Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Veteran
Single sex lavatories were always compulsory for certain buildings.

There have always been gender neutral facilities.

This isn't new.

Why the regulation change?

John Lewis are well known to have replaced many of their single sex for unisex. It will be mandatory requirement for new construction and renovation.

multitool

Shaman

There hasn't been a regulation change. It's a proposed law from the culture war element of the Tory party.

This is just another example of people jockeying for position for future leadership of the party when they lose the next election.

AndyRM

Elder Goth

John Lewis are well known to have replaced many of their single sex for unisex. It will be mandatory requirement for new construction and renovation.

Perhaps in your silent majority they're well known for that?

John Lewis have had bigger issues in recent years than concerned citizens such as yourself getting their panties in a bunch about who's doing their business in which facility.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Printing DEI rubbish instead of paying dividends to hardworking staff

The two are unrelated.

But yes, "DEI rubbish" is what has led to their questionable financial decisions if that's what helps you sleep at night.

"Diversity did for my dividends" is quite snappy don't you think? Surprised it hasn't popped up on one of your news feeds. Please tell me if it does so I can sue.

multitool

Shaman
If separate male and female toilets are allegedly absolutely essential for health, safety and dignity, why are disabled people expected to share just one toilet between all genders?

<Somewhere in a distant galaxy, Aurora's circuits explode>

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
If separate male and female toilets are allegedly absolutely essential for health, safety and dignity, why are disabled people expected to share just one toilet between all genders?
Because a large enclosed cubicle, with its own loo and washing facilities, used by one person at a time only, is not the same as a unisex toilet with a row of urinals and a few cubicles where there may be several people at once.

<Somewhere in a distant galaxy, Aurora's circuits explode>

You're the one whose brain can't grasp the difference between an enclosed one person cubicle and a communal facility. Thanks for the 215th name check though.

Edit: Btw, places can still have unisex loos. They just have to also have separate sex ones. Win, win for everybody.

Last edited:

multitool

Shaman
You're the one whose brain can't grasp the difference between an enclosed one person cubicle and a communal facility. Thanks for the 215th name check though.

Ah, I see. Somehow the prospect of washing one's hands in public is an affront to women's dignity and safety.

How do women cope doing anything at all (shopping, working etc) in close proximity to men? Or is it specific to washing one's hands in a room?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It's not really the hand washing that's the problem is it? What's your objection to men and women having their own facilities in addition to unisex ones?

multitool

Shaman
It's not really the hand washing that's the problem is it? What's your objection to men and women having their own facilities in addition to unisex ones?

Sorry, to be clear. Women's toilets are in private cubicles, are they not?

How do you manage on a plane when you come out of a cubicle and there's a man next in line?

Must be a terrible affront to your dignity.

classic33

Because a large enclosed cubicle, with its own loo and washing facilities, used by one person at a time only, is not the same as a unisex toilet with a row of urinals and a few cubicles where there may be several people at once.
It's a larger than a normal cubicle for more than one reason. One of those being the fact that often there's a carer helping the disabled person move.

That everything is available in that one "large enclosed cubicle" is in no way different to the fact that there's everything in an able bodied toilet.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Sorry, to be clear. Women's toilets are in private cubicles, are they not? How do you manage on a plane when you come out of a cubicle and there's a man next in line? Must be a terrible affront to your dignity.

He's stood in the aisle, in view of 200 other people. I'm not alone with him while he's peeing in a urinal and standing between me and a closed door. Feel free to use the unisex loos, and send your children, boys and girls, into the unisex toilets if you like. It'll leave the cubicles free in the Women's for those of us who don't want to share with men.

Most men I know are slightly mortified to find themselves in the same toilets as women but obviously it's #not all men.

Top Bottom