Gordon Brown 2. The Proper Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Let's do this again shall we?

We have, at least, one politician with a moral compass and he's the only senior politician speaking out publicly about the current financial mess the UK's in. I'm surprised that no-one has started a thread about this.

He carried out a study which has noted that by October, 50% of children (7 million kids) will be living in households that have to do without material necessities. By January, 39 million people could be fuel poor, those that spend more than 10% of their income on energy bills. In his home area of Fife, he's seeing levels of poverty that haven't been witnessed since the 30s. Youngsters going to school on empty stomachs and/or unsuitable shoes and nurses queueing at food banks.

However, this is the zinger for me. Warmbanks. This is something I heard about last week, the Mayor of Bristol and Aberdeen Council are planning these. Other areas of the UK are planning the same. Places for people to go if their homes get too cold. That is just astonishing! In fact, simply horrifying!

GB says, correctly, that the line of defence should be the welfare state. After all, that's what it was set up for, not food banks or warmbanks. In Fife, there are not just warmbanks and foodbanks, but a bedding bank, a clothes bank, a baby bank, a hygiene bank and a toiletries bank. I'm sure that'll be repeated in other areas of the UK. This is what's supposed to be the 5th richest nation on earth. Although, I think we may've dropped down that ranking now.

Before anyone starts screaming about Iraq or selling the gold, which is a usual whataboutery, just ask yourself one question. Was your day to day life better under Prime Minister Gordon Brown or now?

All this is going on while Sunak and Truss talk about the cost of ear rings and cutlery, and BJ is taking a holiday, presumably paid by someone who'll get a peerage, from cosplaying various roles. GB hasn't been PM for 12 years and he has better, and more workable ideas, than his party leader (who is also posted missing) and the people who are actually supposed to be in charge.

The world is looking on at this with utter astonishment.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/polit...r.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Again, you have used WE........your not a UK resident, so its not WE

Next time make the change before you copy and paste, basic IT skills really

jowwy

Get things right and no one needs to say anything....your quick enough in trolling others when they get things wrong, so practice what you preach.

Its simple really

Mr Celine

Before anyone starts screaming about Iraq or selling the gold, which is a usual whataboutery, just ask yourself one question. Was your day to day life better under Prime Minister Gordon Brown or now?
I was made compulsorily redundant from the civil service when Brown was PM.
So the answer to your question is no.

Brown can GTF and I'm unlikely to vote Labour again.

jowwy

Let's do this again shall we?

We have In the UK you have, at least, one politician with a moral compass and he's the only senior politician speaking out publicly about the current financial mess the UK's in. I'm surprised that no-one has started a thread about this.

He carried out a study which has noted that by October, 50% of children (7 million kids) will be living in households that have to do without material necessities. By January, 39 million people could be fuel poor, those that spend more than 10% of their income on energy bills. In his home area of Fife, he's seeing levels of poverty that haven't been witnessed since the 30s. Youngsters going to school on empty stomachs and/or unsuitable shoes and nurses queueing at food banks.

However, this is the zinger for me. Warmbanks. This is something I heard about last week, the Mayor of Bristol and Aberdeen Council are planning these. Other areas of the UK are planning the same. Places for people to go if their homes get too cold. That is just astonishing! In fact, simply horrifying!

GB says, correctly, that the line of defence should be the welfare state. After all, that's what it was set up for, not food banks or warmbanks. In Fife, there are not just warmbanks and foodbanks, but a bedding bank, a clothes bank, a baby bank, a hygiene bank and a toiletries bank. I'm sure that'll be repeated in other areas of the UK. This is what's supposed to be the 5th richest nation on earth. Although, I think we may've dropped down that ranking now.

All this is going on while Sunak and Truss talk about the cost of ear rings and cutlery, and BJ is taking a holiday, presumably paid by someone who'll get a peerage, from cosplaying various roles. GB hasn't been PM for 12 years and he has better, and more workable ideas, than his party leader (who is also posted missing) and the people who are actually supposed to be in charge.

