Privatisation and nationalisation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

Companies avoiding taxes, through loopholes, has been going on for the whole of my adult life, regardless of party in power. Perhaps, we need to hire someone to write our tax laws more effectively?
Lol...that's ok then.Love the way you try and justify it by there all the same !
If it makes you feel better,eases your conscience a little why not.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Lol...that's ok then.Love the way you try and justify it by there all the same !
If it makes you feel better,eases your conscience a little why not.

I didn't say "they are all the same", I said, neither party had "sorted it". My conscience is completely at ease. Thank you for your concern.

mjr

I prefer the term public ownership....but yes I'm all for it !
Would you really be happy with a load of Arms-Length-Management Companies (Almcos) which continue to pillage and plunder as before, but now the Treasury gets all the shareholder dividends? And the next capitalist government can privatise them easily st any time? What would be the point?

D

Deleted member 49

Would you really be happy with a load of Arms-Length-Management Companies (Almcos) which continue to pillage and plunder as before, but now the Treasury gets all the shareholder dividends? And the next capitalist government can privatise them easily st any time? What would be the point?
Yea your right....just carry on as we are shall we ? Public ownership preferably.
Edited to say you can sleep easy I don't think there's much chance of Starmer growing some any time soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

ebikeerwidnes

I agree with George

Yup - a lot of things that used to be paid for by our taxes and be the responsibility of government have now have bits nad pieces dropped and have been picked up by charities - at no cost (pretty much) to the government.
Such as Food Banks - never heard of then a while ago - now they are a necessary part of the system but are run by volunteers

and who are the volunteers ???
I'm not sure but somehow I suspect most of then are NOT from the part of society that has to worry about the higher tax bands
although I sure there are some people who are - but most around here are probably not

Yup - a lot of things that used to be paid for by our taxes and be the responsibility of government have now have bits nad pieces dropped and have been picked up by charities - at no cost (pretty much) to the government.
Such as Food Banks - never heard of then a while ago - now they are a necessary part of the system but are run by volunteers

and who are the volunteers ???
I'm not sure but somehow I suspect most of then are NOT from the part of society that has to worry about the higher tax bands
although I sure there are some people who are - but most around here are probably not
It's worst than that. As the purse strings tighten, less people are able to afford to donate food to charity. More people need foodbanks and less food is being donated.
I'm guessing that like many charities for the needy it's not the wealthier that are doing the donating....

D

Deleted member 49

Food banks are now a way of life in this country.According to Trussell Trust 29,000 parcels given out by the end of 12 years of Labour Govt, versus 2.5 million and counting under the Tories.
Yet many dont seem to care as long as someone else is worse off than them.
I thought things were bad under Thatcher and they were,but if you'd of said then that foodbanks would become the norm and accepted as a way of feeding people in this country I'd of thought nah,no way !
We're one of the richest countrys there is and we've a screwed view that supports billionaires and the elite whilst demonising the poor.

mjr

Yea your right....just carry on as we are shall we ? Public ownership preferably.
Edited to say you can sleep easy I don't think there's much chance of Starmer growing some any time soon.
Why don't you want full nationalisation, or worker or customer ownership? It's surprising for you to be arguing for the wishy-washy capitalist-friendly "public ownership" third way.

And nah, I'd be shocked if Starmer supported this. Even more shocked if Johnson or Davey did!

D

Deleted member 49

Why don't you want full nationalisation, or worker or customer ownership? It's surprising for you to be arguing for the wishy-washy capitalist-friendly "public ownership" third way.
Well I'd consider any on their merits.Taking back control of our wealth and resources for the good of the population rather than the big corporations and shareholder's is the goal But I'd be prepared to listen to your idea ?

ebikeerwidnes

It's worst than that. As the purse strings tighten, less people are able to afford to donate food to charity. More people need foodbanks and less food is being donated.
I'm guessing that like many charities for the needy it's not the wealthier that are doing the donating....
Exactly - so taxes are reduced and the wealthy get more wealthy and the slack gets taken up by those that can just afford to help out

while those that can help very easily often do naff all
- not all wealthy people of course - but ......
IMO the number of Food Banks needed should be a matter of serious shame to the government

note - should be

mjr

Well I'd consider any on their merits.Taking back control of our wealth and resources for the good of the population rather than the big corporations and shareholder's is the goal But I'd be prepared to listen to your idea ?
Oh you know me Adam, I'd go for full nationalisation of things that cannot compete like water service and place them in whatever level of government seems most appropriate; and multistakeholder cooperatives running services that can have some competition like transport with the initial split between users and workers set by where they came from, but that split could itself become part of the competition in time: do you use the bus where users get all the divi or the one where it's shared with drivers or do you not care?

I don't see how you would get things being run "for the good of the population" if you just replace private shareholders with the government as shareholder. That too easily results in what's known as "the old settlement" where the users are still being screwed but now the profits screwed out of them going to boost rich people's tax cuts instead of incomes.

Do you feel that NatWest/RBS has been run "for the good of the population" at any time since it was taken over by the UK Government in 2008? Under Labour, Coalition or Conservatives?

D

Deleted member 49

I don't see how you would get things being run "for the good of the population" if you just replace private shareholders with the government as shareholder.
You don't see it because we don't have it and won't under a Tory goverment.I doubt very much under Starmer either.
Do you feel that NatWest/RBS has been run "for the good of the population" at any time since it was taken over by the UK Government in 2008? Under Labour, Coalition or Conservatives?
No not particularly...there was a reason. that the chairman of RBS sh1t his pants at the thought of a Corbyn goverment though.lol.
"The prospect of Jeremy Corbyn leading a Labour government is a concern to UK banks, according to Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) chairman, Howard Davies."

Top Bottom