North Shropshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I suspect part of her appeal was being a local candidate.
Lack of knowledge of... herself?

Pale Rider

Veteran
I'd like to meet the punter who got three votes, and more importantly, the three people who voted for him.

Or two if he voted for himself.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I'd like to meet the punter who got three votes, and more importantly, the three people who voted for him.

Or two if he voted for himself.
TBF she got a not entirely unrespectable 358 in Maidstone and the Weald in 2019. Local advantage there I suppose.

mjr

Do you not think it's a 'protest vote ' happened with UKIP a while ago, remember.

I think when it comes to a GE it'll return to normal.
Depends if Johnson leads them into the GE, surely? It'll need the biggest comeback since Lazarus for him to win another.

D

Deleted member 28

Depends if Johnson leads them into the GE, surely? It'll need the biggest comeback since Lazarus for him to win another.
I doubt Boris will be in charge for much longer, I just think it was a 'warning ' and normal business will be resumed when General Election time comes.

D

Deleted member 28

I hope I'm wrong but honestly I don't think it'll last so let's milk it while we can.

View: https://twitter.com/lucyallan/status/1466882940047175683?t=yJz1o14p6oa9FDkc6R51Qg&s=19

Bit like the Liverpool game last night, Newcastle went ahead but it was only a matter of time before normality resumed.

I doubt Boris will be in charge for much longer, I just think it was a 'warning ' and normal business will be resumed when General Election time comes.
I think you’re right, unfortunately. Weird, isn’t it? Who was the last Tory leader widely regarded as competent?

D

Deleted member 28

I think you’re right, unfortunately. Weird, isn’t it? Who was the last Tory leader widely regarded as competent?
Maggie usually near the top, not really going to get much positive on here though are you. 😀

PaulB

Bit like the Liverpool game last night, Newcastle went ahead but it was only a matter of time before normality resumed.
One of the finer moments during last night's game was the song we sing about the tories. It got full volume last night, long and loud and it left no-one in any doubt as to its meaning. It was joyous to hear, as it always is. Anyone not subscribing to the meaning of the song won't last in the Kop and certainly won't be welcomed back. It's only three words (after the de de de-ri-de opening) and the first one is fark.

D

Deleted member 49

One of the finer moments during last night's game was the song we sing about the tories. It got full volume last night, long and loud and it left no-one in any doubt as to its meaning. It was joyous to hear, as it always is. Anyone not subscribing to the meaning of the song won't last in the Kop and certainly won't be welcomed back. It's only three words (after the de de de-ri-de opening) and the first one is fark.
I'm no Liverpool supporter just to be clear !

stowie

I believe it will send out a couple of messages that should be concerning to Johnson and the Conservatives.

1) This was a huge swing against the Tories which may not have been Tory voters staying at home but Tory voters voting for someone else.
2) The Tories tried the usual "he's a remainer" schtick and it didn't work. Brexit, with many voters, has been and gone. A key tactic used to divide and conquer the opposition now looks like it might be ineffective.

The incumbent party losing by elections is not uncommon. But the level of swing has to be of concern.

I think Johnson is on his last chance with the backbenchers. It is incredible that despite an 80 seat majority Johnson is having to act as if he has a few seat majority. He has no discipline from the rank-and-file. He had to rely on the opposition to get critical public health legislation through the Commons during a pandemic FFS. He jettisoned the entire moderate wing of the party in 2019 and by doing so has given the rag-bag of hard right wingers power. The nuttier end of the conservative party always existed, but before Brexit they were generally ignored. They have been taking over the Tory party and Johnson turbo-charged the process.

Top Bottom