unfolding at Gender Identity Development Service clinics. Some of us are former Gids clinicians. While welcoming your editorial stance, we would like to point out that it is not just the medical profession that has “much to reflect on”.

These were psychology-led services. Whether intentionally or not, and many were doing their best in an impossible situation, it was clinical psychologists who promoted an ideology that was almost impossible to challenge; who, as the Cass report found, largely failed to carry out proper assessments of troubled young people, and thus put many on an “irreversible medical pathway” that in most cases was inappropriate; and who failed in their most basic duty to keep proper records.

It is also our professional body, the British Psychological Society, that has failed (despite years of pressure) to produce guidelines for clinicians working with young people in this complex area; and that, forced into making an official response for the first time, now minimises its own role in events and calls for “more psychology” as the answer. We are ashamed of the role psychology has played.

What happened at Gids was a multi-factorial systemic failure, but when the Observer rightly calls for “accountability for the managers and clinicians who pursued such unethical practice and caused avoidable harm to young people”, we believe the role of our own profession should be fully examined."

It's interesting that it says "names supplied" rather than being actually published. I suppose that's down to the climate of fear, but I could be wrong.

It also seems a very slopey shouldered way of saying "We're sorry, we knew what was going on but it's not actually our fault", although again that's just my take on it.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
More records in women's sport, this time as Nelly Korda equals 5 LPGA tour wins in a row, which considering it's only been done twice before is pretty impressive:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/68871694

CXRAndy

Veteran
“accountability for the managers and clinicians who pursued such unethical practice and caused avoidable harm to young people”

Children experimented on for the benefit of depraved so called clinicians

They should be hunted down , prosecutions, long sentence terms

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Children experimented on for the benefit of depraved so called clinicians

They should be hunted down , prosecutions, long sentence terms

TELEMMGLPICT000321781613_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqSna8uhnqpjy95r-4bhjrRKVKsasUZ7eLDZfUlaGkS5I.jpg

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Vincent Price, one of my all time favourite actors

Yes, such a wonderful voice. I remember him reciting Oscar Wilde's The Harlot's House on Wogan. Would have loved to have seen his Oscar Wilde one man show.

There are certainly figures whose role in this saga deserves more analysis, like Polly Carmichael of GIDS, Susie Green of Mermaids, and the 2 Dr Webberleys, but there's little chance of anybody being admonished let alone struck off (Michael Webberley already has been) . The buck passing has already started with Stonewall's Ruth Hunt back pedalling and blaming the doctors and there'll be more of this.

Top Bottom