Liz Truss - the first 100 days....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
I've always looked on people like that as total hypocrits to be honest, apart from what these people say or the way they vote what makes them any different from your average Tory voter?

How many on here have or have had their own business, how many have a big company pension (someone on here has one that's 'just below the high tax rate' apparently) how many are 40% earners I wonder?

What the f**k do they know about having to choose 'heating over eating ' yet they're on here spouting off about Tory this and Brexit that yet go home to a luxury life, laughable.

Have you ever heard of Anthony Wedgwood Benn, the 2nd Viscount of Stansgate.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Brother Shep has made it clear before that he believes that anyone who has a comfortable life and a reasonable income, and who supports the Labour Party (or presumably any other left-leaning party) is only doing so as some sort of hypocritical display of virtue-signalling, and that their professed beliefs are not sincerely held. It would appear he does not grasp concepts such as altruism or empathy, and because they are evidently alien to him, he cannot accept their existence in anybody else.

I believe I did point out that this sort of hardline solipsistic outlook is a classic indicator of psychopathy, and in fairness to the lad, he didn't exactly argue.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Why on earth does it matter where @Fab Foodie lives?

As for Truss, I did say that I thought it would be a lot closer than people seemed to think.

58% is hardly a vote of confidence, I don't see her lasting very long. Be funny if it had only been 52%...

They're just as bad as each other, only in different ways.

How many on here have or have had their own business, how many have a big company pension (someone on here has one that's 'just below the high tax rate' apparently) how many are 40% earners I wonder?

What the f**k do they know about having to choose 'heating over eating ' yet they're on here spouting off about Tory this and Brexit that yet go home to a luxury life, laughable.

I fit into most of that. I have owned my own business, I now work in the public sector with a pension just about good enough to let me consider retiring early. I was lucky to be born quite bright and to have had a couple of exceptional teachers that recognised my sometimes unconventional ways of dealing with the world. I have been fortunate / made my own luck in my career, such as it is. Compared with most of the world I’m comfortable if not rich.

As for heating or eating, I grew up in poverty. My mother made just those judgements and many similar ones every day for years. My memory of being the hungry and poor kid at school informs my political and social outlook to this day. I was only able to progress because of a state education and all of the support that went with it.

I like to think I’d feel the same now if I’d been born into money, but who knows? Perhaps I’d have the thoughts without the gut reaction. I do know that it is entirely normal and commonplace for wealthy people to have a social conscience whatever their roots.

D

Deleted member 28

I bet you an andouillette to a beef Wellington it's not the one we are all sustaining now.

This bit makes no sense to me but as for the rest.........

Just as I am, White, Male and English living in England.

Probably a bit taller as I'm only 5'8" but never really bothered me too much.

Other than that pretty happy really as I've made the best of opportunities I've had and made the best of things.

How about you?

Beebo

Veteran
Tony Benn, yes why?

Because he’s a fine example that some people can act against their own self interest

Milzy

It doesn’t matter who’s in charge Labour, cons Johnson or truss. Same horse different riders. All working for the WEF & themselves.

presta

Truss.jpg

Top Bottom