Runners and riders for the Tory Party leadership...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Sky have cancelled tonight's debate after Sunak and Truss pulled out of their free political broadcasts for the Greens, LibDem and Labour parties.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
If it's on Sky, no-one will be watching anyway!

only the multi millions that have sky......

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I watched the ITV debate and thought Sunak and Badenoch presented themselves well, Tugendhat was weak, Truss unconvincing and Mordaunt content free.

As for policies - none of them are my thing.

If the Tories asked me to choose for them I would say Sunak.

Yes, if I were a CP member, and, making a rational decision, I think that would be my choice too, not that I necessarily agree with him, but, he is the only one who has had "top flight" experience, in Government, and, may, therefore be able to hold it together until a GE takes place.

Since only the CP members have a vote, then, I just cannot understand why any of them would submit themselves to the TV Debates, since the potential audience have no say at this stage.

Cirrus

Perhaps the title of this thread unwittingly has hit upon the best system for electing leaders
We should have a modern pentathletes type event involving candidates running and riding in different handicapped events

would make for more fun TV - perhaps even a political Its a Knockout...or for Remainers Jeux San Frontiers

Squid Game would be an interesting method

BoldonLad

Perhaps the title of this thread unwittingly has hit upon the best system for electing leaders
We should have a modern pentathletes type event involving candidates running and riding in different handicapped events

would make for more fun TV - perhaps even a political Its a Knockout...or for Remainers Jeux San Frontiers

yes, agree, it would at least have a chance of some entertainment value

icowden

Legendary Member
Yes, if I were a CP member, and, making a rational decision, I think that would be my choice too, not that I necessarily agree with him, but, he is the only one who has had "top flight" experience, in Government, and, may, therefore be able to hold it together until a GE takes place.
But he is massively tainted by his work in the Johnson government, his tax evasion and his unwillingness to close tax loopholes. There is an argument that the stables need to be cleaned and someone without taint appointed.

BoldonLad

But he is massively tainted by his work in the Johnson government, his tax evasion and his unwillingness to close tax loopholes. There is an argument that the stables need to be cleaned and someone without taint appointed.

OK, so, you wouldn't vote for him... your choice... but, unless you are a CP Member, it is academic, just as my views are.

I don't disagree with your points relating to his past, but, we are talking about what he may do, or, have to do, in the next two years. He is a politician, he can and will do what suits his cause, as they all will, all I am saying is, he has experience at that level, the rest don't,

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis

Ideally yes, but if the electorate has followed them down the culture war rabbithole then maybe not. Tory voters were prepared to forgive, and even endorse a lot of Johnson's bad behaviour for a very long time .

Cleaning the stables also means, I think, educating and engaging the electorate. We still have 'Brexiteer' as an identity, people happy to vote just to annoy people they disagree with, 'anti-woke' as a label to be proud of. Still all similar stuff which fed in to the EU referendum IMO. Culture wars and identity politics. I hope people are starting to see through it but I daren't be too optimistic.

icowden

Legendary Member
OK, so, you wouldn't vote for him... your choice... but, unless you are a CP Member, it is academic, just as my views are.
Well of course.

I agree he has top level experience, but I'm not sure how much that counts for the office of Prime Minister.

Ian H

Legendary Member
Since only the CP members have a vote, then, I just cannot understand why any of them would submit themselves to the TV Debates, since the potential audience have no say at this stage.
I suspect constituency members will be lobbying their MPs to vote for their favourites.

BoldonLad

I suspect constituency members will be lobbying their MPs to vote for their favourites.

I don't doubt it, but, still don't see the point (from the candidates or Conservative party view point) of National Television spectacles/debates.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I don't doubt it, but, still don't see the point (from the candidates or Conservative party view point) of National Television spectacles/debates.

One can only assume that they thought it would make useful propaganda, except they seem to have badly misjudged the capability of the candidates.

Dunning-Kruger effect innit. And these are the very best that the current iteration of the Tory party has to offer.

Or you can choose which STD you'd prefer.

Neither are very appealing prospects tbh.

FA616617-F062-4625-B8A9-67FC96D26BF6.jpeg

Top Bottom