Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Legendary Member
Well of course it is - they lost.

They weren't born then.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I don't think anyone is suggesting that.

But the Germans seem to have accepted the past and moved on. It's Britain that keeps banging on about it.

The Crofted Crest

In my experience, Germans are more aware and contrite about the political and social drivers of the war. They do indeed know they lost.

I thought matticus's glib remark was so whoosh-wide of the point that it was a misplaced attempt at humour.

C R

Über Member

But the Germans seem to have accepted the past and moved on. It's Britain that keeps banging on about it.

I'm not so sure that's the case with regards to Israel. The German attitude seems to be even worse than in the UK or US when it comes to label criticism of Israel as antisemitic. There seems to be a large degree of overcompensation going on.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

The trouble with accepting the past and moving on is that it can cut both ways. There are still people who keep "banging on" about slavery and colonialism. Should they just "accept the past and move on".

multitool

The trouble with accepting the past and moving on is that it can cut both ways. There are still people who keep "banging on" about slavery and colonialism. Should they just "accept the past and move on".

That is very different. Britain is one of several countries who have not come to terms with their imperial pasts, preferring instead to peddle the same myths that drove imperialism. Brexit itself was in part due to a failure to come to terms with loss of empire.

The people resistant to discussions of imperial exploitation are those who don't want to know their own history.

matticus

Guru
In my experience, Germans are more aware and contrite about the political and social drivers of the war. They do indeed know they lost.

I thought matticus's glib remark was so whoosh-wide of the point that it was a misplaced attempt at humour.

I almost went for "Well, they did start it." Always a winner, what with Mr Cleese being so popular on NACA ...

Rusty Nails

Country Member
That is very different. Britain is one of several countries who have not come to terms with their imperial pasts, preferring instead to peddle the same myths that drove imperialism. Brexit itself was in part due to a failure to come to terms with loss of empire.

The people resistant to discussions of imperial exploitation are those who don't want to know their own history.

I understand what you say, and there are undoubtedly people in this country who still hark back to those days, particularly those of the older generations and some of the Yaxley-Lennon tendency, but that number is diminishing rapidly and is probably a small minority, except in the Tories and Reform parties.
Yes, we did build our wealth on our military strength and exploitation, and need to remember that rather than look at the past through rose tinted glasses, but that does not explain why other European countries like Spain, The Netherlands, France, Germany etc. who did something similar all remain in and support the EU. Why have they moved on and we haven’t? I put that down as much to our island status and historical distrust of ‘that lot over the channel’ as yearning for the lost days of our imperial power. Brexit was a mistake and as much about isolationism, mistrust and dissatisfaction as the lost days of grandeur, exploited by a very cynical Leave campaign.

Top Bottom