The world is looking on at this with utter astonishment.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/polit...r.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Just to make sure its correct, i have yet again change the frst line in Ref to OUR UK government

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Before anyone starts screaming about Iraq or selling the gold, which is a usual whataboutery,
I see where you are going with this thread, but this line is simply an attempt to get in early and shut down discussion.

If anyone now points out, that Gordon Brown is now finding it easy to discover his conscience and principles because he doesn't have to actually implement any of his ideas you will just shrug it off as whataboutery. He could have done all the ground work for this when he was chancellor and PM for about 15 years, but he didn't, instead he was busy selling our gold reserves and backing an illegal war, you will say "But that is just whataboutery and I have already banned it".

The truth is, he could have laid the ground work for this, he could have changed rules, he could have not saddled the NHS with millions of PFI deals, he could have privatised, he could have changed tax rules but he didn't. He spent and spent to keep himself and Tony in power.

Now it is no longer his responsibility, he has magical and wonderful ideas.

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Über Member
I see where you are going with this thread, but this line is simply an attempt to get in early and shut down discussion.

If anyone now points out, that Gordon Brown is now finding it easy to discover his conscience and principles because he doesn't have to actually implement any of his ideas you will just shrug it off as whataboutery. He could have done all the ground work for this when he was chancellor and PM for about 15 years, but he didn't, instead he was busy selling our gold reserves and backing an illegal war, you will say "But that is just whataboutery and I have already banned it".

The truth is, he could have laid the ground work for this, he could have changed rules, he could have not saddled the NHS with millions of PFI deals, he could have privatised, he could have changed tax rules but he didn't. He spent and spent to keep himself and Tony in power.

Now it is no longer his responsibility, he has magical and wonderful ideas.

No-one knew that 9/11 was going to happen, which spiked the gold price as everyone took their money out of oil (mainly) and other commodities. How was GB supposed to know about that?

In May 2010, the UK economy grew by 2.2%. Debt was 65% of GDP, just 2 years after what was, then, the biggest financial crash since the 30s, created in Wall Street, not Downing Street. Debt is now 102.8% of GDP. Somehow that wouldn't have happened under a Brown Gov.

Within 18 months of the Tories taking over, we had a double dip recession, missing a triple dip by the skin of our teeth. We then had 10 years of austerity that killed thousands and increased debt by 20% (to 85% by 2020, OECD) when remember, austerity was supposed to pay down debt, not increase it.

I also remember that the Tories also backed the Iraq war too. Strange that you don't mention that.

However, what he says now is important. Not what he did 12+ years ago, now is the issue. Now is what this thread is about. And his ideas are not magical. He's just asking the current Gov to simply do their job.

The line is not there to shut down discussion, it's just to concentrate minds on the actual issue, what's going on now.

Last edited:

jowwy

No-one knew that 9/11 was going to happen, which spiked the gold price as everyone took their money out of oil (mainly) and other commodities. How was GB supposed to know about that?

In May 2010, the UK economy grew by 2.2%. Debt was 65% of GDP, just 2 years after what was, then, the biggest financial crash since the 30s, created in Wall Street, not Downing Street. Debt is now 102.8% of GDP. Somehow that wouldn't have happened under a Brown Gov.

Within 18 months of the Tories taking over, we had a double dip recession, missing a triple dip by the skin of our teeth. We then had 10 years of austerity that killed thousands and increased debt by 20% when remember, austerity was supposed to pay down debt, not increase it.

I also remember that the Tories also backed the Iraq war too. Strange that you don't mention that.

However, what he says now is important. Not what he did 12+ years ago, now is the issue. Now is what this thread is about. And his ideas are not magical. He's just asking the current Gov to simply do their job.

none of it matters to you, you dont live here.........

D

Deleted member 49

Peak 2022 politics Craig the Tory trying to deflect any sort of shite from the mess the Tories have left us in...and the rest trying to justify the Blair years lol...
Bring back Sir Tony and be done with it !

jowwy

Another devastatingly intellectual rebuttal from Jowwy.

I'm in awe of your intellect.

not

best go check the how well the HONK KONG government are doing running the country you live in, rather than worrying about the UK Government and Brexit

Top Bottom