NACA Political Jokes Page

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
As the author of that post, and to avoid any misinterpretation, are you able to explain your intended meaning?

Not counting but noticing. They are visible to all readers by design. What is their purpose?

I have explained the "winkies" before, several months ago, to another member who shall remain nameless..... but... just for you, one more time.....

I am retired. Since retirement, although I have a reasonably large circle of "friends, acquaintances and family", it is nothing like as many as the number I came in regular contact with in my working life. To me, this Forum is a means of expanding the range of viewpoints I encounter, in daily life (a useful thing to do, IMHO). It is a mostly interesting way to spend an hour or so. It is most definitely NOT the most important thing in my life, hence, the ;) . The ;) (to me) does not imply joke, I am not responsible for whatever interpretations others may put on it (even when I have explained to them why I use it.

As for the purpose of likes, laughs and various other emojis, I have no idea what people use them for. Again, I believe I am right in saying it is a subject which has been discussed before (not by me). Recently, for example, a poster responded to one of my posts with a "sad" emoji, I have no idea if that means my post was "sad" as in pathetic, or, if it was an expression of sympathy with my plight. The only answer I can offer is that you ask each poster for clarification, if it bothers you. Personally, it does not rate highly on my radar.

Finally, the meaning of THE POST, bearing in mind the thread in question was, if I recall correctly, about the impending royal jubilee for queen, and, the possibility of an extended bank holiday, for us common folk, I was merely pointing out, that such extended bank holidays (for example Christmas, Easter, etc) frequently cause an increase in alcohol intake, and, subsequently an increase in domestic violence. I was not condoning domestic violence, or, expressing a desire to partake in domestic violence. Clear now?

matticus

Guru
I think it would be reasonable for us to apply similar thinking to the ostensible rules on the main forum with respect to discussions regarding former and non-active members who are not here to defend themselves.
That went well.

icowden

Legendary Member
Bit of stereotyping there, been reading your Andy Cap Annual again?
To be fair to Andy, I don't recall ever seeing a cartoon where he raised a hand to Flo - he goes to Marriage Guidance Counselling (I did find out from Wiki that that was a change and in the early days he was a bit of a wrong un). In fact these days he only usually raises a hand to get his beer glass to his lips...

Last edited:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
That went well.
TBF, I did have to put 'ostensible' as there's currently a(nother) ten page thread on the main forum about a non active member which the mods seem to be letting slide. I did contribute to it myself, but only to make a tangential point about sexual psychology and reproductive strategy...

Rusty Nails

Country Member
1. is that ALL people, or just SOME people, ie, those you agree with?

2. Who are you suggesting is not being honest?

3. Right, I am not the only one who welcomes difference, but, I shouldn't encourage difference? Encouraging difference is "a strange motivation"?

To quote the TV Ad, I am confused, at least, one of us is.
1. All people.
2. Do your own research. I will criticise individual posts when I believe the post is not an honest attempt to debate the issue.
3. It can be a strange motivation when encouraging, by liking or laughing emojis, posts that are deliberate trolling. Diverse opinions are always to be encouraged when they are designed to be constructive.

As far as confusion is concerned, you are the same age as I am so it is quite possible, in the words of one poster, that we are both struggling with dementia.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I am sure you did, but, the interpretation of same is in the eye of the beholder. After all, I have been accused to sprinkling such "winkers" liberally, rather like some people seem unable to type without using the "f", "w", "p" keys, but, we are all grown ups here, with no moderators, and everyone is far to intelligent to be counting likes or "winkies".
Yes, and most people are far too intelligent to use likes when they don't like the post.

You have said you use them for some other, broader purpose, so you should not be surprised when they are noticed. Otherwise what is the point of you using them?

mudsticks

Squire
There's plenty of disagreement here, the same as there was over the road. What some people can't seem to get their head around is that you can disagree without calling someone a prick, and not calling someone a prick doesn't automatically make it an echo chamber.
And you can agree, but only in part and want to pick apart the detail, which is in reality where the difficulty in solving most problems actually lies .

Rather than just very basic black / white knuckle headed 'thinking' gleaned from half reading a tabloid newspaper / listening to some bloke down the pub / and then perhaps adding a liberal dash of ill thought through, small town prejudices.

It wasn't a joke. I believe I am right in thinking that, sadly, domestic violence levels increase at holiday times. I also believe that it is true such increases are not confined to Tyneside, but, occur Nationally, perhaps even internationally. That does not mean I participate in Domestic Violence or find acceptable.

Bit of stereotyping there, been reading your Andy Cap Annual again?

Ok fine - must be a 'cultural difference' then - because in 'my world' referring to an increase in drinking and DV and then adding a lighthearted emojii afterwards looks a little insensitive at the very best -

And it turns out i wasn't the only one who thought that - no one accused you of participating in DV - or did any stereotyping of you - you were the one who appeared to be making light of it.

