Hellhounds

Should there be a ban on breeding, selling and owning XL Bullies?

• Maiming machines with no place in public space - ban them now.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • It's not the dogs, it's the owners! Here's a pic of my toddler sitting on my harmless land shark.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Never mind what kind, dogs in public should be muzzled and on leads.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • A ban sounds appealing, but it's bad law. I'll explain why and suggest alternatives below.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I'd like to see them banned, but I can't bring myself to back Suella Braverman.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
One in ten cars is neither taxed nor insured, and they have number plates.

Not sure what your point is, do you want the Dog Wardens to enforce that too?

Personally, I think that is simply a case of no-one is serious about enforcement (of tax and insurance laws), but, you. are right, something is not working, so, let us give up on everything.

Reactions: C R
One in ten cars is neither taxed nor insured, and they have number plates.

This would be the same with dog owners, and they are only caught if either ANPR'd by the Police, or reported by a member of the public. It would be far easier and cheaper to pay a dog warden minimum wage to look out and check for tags, than it is to employ Police Officers to scan number plates all day?

Reactions: C R
This would be the same with dog owners, and they are only caught if either ANPR'd by the Police, or reported by a member of the public. It would be far easier and cheaper to pay a dog warden minimum wage to look out and check for tags, than it is to employ Police Officers to scan number plates all day?

You want to pay minimum wage to someone to confront the owners of dangerous or out of control animals? What do you think will happen?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I handy realised we were being asked for a fully costed and working proposal, but, a quick thought.... we could throw a (hefty) licensing fee into the mix, and, use the income to employ dog wardens to enforce.

We could, and possibly should, but we won't. The licence was scrapped 35 years ago (except in NI) partly because it was unenforceable, and even at 37.5p it was only paid by half the dog owners, and, cynically, I cannot see any government reintroducing it again, at a level that would have to be many £££s, until a lot more deaths and maimings take place to make it enough of a vote winner.

BoldonLad

Number plates can be scanned with cameras, no need for Police Officers (or anyone else) to do it. This will of course leave a proportion of vehicles with dodgy ownership, this subset can then be pursued by whatever group (police, dog wardens, traffic wardens) is chosen to do so.

Beebo

Veteran
Isn’t this a bit like the argument for making all bicycles have a license?
It’s totally unworkable and doesn’t solve the problem of the people who don’t give a shoot in the first place.

BoldonLad

We could, and possibly should, but we won't. The licence was scrapped 35 years ago (except in NI) partly because it was unenforceable, and even at 37.5p it was only paid by half the dog owners, and, cynically, I cannot see any government reintroducing it again, at a level that would have to be many £££s, until a lot more deaths and maimings take place to make it enough of a vote winner.

Thank you for your positive input caller ;)

BoldonLad

Isn’t this a bit like the argument for making all bicycles have a license?
It’s totally unworkable and doesn’t solve the problem of the people who don’t give a shoot in the first place.

Isn't what?

How about a suggestion about what CAN be done, rather than excuses for no action?, we already have a dysfunctional set of Politicians to do that for us.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Didn't Amstell's Carnage movie propose the thesis that 'companion animals' couldn't be justified environmentally or morally? I forget the details but at the time
was persuaded to have my pets destroyed.

Top Bottom