Poppy Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I’ll bite! (Again).

i didn’t buy a Poppy this year, mostly because only came across one that I can think of and had no cash on me. I don’t frequent the right places I guess. I usually donate but don‘t wear the poppy. It’s a great charity and Remembrance is important, but as a poster up thread suggested one wonders whether a ceremony rooted in the time after WW1 is the still the best way to do this. The great wars were wars of conscription, subsequent conflicts were/are manned by professional soldiers. I’m not sure the resonance with people (especially the young) is quite the same….

Even "professional soldiers" are someone's Father, Mother, Son, Daughter .....

Even "professional soldiers" are someone's Father, Mother, Son, Daughter .....
Note, I didn’t say they should not be commemorated.
But to my mind there is a difference between those that choose to be soldiers and those that don’t. WW1 and WW2 were about survival of our nation (and the percentage of conscription high), subsequent conflicts were not. The numbers involved fortunately have been significantly lower a trend that will hopefully continue….

Last edited:

swansonj

Regular
As I intimated earlier, I led this morning's Remembrance Service in our town and that included writing the Address. I put in lots of stuff about the horror of sending young men to try to kill other young men and to be killed themselves. But in my mind as I wrote it was the recognition that, increasingly, our servicepeople are people who have actually chosen that as a career, or at least have regarded the risk of that as an acceptable payoff for the things they want from a career.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Note, I didn’t say they should not be commemorated.
But to my mind there is a difference between those that choose to be soldiers and those that don’t. WW1 and WW2 were about survival of our nation, subsequent conflicts were not. The numbers involved fortunately have been significantly lower a trend that will hopefully continue….
Even there I think the narrative has been corrupted.

Ian H

Guru
True. So, we shouldn’t memorialize any?
I believe I said "in that way"
it would appear the National Arbeoream (probably spelled that wrong), does memorialize others.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
You could say the same for any peacetime occupation though. It's a choice to take that job. By the same logic, why do we clap for the NHS? Doctors chose to be doctors and are paid a decent whack.

We do it because we acknowledge that they often do difficult jobs in harsh circumstances. And with the armed forces it can be a job that might risk their lives or where they might be called on to defend us, or others elsewhere, at short notice. Even if we aren't currently at war, many of them will have seen stuff that will leave them with ptsd.

Let's be grateful that at the moment it is 'just a career choice' and we don't need them to risk their lives everyday.

mudsticks

Squire
You could say the same for any peacetime occupation though. It's a choice to take that job. By the same logic, why do we clap for the NHS? Doctors chose to be doctors and are paid a decent whack.

We do it because we acknowledge that they often do difficult jobs in harsh circumstances. And with the armed forces it can be a job that might risk their lives or where they might be called on to defend us, or others elsewhere, at short notice. Even if we aren't currently at war, many of them will have seen stuff that will leave them with ptsd.

Let's be grateful that at the moment it is 'just a career choice' and we don't need them to risk their lives everyday.

"Lest we forget"

- how terrible war is, and how hard we should work to build peace, prevent more conflict.

But it rings a bit hollow from the second biggest arms exporter in the world.

Yes we should mourn for those lost in armed conflict.
And the innocent civilians caught in the crossfire too.

But not in a way that glorifies war, in any way shape or form.

Sadly though many still do that.

Top Bottom