Hellhounds

Should there be a ban on breeding, selling and owning XL Bullies?

• Maiming machines with no place in public space - ban them now.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • It's not the dogs, it's the owners! Here's a pic of my toddler sitting on my harmless land shark.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Never mind what kind, dogs in public should be muzzled and on leads.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • A ban sounds appealing, but it's bad law. I'll explain why and suggest alternatives below.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I'd like to see them banned, but I can't bring myself to back Suella Braverman.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
No easy fixes, sorry.

What?

Who said they had to be easy?

BoldonLad

My suggestions were fully listed and in post no 3.

In an ideal world these dogs wouldn’t exist. Does anyone really need a dog like that?

I don’t think you can ban them but make it as hard as possible to own them.

There should be some sort of register for certain dogs. Both the dog and owner have to be on the register. All dogs to be micro chipped and can’t be sold on without notifying who the new owner is. Similar to how cars are sold.

And make it a graduated license, if you want a bigger more aggressive dog you need to jump through additional hoops.

Breeding also needs to be far more tightly controlled.

The down side of this is it will cost money and who will run it and police it.

It’s far cheaper and easier than just ban certain breeds. It makes politicians look good but it isn’t solving the problem long term.

OK, am I right in thinking the bolded sections are your suggestions?

Ian H

Guru
Didn't Amstell's Carnage movie propose the thesis that 'companion animals' couldn't be justified environmentally or morally? I forget the details but at the time
was persuaded to have my pets destroyed.

I hope you took advantage of the taxidermist's art to keep your beloved pets near you.

BoldonLad

For easy, read possible. Administrative changes won't work. Some people enjoy the thrill and power of keeping dangerous animals. You might as well whinge that I don't have a plan to eradicate theft.

eh? As far as I know, there is not a single law, or, set of Regulations which are 100% effective, even the death penalty did not eradicate murder (although, I suppose, no executed murderer, murdered again*).

* for the avoidance of doubt, I am not an advocate of capital punishment.

Beebo

Veteran
OK, am I right in thinking the bolded sections are your suggestions?

Yes.
And as pointed out in the next paragraph they would be almost impossible to implement.
So the politicians will go for the easy option of banning a specific breed without dealing with the root cause of dangerous dogs and poor quality owners.

So the politicians will go for the easy option of banning a specific breed without dealing with the root cause of dangerous dogs and poor quality owners.

Yes I think this is what will happen. Typical Government response - ban the "tip of the iceburg" and cover it with soundbites so it sounds like they've done something great, when all they've done is ignore the real problem. To be fair, it's not that they ignore the problem, it's that they don't do any research at all, don't consult any true experts, and base their actions on a repsonse to tabloid headlines

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Those wanting all dogs muzzled and on leads in public are currently leading my Highly Scientific Poll. I haven't even voted yet. I'm hoping to be jolted out of ambivalence by a particularly virtuoso argument.

mudsticks

Squire
Those wanting all dogs muzzled and on leads in public are currently leading my Highly Scientific Poll. I haven't even voted yet. I'm hoping to be jolted out of ambivalence by a particularly virtuoso* argument.

*A bad doggo came out of its driveway, and bit my back tyre last week, and I didn't not do nuffink to provoke it - beyond being on a bicycle...

😕

Top Bottom