If you don't want to be misinterpreted then maybe explain how your emojii usage is quite far outside what might be considered 'normal' interpretation..

If you don't care how they're interpreted, then do carry on regardless, but meanwhile you can also expect that from time to time some folks might get the wrong end of the stick regarding your thoughts and motivations..

S'up to you - its a free forum etc etc .

Unless we've met each other personally, we can only draw inferences about the nature of others from what they post on here - taken at face value some people come across as quite nasty - this may be their true nature - or they're maybe just faking it for some other reason unbeknownst to us.

matticus

Guru
TBF, I did have to put 'ostensible' as there's currently a(nother) ten page thread on the main forum about a non active member which the mods seem to be letting slide. I did contribute to it myself, but only to make a tangential point about sexual psychology and reproductive strategy...
<pops over to check on the D***o thread ...> Hmm yes, that does seem to be a bit over the line ...
But I can see why it's perhaps been left to run: there are plenty of compliments to the guy, and he was a character happy to be himself, take it or leave it. Plus there are loads of amusing diversions in the thread! Overall, it doesn't have a "nasty" feel; best to give a gallic shrug and let it be, IMO.
That doesn't justify a Two Wrongs Make A Right approach. Oh well, never mind ...

BoldonLad

To be fair to Andy, I don't recall ever seeing a cartoon where he raised a hand to Flo - he goes to Marriage Guidance Counselling (I did find out from Wiki that that was a change and in the early days he was a bit of a wrong un). In fact these days he only usually raises a hand to get his beer glass to his lips...

Interesting, didn't realise that Andy was still around, haven't read the Daily Mirror (it was the Daily Mirror, wasn't it?) for many, many years. I am sure Andy must be a shadow of his former male chauvinist self. We used to have a real live Andy type, popular(?) in these parts (Bobby Thompson, aka The Little Waister) he has long since shuffled off to the great betting shop in the sky.

icowden

Legendary Member
Interesting, didn't realise that Andy was still around, haven't read the Daily Mirror (it was the Daily Mirror, wasn't it?) for many, many years. I am sure Andy must be a shadow of his former male chauvinist self. We used to have a real live Andy type, popular(?) in these parts (Bobby Thompson, aka The Little Waister) he has long since shuffled off to the great betting shop in the sky.
I'm not sure. My daughter loves cartoons. We have been using the comics website to go through various. We started with Garfield and have somehow now broadened to Peanuts, Andy Capp, Dilbert, and Pearls before Swine with occasional explainers from me (she's a teenager now so gets 80-90% of the jokes, although Dilbert can take some explaining).

BoldonLad

And you can agree, but only in part and want to pick apart the detail, which is in reality where the difficulty in solving most problems actually lies .

Rather than just very basic black / white knuckle headed 'thinking' gleaned from half reading a tabloid newspaper / listening to some bloke down the pub / and then perhaps adding a liberal dash of ill thought through, small town prejudices.

Ok fine - must be a 'cultural difference' then - because in 'my world' referring to an increase in drinking and DV and then adding a lighthearted emojii afterwards looks a little insensitive at the very best -

And it turns out i wasn't the only one who thought that - no one accused you of participating in DV - or did any stereotyping of you - you were the one who appeared to be making light of it.

If you don't want to be misinterpreted then maybe explain how your emojii usage is quite far outside what might be considered 'normal' interpretation..

If you don't care how they're interpreted, then do carry on regardless, but meanwhile you can also expect that from time to time some folks might get the wrong end of the stick regarding your thoughts and motivations..

S'up to you - its a free forum etc etc .

Unless we've met each other personally, we can only draw inferences about the nature of others from what they post on here - taken at face value some people come across as quite nasty - this may be their true nature - or they're maybe just faking it for some other reason unbeknownst to us.

You often mention (to others) the Ignore Button, may I suggest you heed your own advice?

BoldonLad

Yes, and most people are far too intelligent to use likes when they don't like the post.

You have said you use them for some other, broader purpose, so you should not be surprised when they are noticed. Otherwise what is the point of you using them?

There is always the nuclear option, ie, the Ignore Button.

BoldonLad

1. All people.
2. Do your own research. I will criticise individual posts when I believe the post is not an honest attempt to debate the issue.
3. It can be a strange motivation when encouraging, by liking or laughing emojis, posts that are deliberate trolling. Diverse opinions are always to be encouraged when they are designed to be constructive.

As far as confusion is concerned, you are the same age as I am so it is quite possible, in the words of one poster, that we are both struggling with dementia.

Can't speak for you, but, having one close relative (in-law) who died with dementia, and another close relative with early signs thereof, I am reasonably sure I am not showing signs of it. in my family tree, it appears to be cardio-vascular illnesses which polish us off.

Top Bottom