Is the Green Agenda the new battleground for Brexiteers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’d post this in the budget thread in the other place but it appears beer and ciggies chat is allowable but nothing that challenges the status quo.

Are any of our Tory supporting contributors willing to defend the budget today? I’m thinking specifically of the lack - as far as I can see - of even a pretence of climate related measures. I mean, isn’t the budget an opportunity to steer the country by adding costs to undesirable outcomes?

As examples, why does the fuel duty escalator remain in suspension? And why has domestic air travel had a tax cut? What have I missed?

mudsticks

Squire
I’d post this in the budget thread in the other place but it appears beer and ciggies chat is allowable but nothing that challenges the status quo.

Are any of our Tory supporting contributors willing to defend the budget today? I’m thinking specifically of the lack - as far as I can see - of even a pretence of climate related measures. I mean, isn’t the budget an opportunity to steer the country by adding costs to undesirable outcomes?

As examples, why does the fuel duty escalator remain in suspension? And why has domestic air travel had a tax cut? What have I missed?

No defence from me.

(Don't tell the others but I'm a bit of a closet leftie:blush:)

Sunak is reputed to be rather uninterested in matters environmental by all accounts.

He's all about 'the market' taking care of everything,

'The market' has clearly failed on this one.

And always will really.

It's a classic scenario of knowing the price of everything , but the value of nothing..

I'm thinking of starting a goat club anyhow.

Like a pig club I s'pose.

Only about x17 cuter..

Say cheeeeese

mjr

Is the air travel tax cut immediate? Does anyone know of a reason why ministers might be wanting to fly from London to, say, Glasgow soon? ;)

The fuel duty escalator is misnamed. It's stayed still more than it's escalated. Thyssen would have sent the repair crew out long ago.

mudsticks

Squire
Is the air travel tax cut immediate? Does anyone know of a reason why ministers might be wanting to fly from London to, say, Glasgow soon? ;)

The fuel duty escalator is misnamed. It's stayed still more than it's escalated. Thyssen would have sent the repair crew out long ago.

Why fly..
When the train is so much more civilised..

And btw how on earth do you get paid for being so relentlessly stupid??

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/26/pres...15488485/?ito=facebook|social|metroukfacebook

I'll see you in a bit..
Just off to prune the Portland bushes .:rolleyes:

I heard a minister on the radio attempting to justify it by claiming that it would bind the Union closer. Sounds like post hoc nonsense to me but does anyone have a better insight?

It was defended by saying that the Govt. had already released it's green agenda prior to the Budget....

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Sadly there are too many people who see just the surface bonhomie and smiling bluster of shallow populists like Farage and Johnson, thinking that they are just good blokes they could enjoy going down the pub with and cracking a few non-pc jokes, and don't look any deeper than that.

The irony is that, other than on the campaign trail, those two public school boys would not be seen dead with ordinary working people.

mudsticks

Squire
Sadly there are too many people who see just the surface bonhomie and smiling bluster of shallow populists like Farage and Johnson, thinking that they are just good blokes they could enjoy going down the pub with and cracking a few non-pc jokes, and don't look any deeper than that.

The irony is that, other than on the campaign trail, those two public school boys would not be seen dead with ordinary working people.

I was trying to explain all this weird manipulation of 'class' image thing that we've got going on to my German friend.

How the priveleged will try to hoodwink the much less advantaged, into believing in they are on the side of 'the ordinary working man'

With all the 'common touch' ' bit of a larf down the pub' bahoolix.

Whilst making out that its these namby pamby leftie minded, ' 'over' educated sorts, who keep banging on on about greater equality, and all that social democracy nonsense, who are the ones not to be trusted.

She kind of gets it, but still can't see how so many folks would vote for an incompetant buffoon like Jonson

And then of course I had to explain about all sorts of things such boundary changes, and our fptp system, our predominantly populist press..

And a general lack of political interest or engagement, in this country

None of it makes any sense when you try to explain it to someone who has grown up somewhere like Germany .🙄

Still it's good for me to try at least I suppose..:wacko:

Top Bottom