Incredibly brave young women in Iran...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I think what is needed is more modern religions leaders.

I think what is needed is less religions' leaders leading countries.

Well no, nobody was ever suggesting it was a 'fair fight'
That's not how oppression, nor how oppressive regimes work.
I known, i didn't say anyone was suggesting that either, but i do believe it's my right to voice that opinion. How obvious it may sound

Defeatist, pessimistic, and even cynical language, leads to hopelessness, and ultimately inaction, that definitely won't achieve anything.
Is it? i think being beaten down in the most violent way is more off a means to get that result, not language. Maybe that's why the regime is more concentrated on beating down protest than controlling language. (altough they try o do both)
I also really don't think someone in Iran protesting now will read a comment somebody else calls ''defeatist, pessimistic, or even cynical'' and thinks ''shoot, now i have to fall in line and support the regime'' I do think having your kneecaps broken, being raped, tortured etc. in Iranian cells at least makes people silent for some time.

I think what is needed is less religions' leaders leading countries.
Agreed, but being pragmatic, i think more modern religious leaders is at least a achievable(still hard) way forward. We have seen in Afghanistan that installing an free, not religious government doesn't really work.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I known, i didn't say anyone was suggesting that either, but i do believe it's my right to voice that opinion. How obvious it may sound

Is it? i think being beaten down in the most violent way is more off a means to get that result, not language. Maybe that's why the regime is more concentrated on beating down protest than controlling language. (altough they try o do both)
I also really don't think someone in Iran protesting now will read a comment somebody else calls ''defeatist, pessimistic, or even cynical'' and thinks ''shoot, now i have to fall in line and support the regime'' I do think having your kneecaps broken, being raped, tortured etc. in Iranian cells at least makes people silent for some time.
I wasn't talking about the effect of our language on the protestors, they're unlikely to be that interested in our 'take' .

And they already know their own situation all too well
Far better than we do in fact

I was talking about negative, and defeatist language being used outside the country, in turn leading to people outside of the country not bothering to keep up the pressure, because they'll end up thinking it's a 'hopeless' situation, not worth the effort.

I'd have thought that was fairly obvious.

Silly me...

Reactions: C R
I wasn't talking about the effect of our language on the protestors, they're unlikely to be that interested in our 'take' .

And they already know their own situation all too well
Far better than we do in fact

I was talking about negative, and defeatist language being used outside the country, in turn leading to people outside of the country not bothering to keep up the pressure, because they'll end up thinking it's a 'hopeless' situation, not worth the effort.

I'd have thought that was fairly obvious.

Silly me...
No so silly of me, i'm really sorry, you're right just pretend it's an great paradise under the sun with some minor defects. Just like we did with Russia, we where so tough on Putin that he invaded multiple countries in the past 20 years, so your suggested approach which is exactly the same, as used for Russia really worked out great doesn't?

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
No so silly of me, i'm really sorry, you're right just pretend it's an great paradise under the sun with some minor defects. Just like we did with Russia, we where so tough on Putin that he invaded multiple countries in the past 20 years, so your suggested approach which is exactly the same, as used for Russia really worked out great doesn't?

What on earth are you talking about?

Who here, in any way shape or form implied Iran was a paradise?

I was talking about the dangers of our using negative language when discussing if there was any point in our trying to help, by staying informed and keeping all this in the news as much as possible.

My point was solely that talking in that 'hopeless' way doesn't encourage us, or others to keep up the pressure.

C R

Über Member
This is an interesting one

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...pr-fiasco-taken-down-protests-misuse-of-image

The revolutionary guard put up a billboard with photographs of famous Iranian women wearing head cover, with the legend "Women of my Land" under it.

Problem was that some of the women shown didn't like being used as faces of the regime, and let it be known in forceful terms. As a result the images were removed less than 24 hours after going up.

My conclusion is that the protests are having an effect on the regime.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
This is an interesting one

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...pr-fiasco-taken-down-protests-misuse-of-image

The revolutionary guard put up a billboard with photographs of famous Iranian women wearing head cover, with the legend "Women of my Land" under it.

Problem was that some of the women shown didn't like being used as faces of the regime, and let it be known in forceful terms. As a result the images were removed less than 24 hours after going up.

My conclusion is that the protests are having an effect on the regime.

Good.

It seems that social media, and the internet in general, is being a force for good in this instance.

So keeping up the pressure, sharing images and messages from inside Iran - and pertinent ones from.outside can only help.

It costs us very little to do that .
Compared with the price being paid by those on the ground .

I was talking about the dangers of our using negative language when discussing if there was any point in our trying to help, by staying informed and keeping all this in the news as much as possible.
Exactly the issue, ''talking negatively'' about Russia was earlier also ''not done'' then our leaders tought it was a good idea to bolster that regime even more by buying their gas, look where it brought us today.
I don't beleive in the dangers of the message i believe trying to pamper the message is much more dangerous, if the reality is negative, depressive and what more, why would we try to deny it?
What does that solve?
who does it help?

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Exactly the issue, ''talking negatively'' about Russia was earlier also ''not done'' then our leaders tought it was a good idea to bolster that regime even more by buying their gas, look where it brought us today.
I don't beleive in the dangers of the message i believe trying to pamper the message is much more dangerous, if the reality is negative, depressive and what more, why would we try to deny it?
What does that solve?
who does it help?

Is your English comprehension truly that bad??
Or are you just not bothering to read my posts at all??

Never once have I said we shouldn't talk in negative terms about the reality of the situation, or about the awfulness of the regime in Iran.

All I have said (repeatedly) is that we shouldn't be too negative about the possibility of our support being of any help.

I know, the chances of you even trying to understand what I'm saying are limited so heaven knows why I'm bothering..

Anyone reading along will likely be thoroughly relieved to hear that this is absolutely my final attempt.

View: https://youtu.be/B09RuQ8-p3Q

Nikan, guitar and voice and Arash, samplers, were arrested for making blasphemous music. The song tells their experience of the time they spent in Evin.

They fled Iran while on bail, and were sentenced to 14 years in jail each in absentia. Arash was also sentenced to 70 lashes.

Fwiw there was a very well attended and properly noisy protest in Trafalgar Square today.

As I'm up in town I'm taking a chance to go and see this tomorrow ...

https://www.barbican.org.uk/our-story/press-room/soheila-sokhanvari-rebel-rebel

C R

Über Member
Still no clarity about what's happening in Evin. Official version is that some prisoners stepped on landmines :eek: in the perimeter of the prison, we presume that would have been an escape attempt. However, there's a video that shows what appears to be rockets flying over, followed by explosions.

The comments under the stories in 1500tasvir are very confusing and full of all sorts of conspiracy theories.

What makes it difficult to work out what might have happened is that there are also common criminals being held in Evin, so this may not be related at all with the political situation.

Official figures are four dead and 70 injured among the prisoners.

Top Bottom