Heathens moving ahead in England and Wales poll says....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
It seems to me that the official religion does get a public role much larger than the proportion of adherents would grant them.

It begs the question, why or how has the CofE failed when other religions seem to be fairly good health?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
It seems to me that the official religion does get a public role much larger than the proportion of adherents would grant them.

We hear a lot from and about it, but I'm not sure it makes much of a difference to life in this country other than for people to agree or disagree with.
It's bark is worse than it's bite so I lose not a minute's sleep over it...like an increasing proportion of the population.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
How much of a role in governance does the Christian faith have now?
A couple of bishops on the HOL? That’s about it.

From the graun....

But secularists and others now want an end to the Church of England’s position as an established church which requires King Charles to make an oath to preserve the Church of England, guarantees Church of England bishops and archbishops 26 seats in the House of Lords, and means state schools can be required to hold Christian worship.

Beebo

Veteran
From the graun....

But secularists and others now want an end to the Church of England’s position as an established church which requires King Charles to make an oath to preserve the Church of England, guarantees Church of England bishops and archbishops 26 seats in the House of Lords, and means state schools can be required to hold Christian worship.

Isn’t King Chas considering being Defender of the FaithS.
Let’s see what happens at the Coronation.

D

Deleted member 49

Maybe that's what puts many younger people in the country off religion....religious priviledge,the monarchy,Bishops in the house of lords.

D

Deleted member 49

And the fact it’s clearly all bollox.
Yea there's that ! But I try my best not to really insult anyone about their religious beliefs.Feck I live with a Irish Catholic,both my kids went to Catholic schools.They have made there own choices, they both think it's bollox.
My partner recently got asked on a application of her religion and said she felt guilty not ticking Catholic.Tried but couldn't lol

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It begs the question, why or how has the CofE failed when other religions seem to be fairly good health?

I don’t know about worldwide, but, in UK Catholic Church appears to be in decline. Catholic Church in France doesn’t appear too healthy either. Both observations based on Mrs @BoldonLad ‘s experience, I am not a member.

bobzmyunkle

FidS Def - obviously I don't do Latin. I'll keep an eye out for the coins. And as someone once said 'my sins are my own, they belong to me'.

icowden

Legendary Member
I think they have made a mistake. Back in the day, I went to church regularly to be choirboy, and later on to ensure my daughter got into the local church school (by singing in the church choir - so I feel like I gave enough to the church to justify it, even if I'm a non-believer!). The nice thing about CofE was that it was quite a casual church. A nice community where you could go for a sing or a pray, but there was no coercion and non-believers were as welcome as believers, usually in the hope that at some point they might change their mind.

When our local vicar retired and we got a new pair of vicars (married), suddenly advertising for Alpha courses started to spring up. The services became evangelical in nature and much more dogmatic. They started a campaign with the Diocese of Guildford to get rid of the head teacher of 18 years and made up accusations of breaching child protection guidelines and misconduct (tribunal found him innocent of all charges and that that the "Good Shepherd Trust" was guilty of wasting their time).

Then you have things like the appalling way that Richard Coles was treated when his partner was dying.

The Church of England is quietly destroying itself by being quite nasty and losing sight of what it used to be.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I think they have made a mistake. Back in the day, I went to church regularly to be choirboy, and later on to ensure my daughter got into the local church school (by singing in the church choir - so I feel like I gave enough to the church to justify it, even if I'm a non-believer!). The nice thing about CofE was that it was quite a casual church. A nice community where you could go for a sing or a pray, but there was no coercion and non-believers were as welcome as believers, usually in the hope that at some point they might change their mind.

When our local vicar retired and we got a new pair of vicars (married), suddenly advertising for Alpha courses started to spring up. The services became evangelical in nature and much more dogmatic. They started a campaign with the Diocese of Guildford to get rid of the head teacher of 18 years and made up accusations of breaching child protection guidelines and misconduct (tribunal found him innocent of all charges and that that the "Good Shepherd Trust" was guilty of wasting their time).

Then you have things like the appalling way that Richard Coles was treated when his partner was dying.

The Church of England is quietly destroying itself by being quite nasty and losing sight of what it used to be.

Sounds a bit "transactional" to me. Pleased I am not a member of that particular club.

Top Bottom