Russel Brand seems to have an situation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
The police have now confirmed that complaints have been received and are being investigated

And suggestions that similar may happen in USA. Which is interesting as he could be fighting to clear his name in two jurisdictions

spen666

As now seems likely there is or is to be an active police investigation, this should have effect of reducing amount of information the media can or will publish due to fear of breaching reporting restrictions.

icowden

Legendary Member
Yes, the famously flawless and unbiased British legal system is literally the only way we should form opinions about anyone ever. No sexual abuser has ever escaped justice. Every victim has been treated fairly by the judicial system, the media and the public, and all have felt comfortable and confident in coming forward and trusting the police and courts.
Unfortunately the laws of the UK do say that people, however odious, are entitled to a fair trial where the facts are presented to a Judge and sometimes also a Jury. It makes it very difficult to exercise justice properly if there are no unbiased jurors thanks to trial by media.

I believe the women. I believe that Brand used his ridiculous persona and celebrity to his advantage and to take advantage.
I also have no difficulty believing this. I still think that he is entitled to a fair trial should there be sufficient evidence to bring charges. That Brand is odious is not in question. That he is a womaniser and former sex addict is not in question.

I believe that he has cultivated a cult around himself comprised of members of the public and of influential figures which provide him support and protection.
I doubt that very much. I just don't think that anyone has actually tried to bring charges for anything.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Unfortunately the laws of the UK do say that people, however odious, are entitled to a fair trial where the facts are presented to a Judge and sometimes also a Jury. It makes it very difficult to exercise justice properly if there are no unbiased jurors thanks to trial by media.

I also have no difficulty believing this. I still think that he is entitled to a fair trial should there be sufficient evidence to bring charges. That Brand is odious is not in question. That he is a womaniser and former sex addict is not in question.

I doubt that very much. I just don't think that anyone has actually tried to bring charges for anything.

This reads like a list of more ways in which he's been able to get away with it.

Beebo

Veteran
Extreme promiscuity is always going to cause problems. Even if both parties believe it to be consensual, there is always the risk that someone will get hurt, recollections will differ and mistakes will be made.

I’m no prude but anyone who feels the need to sleep with hundreds of people clearly has an unhealthy imbalance in their life.

And his power dynamic makes this all very worrying. I don’t think the excuse of “I’m a sex addict, and you should have all known” is good enough.

OP
OP
dutchguylivingintheuk

dutchguylivingintheuk

Über Member
Extreme promiscuity is always going to cause problems. Even if both parties believe it to be consensual, there is always the risk that someone will get hurt, recollections will differ and mistakes will be made.
Not true if the right conversations, steps before ''action'' are taken.
I’m no prude but anyone who feels the need to sleep with hundreds of people clearly has an unhealthy imbalance in their life.
I don't agree who are we to judge anyone elses live balance? especaily based on their sex live? There are many men/woman/trans/whatever people who have sex with hunderds of other people, if it's all consentual i don't see why that would be any of our bussiness or lead to an ''unhealthty balance''
And his power dynamic makes this all very worrying. I don’t think the excuse of “I’m a sex addict, and you should have all known” is good enough.
I agree that using ''i'm a sex addict'' as an excuse for anything is wrong, just using an addiction for anything as an excuse is wrong.

Beebo

Veteran
That's some judgement right there @Beebo. An unhealthy balance? Nope.

It’s an opinion that not everyone will agree with. But extremes of anything are often unhealthy.

Clearly not all sex addicts will be rapists, but I suspect the percentage is higher than average. Drug addicts and alcoholics often leave a trail of destruction behind them. Why would a sex addict be any different.

99.9% of the people Brand slept with may well be fine with how the arrangement took place. But a few clearly aren’t.

It stands to reason that the more sexual encounters you have the more likely you are to get it badly wrong at some point. Especially if you treat sex and people’s feelings as a casual transaction.

It looks like the BBC are removing some/all of his material from their site. And YouTube have frozen his earnings from his account. It's all a bit Yewtree already, they don't want to be seen to have "done nothing" like with Saville. Fair enough.

As for the sex addict bit; I don't see as that makes any difference. It's either fully consensual or it's not. If he slept with 1 person or 8000 other people consensually, that would be fine. But as soon as 1 isn't consensual, then it's a trial like any other.

I hope it's all not true. I think Brand is a colossal mouth on a stick but hopefully his morals are sound and no-one suffered abuse

AndyRM

Elder Goth
It’s an opinion that not everyone will agree with. But extremes of anything are often unhealthy.

Clearly not all sex addicts will be rapists, but I suspect the percentage is higher than average. Drug addicts and alcoholics often leave a trail of destruction behind them. Why would a sex addict be any different.

99.9% of the people Brand slept with may well be fine with how the arrangement took place. But a few clearly aren’t.

It stands to reason that the more sexual encounters you have the more likely you are to get it badly wrong at some point. Especially if you treat sex and people’s feelings as a casual transaction.

If that's your take on addiction that's fair enough. I think you're wrong.

CXRAndy

Guru
trial by media" is a bullshît phrase

Trial has already happened, he has currently been sentenced financially, and reputation- whatever you may think of him. (Imagine if you were in the similar situation) Not likely I know 😂

Upto press he has not been charged with any offence, yet all his engagements and revenue have been stopped
What happened to anonymity?

I know he announced first, but I think that was to head off the press release.

What should have happened those with grievance approach police, police investigation. If charged then press release news.

"trial by media" is a bullshît phrase.

it should be, but that's not what happens now. 99% of people are subjected to media whether they like it or not. As Andy has said, Brand has already been financially stung, as has his reputation, before he's even been inside a court room

Top Bottom