How to Win Friends and Influence People

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

Those on either side of the political fence will; have set opinions which we can forecast with reasonable accuracy. The floating voters are presumably those who still don't know what to think... Rayner's comments may well hit home in a way that wouldn't otherwise get airtime on the UK media.

I'm more inclined to think she knows exactly what she's doing and that's why the right are so desperate to try to belittle her.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Those on either side of the political fence will; have set opinions which we can forecast with reasonable accuracy. The floating voters are presumably those who still don't know what to think... Rayner's comments may well hit home in a way that wouldn't otherwise get airtime on the UK media.

I'm more inclined to think she knows exactly what she's doing and that's why the right are so desperate to try to belittle her.

Don't the comments make you wince, just a little?

If Rayner's Conservative opposite number said something similar about the Labour Party I'd want him sacked for being tactically ignorant.

Archie_tect

Don't the comments make you wince, just a little?

If Rayner's Conservative opposite number said something similar about the Labour Party I'd want him sacked for being tactically ignorant.
I didn't see her say what she said, as I've only seen it written down so I can't tell whether she was 'joking' which is how politicians brush off insolent remarks which they've made in haste, or whether she made them in full awareness of where she was and what she was saying. I presume it wasn't in the House of Commons?

There was a brutality to the words she used which could have been toned down, but I doubt many people would question her right to say them, given the situation the UK finds itself after Brexit and the pandemic.

Working on the premise that she said it to guarantee she would get headline news and front page publicity from it, you can't fault the populist appeal to those who don't trust the privileged Cabinet members who ride rough-shod over the ethics of Government process.

I see it as a crude but effective way of leading a jury with a statement that she knew would raise an objection and be sustained by the judge to be struck from the records but, having said it, can't be erased from the jury's memory. People will remember her words long after the apology has been forgotten.

Pale Rider

Veteran
People will remember her words long after the apology has been forgotten.

To me, that is to her and the Labour Party's detriment.

I'm not bothered about her calling the Tories worse than shite, but it's just so politically inept to allow yourself to be overheard doing it.

Pale Rider

Veteran
I still rather like the labour idiot who said Priti Patel (born in London) should be deported.

A delicious mixture of ignorance and stupidity.

icowden

Legendary Member
This is what Rayner said:-

"We cannot get any worse than a bunch of scum, homophobic, racist, misogynistic, absolute vile... banana republic, vile, nasty, Etonian... piece of scum."

They don't seem to have any issue with being called homophobic, racist, misogynistic, vile, or nasty, just with being called scum. Am I the only person to find that just a little disturbing?

swansonj

Regular
I still rather like the labour idiot who said Priti Patel (born in London) should be deported.

A delicious mixture of ignorance and stupidity.
Mmm. If they seriously thought that just because she had a name associated with a minority ethnicity, she was an immigrant to this country, that would be a bit like someone assuming that any footballer with a foreign-sounding name must be an immigrant too, wouldn't it?

Pale Rider

Veteran
Mmm. If they seriously thought that just because she had a name associated with a minority ethnicity, she was an immigrant to this country, that would be a bit like someone assuming that any footballer with a foreign-sounding name must be an immigrant too, wouldn't it?

Yeah, but at least when he did it was funny.

Although another poster thinks it was biting satire.

mjr

But the voters who voted for the people she is aiming her comments at will feel that she is talking about them too.
I am pretty sure they won't because most people who voted Conservative last time still have one foot in reality and know that they themselves aren't public school/Oxbridge toffs.

They just voted for some who promised to help people like them. They may well feel disappointed and deceived by the next election.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
There was a brutality to the words she used which could have been toned down, but I doubt many people would question her right to say them, given the situation the UK finds itself after Brexit and the pandemic.
She may have had the right to say them in the public square about public figures, but was altogether lacking in wisdom in doing so. Any disillusioned with conservatism will not be attracted to Labour by such embittered comments, and the lack of self-control they betray.

Aren't ad hominem attacks usually the sign of having no argument? A well-crafted witty put-down might have been more effective.

Scum - labelling anyone this is hardly going to produce a loving, caring society, and will do nothing to heal the deep divisions. It's also dehumanising.

Homophobic - which party paved the way for gay marriage?

Racist - does the party have no ethnic minorities in its midst? (And don't forget white privilege is racist ... .)

Misogynistic - which party has already produced two female prime ministers when the progressive left haven't yet had one? And is this party likely to repeal all the equality legislation in the near future?

Vile, nasty, Etonian - smacks of envy. Doesn't sit well with the desire of the left for speech codes. Would carry more weight if fewer Labour politicians didn't privately educate their own children.

This is in no way a defence of the current Conservative administration, which deserves criticism, but this needs to be accurate and there are ways of doing this that aren't going to be counter-productive and look like a throw back to student activist days. Such emoting might be the result of frustration at not being able to do much about such an incompetent government, I can understand that, but such impotent rage is not going to change anything either.

Top Bottom