Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Once a Wheeler

I like your sentiment, but, it does not matter how many individuals are in favour, unless and until we get a Government who wish to join, it will not happen. At present, the only viable alternatives for Government are Labour or Conservative, neither have rejoining as a policy, or, even a desire. It's not going to happen, sadly.

There are two excellent historical examples where a faction has taken control of a minority which has formed a tail which has wagged the dog:

Prohibition in the USA:
1670241262243.png

1920–1933 (13years)

Nazism in Germany:
1670241445660.png

1933–1945 (12 years)

Brexit occurred in exactly the same way with a faction taking control of a minority which formed a tail which wagged the dog. So let us give it 13 years maximum and, with a bit of persistence from joiners, possibly considerably less. Once there are votes in joining, the political parties will develop policy accordingly.

As a footnote, it is interesting to see that the US state whose vote tipped the balance against Prohibition to bring it to an end was Mormon, teetotal, Utah. There is wisdom and reason in some surprising places. Keep the faith!

albion

Veteran
The radio 4 interview is well worth a listen. I think it came after one with Jeremy Hunt.
He gets a lot right and luckily for him, had an easy time of it.

I am not sure who would want to employ such a stumbling lawyer. You can hear him trying hard to keep the right boxes ticked.
My analysis of what he said went further and concluded that the FPTP system is not fit for purpose.
The Torys ever further corrupting the Lords is why his argument to do away with the Lords is correct. However, you would likely then need a safeguard of proportional representation.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Not in the near future, but governments change, party leaders change. My guess is that we will hopefully see closer alignment over the next few years once the tories are gone, then in 5-10 years progress to either rejoining, or negotiating a more sensible relationship. But fixing this shitshow is not going to be easy or quick.

Yeah.... so, we are looking at say 8-15 years, not in my lifetime I suspect

Edit. just seen your second post, saying much the same, still, probably not in my lifetime ;)

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Not in the near future, but governments change, party leaders change. My guess is that we will hopefully see closer alignment over the next few years once the tories are gone, then in 5-10 years progress to either rejoining, or negotiating a more sensible relationship. But fixing this shitshow is not going to be easy or quick.

AFAIUI if we were ever to rejoin the EU we would have to join the Eurozone. I believe this would make a rejoin majority in a future referendum very difficult to achieve, not because of its practicality but because of its symbolism to many.

We were in a very good position when we were in and would not be able to rejoin on such good terms again.

the snail

AFAIUI if we were ever to rejoin the EU we would have to join the Eurozone. I believe this would make a rejoin majority in a future referendum very difficult to achieve, not because of its practicality but because of its symbolism to many.

We were in a very good position when we were in and would not be able to rejoin on such good terms again.

True, but when the pound goes under 1$/1€... In any case we wouldn't actually have to join the the eurozone, just commit to joining at some unspecified time in the future, maybe.

Yep, we killed the golden goose, but rejoining under 'regular' terms would be better than the current situation.
Furthermore a commitment to rejoin could solve the Irish and Scottish issues, both of which will fester for years to come.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Yep, we killed the golden goose, but rejoining under 'regular' terms would be better than the current situation.
Furthermore a commitment to rejoin could solve the Irish and Scottish issues, both of which will fester for years to come.

Yes, logically it clearly would be better than what we have now.

Doesn't mean that the right decision will be taken. Logic has very little to do with Brexit.

D

Deleted member 49

Not a chance...that fuse paper has been lit.

Once a Wheeler

Last edited:
Top Bottom