How to Win Friends and Influence People

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dolorous Edd

Angela Rayner trying her best to win over floating voters at yesterday's Labour Party conference:

Speaking to a room full of hacks, delegates and various party apparatchiks, Rayner launched into a full blown rant against the government, claiming: 'I’m sick of shouting from the sidelines, and I bet you lot are too. We cannot get any worse than a bunch of scum, homophobic, racist, misogynistic, absolute pile… of banana republic… Etonian… piece of scum… that I have ever seen in my life' adding that 'she held back a little.'

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/rayner-s-rant-against-tory-scum-

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
That was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Conservative Party ...

Her primary audience was the Labour membership at conference. Her target was the Cabinet and ToryMPs.

Those here commenting adversely are unlikely to vote Labour under any circumstance.

There are two questions that need consideration. Are the remarks accurate? Broadly, yes. And are they helpful? Maybe. Starmer has been vilified for lacking apparent passion, and that’s not something that can be said about Rayner.

As for the gleeful reporting in the Speccy, you know where it’s going when the term “apparatchik” makes an appearance.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Her primary audience was the Labour membership at conference. Her target was the Cabinet and ToryMPs.

Those here commenting adversely are unlikely to vote Labour under any circumstance.
But the voters who voted for the people she is aiming her comments at will feel that she is talking about them too. She is an idiot. If that is the level of her statecraft what will the rest of the world be thinking? I can't wait to hear her views on China!

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Is it possible to be offended, as some claim to be, by the word “scum“ but relaxed about someone being called an idiot?
Yeah, it's fine, it is just street language, I would call someone an idiot, like 'that was an idiot thing to do, it's just a Northern town thing'

There, that should make it all better, after all it is what she has just said on Sky.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Is it possible to be offended, as some claim to be, by the word “scum“ but relaxed about someone being called an idiot?
Just to be clear, I am not offended by her comments, I am saying that if she wants to show everyone that she is a serious contender to be a government minister, then she needs to understand that she is trying to attract the votes from both sides of the fence. This language doesn't do that.

In fact it seems a peculiar Labour thing at the moment. Or is it just an opposition thing. Did the Conservatives talk like this when Blair et al were in? Or is it the general student nature of the Labour party politics under anyone apart from Blair recently?

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
A bit rich calling them racist when it is her who can't tell two Pakistani men apart. Although in her defence, they are both the sons of bus drivers I suppose.

Pale Rider

Veteran

Once again, you appear to approve of insults provided you don't like those being insulted.

But when they respond you are very quick to pick them up on it.

Which is it?

Do you approve of insults or not?

D

Deleted member 49

Lol...offended by Angie ! Imagine a woman being so rude.Truth hurt maybe....
What about this ? Bit of banter...
Tory MP James Gray has said a bomb should be planted in the office of Labour politician Annelise Dodds.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Rayner says she is 'sick of shouting from the sidelines' then goes on to make remarks that will ensure she remains there.

If Labour has any skilled election strategists (unlikely) they will be hanging their heads this morning.

Rayner's cretinous remarks may attract a few likes on, say, a cycling forum, but are a big turn off for voters in general.

This includes floating voters who Labour must attract if they are to be anything other than an electoral irrelevance.

Lol...offended by Angie ! Imagine a woman being so rude.Truth hurt maybe....
What about this ? Bit of banter...
Tory MP James Gray has said a bomb should be planted in the office of Labour politician Annelise Dodds.
Slight whataboutery there Adam.

I'm interested in where and how people calibrate their dividing line between justifiable insults and abuse. There's no doubt that disagreement or dislike are factors but what else do we consider?

Top Bottom