Rishi Sunak is a Tosser....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@theclaud I couldn't change the title of the original Sunak thread, so here's a new one....

So, next-up for destruction are our net-zero goals! Speech later to outline the plan:
Pushing back the date of the sales-ban on fossil fuel cars - against the will and investors in clean car technology
Rolling back replacement of gas boilers.
Lots of other bits and pieces.

Is this because he can't meet the targets? Is it just red-meat to a few voters - if so, who does he really think he's fooling?

At least in the race to the bottom, we're doing well...

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Is this because he can't meet the targets? Is it just red-meat to a few voters

Yes...and Yes.

multitool

Shaman
Yes, it's both.

Meeting the targets means actually doing something. This is not in current Tory DNA. More so because the changes are likely to meet resistance.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Given the economic situation there is a reasonable view that the inevitable cost burden on households of the current targets should be eased.

But a discussion about that is unlikely to take place on here since the majority of posters are only interested in calling Sunak names.

Beebo

Veteran
Given the economic situation there is a reasonable view that the inevitable cost burden on households of the current targets should be eased.

It will actually cost more in the long run to do nothing, as the financial implications of not meeting net zero are huge.
So whilst it may cost 5% of GDP in the short term, it saves money and lives in the long term.
So Sunak’s policy is very much just kicking the can down the road for someone else to worry about. It’s staggeringly naive, but will appeal to the populist voters.
I very much doubt Sunak actually believes what he is spouting.

presta

I don't see any reason to be surprised by this. The reason nothing's ever done about the climate is that as soon as there's desperately needed votes to be had by cutting the green crap, they'll cut the green crap.

Jake's just been on the radio arguing that if electric cars are any good people will buy them without subsidies. If we'd applied that logic to sewers we'd still be emptying chamber pots out of windows.

AndyRM

Elder Goth

But a discussion about that is unlikely to take place on here since the majority of posters are only interested in calling Sunak names.

They aren't though. The search function would have told you that.

I don't think Sunak is much of a politician as it happens.

Pale Rider

Veteran
They aren't though. The search function would have told you that.

Getting rid of the old boiler looks a dear job to me.

Not so many households could easily pull out an estimated £10,000 -£15,000, depending on the nature of the property.

It will have to be done at some point, but easing/delaying that transition makes lots of sense to the vast numbers of us faced with that bill.

The previous idea - forcing people to rip out serviceable boilers - made no sense from several points of view.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Just to put things in perspective, if you think Rishi Sunak is a tosser, just think yourself lucky you don't live in Wales where the Tory leader in the Senedd is Andrew R T Davies (a repulsive, arrogant, moronic a*hole). Rishi Sunak is a saint in comparison, but I suppose the bar is set very low.

• Sad
Reactions: C R

Beebo

Veteran

Not so many households could easily pull out an estimated £10,000 -£15,000, depending on the nature of the property.

It will have to be done at some point, but easing/delaying that transition makes lots of sense to the vast numbers of us faced with that bill.
It going to cost lots of money at some point.
Kicking the can isn’t really that helpful.
It just burdens the younger members of society again as they will have to pay for what their parents should have done.

AndyRM

Elder Goth

The previous idea - forcing people to rip out serviceable boilers - made no sense from several points of view.

£10,000 to £15,000 for a replacement boiler? Are you having one made out of diamonds or something?

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Still, we don't have to have things we didn't have to have. (Only the last one appears to be an outcome of government policy.)
F6ep_QWWkAAeINo?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg

Top Bottom