Reform, and the death of the Tory Party

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
I can see there is a distinction but also that the current way it's structured given the Unions the power and influence.

I do wonder if donations by union membership could be structured differently such that donations move directly from member to their chosen party. Current arrangements do seem to give the Unions power eg

Which does give the impression that the Unions are buying something (or trying to).

If you've not watched Brian Walden's Youtube video of the downfall of Jim Callaghan, it's a vivid reminder of the leverage the unions once had (as well as a good reminder of how superb Walden was), and why they might be reluctant to lose even more.
 

Dorset Boy

Über Member
Yup. Came up on my InstaGram feed earlier. I've just sent them a few.

Just send Reform a whole load of empty envelopes instead, and donate the money you would have spent on the cards directly to the RNLI.
Perhaps if every decent person sent them 10 empty envelopes it would use up some of their funds and waste their time too!
 

laurentian

Active Member
In all the uproar over the two £36M crypto billionaire donations to Reform that I have heard and seen over the past few days, I am amazed that no commentator or interviewer has mentioned Farage's 2025 pledge to cut crypto capital gains tax to 10%.

Far be it from me to suggest that this would be motivation in itself for wealthy crypto types to donate to the party in the hope of ensuring a future Reform government but surely someone should be making the point . . .
 

Pblakeney

Shaman
In all the uproar over the two £36M crypto billionaire donations to Reform that I have heard and seen over the past few days, I am amazed that no commentator or interviewer has mentioned Farage's 2025 pledge to cut crypto capital gains tax to 10%.

Far be it from me to suggest that this would be motivation in itself for wealthy crypto types to donate to the party in the hope of ensuring a future Reform government but surely someone should be making the point . . .

Quid pro quo.
Lots of quids.
 

AuroraSaab

Epic Member
I'm probably being naive/cynical here but since Reform have had no problem getting their message out in the past I think this money is going to be spunked up a wall/go into certain people's pockets. Delete as appropriate.

The Brexit leaflet cost about £8 million. Not cheap but it went to every household. I don't think there's any doubt there will be a substantial amount of money left in reserve after whatever they spend on a general election campaign, especially as you can't do tv advertising or paid for party political broadcasts here. It's enough to bankroll the party for several years to come, without any other income. It's going to be spent on 'personal costs' because it's simply far too much money.
 

monkers

Pharaoh
The Brexit leaflet cost about £8 million. Not cheap but it went to every household. I don't think there's any doubt there will be a substantial amount of money left in reserve after whatever they spend on a general election campaign, especially as you can't do tv advertising or paid for party political broadcasts here. It's enough to bankroll the party for several years to come, without any other income. It's going to be spent on 'personal costs' because it's simply far too much money.

The Brexit leaflet was not paid for from party funds.
 

AuroraSaab

Epic Member
I didn't say it was. I was implying that you can do a lot for 8 million quid and even if they ran a big bucks GE campaign there will be a substantial amount left that will undoubtedly 'need' to be spent on other non campaign-y things.
 

monkers

Pharaoh
I didn't say it was. I was implying that you can do a lot for 8 million quid and even if they ran a big bucks GE campaign there will be a substantial amount left that will undoubtedly 'need' to be spent on other non campaign-y things.

Ah I see, an unstated comparator. Well for your assistance then, the bill was £9.3M and footed by the Cabinet Office.

I'll just mention here that there are two funding caps that must be observed at the time of a general election - a cap on the party expenditure, and a cap on candidate expenditure. Before the election there is unlimited spending on 'infrastructure'.

But I do see your point as some kind of comparitor and it stands. Though have you seen the cost of postage these days?
 
You've placed a question mark after ''I think''. I can't really answer that except to say that I do not offer Vulcan mind melding services. ^_^

If you'd like my legal opinion about whether existing laws are sufficient or insufficient to protect what we understand to be a functioning democracy, then I have a one word answer - insufficient.
I mainly said i think because i don't know all the specific law in the area of political party funding, but anyone with common sense and not in reform's @rse knows this shouldn't be legal if it is. And Farage would be screaming that from the rooftops if Lets say Polansky(if i write that correctly) of the Greens would have received a similar gift in a similar way.
Since the first part of this response was written we are a few days futher i heard Jenkins and now Farage himself say it's perfectly legal but no such evidence was ever shown, so it's most likely sketchy at best plain illigal in many laws at worst (for Farage that is)
 
Top Bottom