Hellhounds

Should there be a ban on breeding, selling and owning XL Bullies?

• Maiming machines with no place in public space - ban them now.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • It's not the dogs, it's the owners! Here's a pic of my toddler sitting on my harmless land shark.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Never mind what kind, dogs in public should be muzzled and on leads.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • A ban sounds appealing, but it's bad law. I'll explain why and suggest alternatives below.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I'd like to see them banned, but I can't bring myself to back Suella Braverman.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
Implant both dog and owner with miniature lethal gizmos which could be activated by dialling a special dog-attack number. There'd have to be some kind of penalty for misuse of the number, perhaps a fine or a warning letter.

Ha!!
It seems that it's marauding mutts that will goads us 'woke lefties' into draconian authoritarianism - whoduv thunk it 🤔??

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Implant both dog and owner with miniature lethal gizmos which could be activated by dialling a special dog-attack number. There'd have to be some kind of penalty for misuse of the number, perhaps a fine or a warning letter.

Sold.

Mr Celine

All dog food packaging should be emblazoned with fag-packet style public health warnings.

417d92a54091772f4fede5f67b11082e--ugly-dogs-ugly-dog-breeds.jpg

HM Government health warning:
All dog owners eventually look like their pets.

Agreed with the point that all dogs can be aggressive, however some breeds are more aggressive than others. Does not take away that there are also more then enough biting incidents with dogs considered ''safe'' breeds.
And if i remember correctly the Pitbull is banned here too, didn't really help either.

So i don't think all those suggested tracking things, dog-mot, dog-reg plates are really gonna work. it will just mean a new job for a other Tory. more money spend, still the same issue.

Because the problem is not that simple.
i don't think breeding more aggressive looking dogs is a good thing either i just don't see how banning a certain breed every so much year is going to work.
Same for more rules, the police doesn't have enough manpower to enforce the current law and order how is more rules and laws they can't enforce really going to help?
The only thing that might help is if people don't find it cool or acceptable anymore to have a aggressive dog for it being an aggressive dog to remove the status from the symbol.
However that still just targets one group, there is also the group of people who buys a dog without fully understanding the responsibility and risks it will bring them, and a badly trained little dog can be just as aggressive as a super-size bully

but above is above all easier said then done.

In an ideal world these dogs wouldn’t exist. Does anyone really need a dog like that?

I don’t think you can ban them but make it as hard as possible to own them.

There should be some sort of register for certain dogs. Both the dog and owner have to be on the register. All dogs to be micro chipped and can’t be sold on without notifying who the new owner is. Similar to how cars are sold.

And make it a graduated license, if you want a bigger more aggressive dog you need to jump through additional hoops.

Breeding also needs to be far more tightly controlled.

The down side of this is it will cost money and who will run it and police it.

It’s far cheaper and easier than just ban certain breeds. It makes politicians look good but it isn’t solving the problem long term.

As a (semi-responsible*) dog-owner I'd go with the above.
All dogs are essentially wild animals and come with some degree of unpredictability as part of that package. Ours are bred to chase things, mostly squirrels or rabbits. In Kent that was fine, they'd rarely run into a field and chase a lettuce or apple tree, but now we're in livestock country we have to be super vigilant in case sheep have been moved around or fencing poor.

Whilst we take as much care as possible, nothing is guaranteed unless you either never take them out, always keep them on a lead, or run them in a private and secure place that's surrounded by deer fencing. We try and choose safe places where/when people are few, livestock away or well-fenced-off ,and the dogs can have some proper exercise and freedom. Too many large dogs such as Huskies are never let-off the lead or exercised properly and that's storing-up trouble too.

But to own something with a degree of unpredictability with that amount of strength, speed, large bite and ability to kill is in my opinion extremely risky/stupid indeed.

* Wimpers is the responsible one.

If any other animal attacked or killed as many people as dogs have, they'd probably be culled or banned or both. IMHO you can only do a couple of things:
Ban all dogs over a certain weight
Increase the number of breeds that are classed as dangerous and ban those.
Accept that some dogs will hurt people and just mop up afterwards, and fine the owners

mudsticks

Squire
Next door's puppy wakes us all up in the middle of the night barking, but the local cats kill birds and poo in the flowerbeds so potato potato.

Thing is our pussers have just filled the apex predator slot, that was once populated by all the lions and tigers; pumas and jaguars; leopards and cheetahs; that were driven by man out of the leafy streets of suburbia.

So it's just the ecosystem rebalancing itself really 🤔

Plus free fertility in your flowerbeds..??
You should be thankful 👍🏼🏵️💮🌸🌷🌺🥀🌹

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Thing is our pussers have just filled the apex predator slot, that was once populated by all the lions and tigers; pumas and jaguars; leopards and cheetahs; that were driven by man out of the leafy streets of suburbia.

So it's just the ecosystem rebalancing itself really 🤔

Plus free fertility in your flowerbeds..??
You should be thankful 👍🏼🏵️💮🌸🌷🌺🥀🌹

I never thought leopards would poo in my flowerbeds.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
The cat poop thing is a bit of a non discussion for me: generally, they're pretty neat and will bury theirs. Dogs don't, and some owners don't bother clearing up after them, or leave their wee bags as unwanted decorations in trees or bushes.

The birds thing is fair enough. One of my cats, Tango, used to have a particularly disgusting habit of catching and chomping seagulls, but leaving the wings as a delightful gift of her prowess by the back door. Not a discovery you want to step into barefooted on a dark morning when you're taking the bins out.

As for the dogs, I voted for the land shark option, just because it made me smile. I don't really think there's an easy solution, as I was taught pretty early on that dogs, no matter how docile or friendly they may seem, can lose the plot for any number of reasons.

Top Bottom