How to Win Friends and Influence People

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Slight whataboutery there Adam.

I'm interested in where and how people calibrate their dividing line between justifiable insults and abuse. There's no doubt that disagreement or dislike are factors but what else do we consider?

A lot of people are transparently hypocritical, they approve of insults against people they don't like but disapprove when someone they don't like uses insults.

In politics, I suspect no one minds a bit of frisk such as you sometimes get on Prime Minister's Questions, but the potty mouth stuff from the likes of Rayner is counter productive.

D

Deleted member 49

I'm interested in where and how people calibrate their dividing line between justifiable insults and abuse. There's no doubt that disagreement or dislike are factors but what else do we consider?
Whataboutry lol...I'm no Raynor fan but its nice to hear what she thinks.Your concerns are fine for yourself. I'm more interested that Rayner is called out for speaking the truth and Johnson is given a free pass with his consant lies.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Interesting question.

Is there any justification for an insult?
-'Don't be an dickhead newfhouse' that doesn't feel like an insult or to be abusive as in the writers head it could be said with exasperation, or even something you would say to a mate as he was prepping to do something daft. But I guess you could take that to be me calling you a dickhead.
-'You are a dickhead newfhouse' that does feel like an insult and abusive.

-'You are scum/racist/homophobe', they don't feel like things you may say in jest, or with a smile on your face

Confusing two high profile black sportspeople was seen on here as being inherently racist. Do you think that confusing two high profile Pakistani men is also inherently racist?

potty mouth stuff
Really? I'd say it's about level 4 on a 1 to 10 scale, especially as not directed at an individual. You seem to clutch your pearls with less provocation than I do.

Is there any justification for an insult?
Used sparingly, yes, depending on the intent and circumstances.

Confusing two high profile black sportspeople was seen on here as being inherently racist.
Personally I saw it as another example of iWilliamson's ineptitude. It would only be clear evidence of racism if it was a pattern of behaviour.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

I don't think it's whataboutery. It highlights how politicians seem to lose sight of how their words could be seen by others when they are talking to, and trying to impress, an audience of co-believers.

She wears her heart on her sleeve, which is admirable, but would no doubt not use those words in a public debate or speech.

How many times have politicians of all political hues been quoted on stuff that they thought was not for public consumption at meetings of their peers.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Starmer on the back foot over Rayner on Andrew Marr this morning.

She's an embarrassment to members of her own party, let alone the floating voters who Labour must attract if they are ever to become a credible opposition, let alone a party of government.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Starmer on the back foot over Rayner on Andrew Marr this morning.

She's an embarrassment to members of her own party, let alone the floating voters who Labour must attract if they are ever to become a credible opposition, let alone a party of government.
Didn't stop this embarrassment to his party being voted into power.

D

Deleted member 49

I thought bringing James Gray into the conversation was just that. His remarks can be judged on their own and don’t affect the rights and wrongs of Rayner’s choice of words.
Did the thread specify Rayner only ? I think it's comical that people think her comments are offensive when what we have in goverment.

Did the thread specify Rayner only ? I think it's comical that people think her comments are offensive when what we have in goverment.
I do too. For clarity, I don’t find her description offensive. There is a question about whether they were wise but I don’t think the opinions of those who are against Labour should exert much influence over her. Trying to always be acceptable to the right wing press is a fool‘s errand.

Top Bottom