Racist cricketers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

The P word is an issue in the British Isles and is offensive to British Asians.

Pakistani Pakistanis (as well Aussies, Americans and Indians) use it as shorthand and don't find it offensive because it doesn't have the racist baggage.

In much the same way, the N word isn't deemed offensive by the black people of Brazil because the word was never used in a racist context there. It's only offensive in the Anglosphere.
So is that their problem or ours?

If a 'British Asian ' went to Australia and someone called them a paki would they be upset or not?

Moodyman

So is that their problem or ours?

If a 'British Asian ' went to Australia and someone called them a paki would they be upset or not?

I guess it depends on the context in which it was used, and the interpretation of it by the recipient.

matticus

Guru
... and if in Britain:
what if an Aussie uses the word Paki? or
one of the "black people of Brazil" says Nigga?

Moodyman

... and if in Britain:

I was wondering this when the Yorkshire story broke out. Gary Ballance is of Zimbabwe origin. It's possible, though unlikely as he's lived in the UK long enough, that he did not view the P word disparagingly.

I have a white South African friend and he uses it all the time as shorthand when discussing cricket. I don't find it offensive, because it's not used in a racist context.

The black Brazilian is more likely to say negro - which...you've guessed it...means black. Nothing more, nothing less. The N word with your spelling was used disparagingly by white America and so, has that offensive slant.

Whilst we're talking of words, Jew sits in the same category. It's a perfectly legitimate noun, but has been used with an anti-Semitic tone for time immemorial. Think Shakespeare and the Merchant of Venice. Jew has become such social faux pas, that we now say Jewish.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
we now say Jewish.

I once referred in conversation to a colleague of ours, saying, "I think Adam is Jewish." My thick mate said, "No, I think you'll find he is an actual Jew."

Eejit thought Jewish meant 'resembling or having the characteristics of' a Jew.

matticus

Guru
In much the same way, the N word isn't deemed offensive by the black people of Brazil because the word was never used in a racist context there. It's only offensive in the Anglosphere.
Just out of interest, what changed your mind to write "Negro" in a later post?

There's quite a story unfolding in the world of leather on willow and cream teas.

One of the latest tales relates to Alex Hales who was pictured about 10 years ago in what appears to be head to toe black make up.

His explanation, which might even have some truth in it, is he was attending a musician themed fancy dress party as the rapper Tupac.

Which in itself begs a question - is it permissible for a white man to dress up as a black man?

Looks like it isn't, but the white man can certainly dress up as a woman, and I've never heard any complaints about an Englishman donning a kilt and sporran to dress as a Scotsman.

What if a black man wanted to dress as a white one?

Wouldn't bother me.

Much of this stuff is a deliciously complicated moral maze.

The so called P word has been at the heart of many of the stories.

The vast majority appear to consider it offensive, not least the person who it was said to who ought to have the final say.

Yet two Pakistanis, one older guy and a young woman, have told me they don't regard it as offensive, and some members of their community use it as a short form, in the same way Brit is used as short for British.

Not that I will ever use it, and nor will I ever be seen with a black face, unless Pale Rider Towers is blown up and I'm covered in soot.

Which I suppose is my way of saying it ought to be possible with only a little thought to avoid getting into racial hot water.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16779926/alex-hales-blackface-picture-england-cricket/
You daft racist.

Moodyman

Just out of interest, what changed your mind to write "Negro" in a later post?

Because it's a perfectly legitimate word if used correctly. In Latin languages it simply means black and is pronounced 'nayrow', not 'neegro' as its used in English. The word you used stems from the latter.

icowden

Legendary Member
... and if in Britain:

As @Moodyman said, I think it is about context. It becomes dangerous and pointless when a term or act is deemed "racist" without any context.
A good example of this is Reginald D Hunter's treatment post PFA Awards in 2013. He uses the N word a lot, as a black man from the deep south. Yet he was dragged through the newspapers as having used a "racist" term, the PFA asked for their fee back etc.

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/414...nter-hits-back-at-critics-after-controversial

His response was this
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741830.231809290183653&type=3&l=ec10a4ab5c

Essentially pointing out that *nobody* at the gig had an issue with what he said, or was even vaguely upset.

We do seem to be in an age where even the vaguest items are taken as being racist or cultural appropriation.

matticus

Guru
Because it's a perfectly legitimate word if used correctly. In Latin languages it simply means black and is pronounced 'nayrow', not 'neegro' as its used in English. The word you used stems from the latter.
Oh sure, totally agree! But what I'm asking is: why did you write "the N word" initially?
Seems odd, if you know that negro is perfectly legitimate. Not a problem, I was just curious ...

Ian H

Guru
Oh sure, totally agree! But what I'm asking is: why did you write "the N word" initially?
Seems odd, if you know that negro is perfectly legitimate. Not a problem, I was just curious ...
It is no longer a legitimate descriptor in either the USA or the UK.

Moodyman

It is no longer a legitimate descriptor in either the USA or the UK.

Indeed, the N and igga word written by @matticus is largely an Anglosphere term and offensive in the English speaking word. Hence, abbreviation to N.

When I wrote negro (Latin spelling) it was in reference to Brazil where the word does not have a racist undertone.

Of course, the nub is how any word is used.

Top Bottom