Racist cricketers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Casting stones whilst residing in glass houses etc etc

Yeah.... I remembered that one too, but, not from Sunday school.

I am not religious, but, I have to admit, the Bible has it sewn up on useful phrases, you can find one for just about any take on any discussion ;)

Last edited:
a deliciously complicated moral maze
Will you be channelling Melanie Phillips?

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
Is it tho?

No

On this very thread we've had a member of the Asian community confirm the P word is not offensive to some Asians.

No doubt you would bellow 'racist' at anyone who called a Pakistani the P word, and in the case of the cricketers you'd pretty much be right.

But in other cases you would be entirely wrong.

If someone hears the word used in an everyday situation, how are they to know if the usage is offensive or inoffensive?

The answer might be your definition of simple, but it isn't mine.

D

Deleted member 49

On this very thread we've had a member of the Asian community confirm the P word is not offensive to some Asians.

No doubt you would bellow 'racist' at anyone who called a Pakistani the P word, and in the case of the cricketers you'd pretty much be right.

But in other cases you would be entirely wrong.

If someone hears the word used in an everyday situation, how are they to know if the usage is offensive or inoffensive?

The answer might be your definition of simple, but it isn't mine.
This is bollox....the same way some black people use the n word about each other ? It's all about context if you called my mate brummie Phil the P word he'd be offended.In fact offended enough to give you a slap.If you called my partner Paddy,Mick etc you'd get the same.We all know these are offensive terms the way they can be used.Would you walk into the local newsagent and use the word Paki in a friendly way if you didn't know them ?

This is bollox....the same way some black people use the n word about each other ? It's all about context if you called my mate brummie Phil the P word he'd be offended.In fact offended enough to give you a slap.If you called my partner Paddy,Mick etc you'd get the same.We all know these are offensive terms the way they can be used.Would you walk into the local newsagent and use the word Paki in a friendly way if you didn't know them ?

I cannot work out how one can be so hard of thinking that one cannot see that the ironic use of N or P between consenting members of those groups somehow legitimises the wider use of the words.

D

Deleted member 49

I cannot work out how one can be so hard of thinking that one cannot see that the ironic use of N or P between consenting members of those groups somehow legitimises the wider use of the words.
There not...they just choose to put that angle on it.Its shameful to think that this case with Azeem Rafiq is trying to be spun as some sort of banter ? As a Muslim he had red wine poured down his throat...I'm not sure that was just a friendly prank either ffs

Moodyman

Whether it's the N or the P word, words themselves are harmless. It's the context in which they're used that determines their impact.

Until not so long ago, it was quite common for the Australians to use the P word when talking to or about Pakistan cricketers. Both parties were oblivious to the P word being a racial slur as understood in the UK.

Venod

Serendipitous
A couple of Pakistani cricketers in the nets.

258746064_10226314272425273_7932696820231292858_n.jpg

A couple of Pakistani cricketers in the nets.
View attachment 244
Is that even real?

Reverse image search suggests 0 results.

Moodyman

The P word is an issue in the British Isles and is offensive to British Asians.

Pakistani Pakistanis (as well Aussies, Americans and Indians) use it as shorthand and don't find it offensive because it doesn't have the racist baggage.

In much the same way, the N word isn't deemed offensive by the black people of Brazil because the word was never used in a racist context there. It's only offensive in the Anglosphere.

Top Bottom