Political language. What helps, what doesnt ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is a ridiculous suggestion from Patel, does she think that the UK owns the internet?
Like the totalitarian tendency states she so admires, we’re going to have our own walled garden internet to keep our progressive foreign ideas.

Nadine Dorries will legislate that every web page must automatically add fluttering Union flag gifs which are actually hidden code that enables the camera and microphone in your telescreen phone.

Still, nothing to hide, nothing to fear, eh?

I think it is Patel who has suggested an end to online anonymity as a way of making people think twice about posting abuse. It sounds a good idea in principle but will just make people open to abuse, doxxing, and stalking, or worse in real life. Making FB, Twitter etc spend more on deleting abuse as soon as it's posted would be better.
Don't be fooled, it so that Priti's thought Police can be round your door with the batons before you even hit 'Send'...

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Just in case some of her gang are already reading .

We know how influential this sub forum is right..??

Like the totalitarian tendency states she so admires, we’re going to have our own walled garden internet to keep our progressive foreign ideas.

Nadine Dorries will legislate that every web page must automatically add fluttering Union flag gifs which are actually hidden code that enables the camera and microphone in your telescreen phone.

Still, nothing to hide, nothing to fear, eh?

Similar to the Great Firewall of China? :scratch:

I think it is Patel who has suggested an end to online anonymity as a way of making people think twice about posting abuse. It sounds a good idea in principle but will just make people open to abuse, doxxing, and stalking, or worse in real life. Making FB, Twitter etc spend more on deleting abuse as soon as it's posted would be better.

The Gov want to end online anonymity but has just lost a court case, brought by the Good Law Project, because they wanted to keep the recipients of billions of pounds of PPE contracts anonymous.

If you put this, and, other issues from this crowd, in a novel and handed it to a publisher, they would reject it as too far fetched.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
How would we all feel about posting on this part of the forum under our real names?

How would we all feel about posting on this part of the forum under our real names?

I don't think I'd be too bothered. On the whole, while I might be outspoken, I generally try to be courteous.

But then if somebody wants to know who I am, and I'm sufficiently unconcerned to have my location in my profile, I must have left enough clues down the years here and in other forums for people to do a jigsaw identification.

When I first started posting in forums c1999 using one's real name was more or less the norm. I adopted a 'handle' after realising one or two things I'd said might offend the policy of my then employer (HMG) about political activity.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I don't think I'd be too bothered. On the whole, while I might be outspoken, I generally try to be courteous.

But then if somebody wants to know who I am, and I'm sufficiently unconcerned to have my location in my profile, I must have left enough clues down the years here and in other forums for people to do a jigsaw identification.

When I first started posting in forums c1999 using one's real name was more or less the norm. I adopted a 'handle' after realising one or two things I'd said might offend the policy of my then employer (HMG) about political activity.

I'm sure if people were sufficiently bothered they could discover my identity and location.

But knowing other people's names, and them mine, would make me feel less secure not more so.

Doxxing, online harassment , and stalking are potentially more dangerous for us as women.

There is a not inconsiderable cohort of folks who will get offended by women speaking out at all, let alone being 'outspoken' online.

I've had some horrible language used against me.

I wouldn't feel particularly threatened by people actually here (I don't think)

But I have been harassed online, behind the scenes on forums, and on other social media.

It could impact my business, political, personal, and travelling life too.

On the whole I much prefer the (relative) anonymity, such as we enjoy here.

swansonj

Regular
I pretty much do. And it is a point of principle for me not to post anything I wouldn't be prepared to answer to in real life, and one of the attractions of CC for me is that I'm interacting at least in part with people I've met in the flesh when cycling. But then, I'm an educated professional mostly-straight cis-gender white British male with only occasional mental health issues. My preferences should most emphatically not dictate for anyone else.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I wouldn't post under my real name. Within 5 minutes you could find my address and employers, my children's names etc. It's really not safe for anyone, women especially, to be easily tracked down.

If you imagine that there aren't people who would contact your employers, or spread rumours about you on Facebook, or contact your kids, because you offended them on a cycling forum, I think you are all very much mistaken.

I pretty much stand by everything I've ever said on CC. And they are things I would say in the real world if asked my opinion, but it's naive to think that there aren't people who would seek to make your life a misery if they knew who you were.

Look at what Professor Kathleen Stock is currently enduring.

Edit: As an aside to this, I never put pictures of my children on the Internet. You never know where they will end up.

Top Bottom