Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
My charitable efforts will continue to focus on more deserving causes, but if you want to walk down your street with a collecting tin to benefit private school parents, feel free. Let us know how you get on.

Your post referred to the Schools (and, I rather assumed, the parents) doing fund raising, not members of the public, like myself.

A common fund raising wheeze in the area I live (usually to fund juveniles football clubs, but, not exclusively so), if for children/young people to post themselves at the supermarket checkout, and, offer to pack customers purchases for them. I rather thing technology is in the process of scuppering this one, as an increasing number of people use self service checkouts.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I haven't said I'd ban anything, so that's an odd accusation. I'd like to see the pretence of charitable status for private schools come to an end and the money raised be used to the benefit of the other 94% of children. I think yesterday would have been a good day to make that change, but tomorrow will do.

As seems to often be the case we are not a million miles apart in the aims but differ a bit in the methods/timescales to achieve those aims.

My experience of seeing political/social change being talked about but then hit into the long grass means I tend to write about what I think is more likely to happen in practice rather than what I would like.

As seems to often be the case we are not a million miles apart in the aims but differ a bit in the methods/timescales to achieve those aims.

My experience of seeing political/social change being talked about but then hit into the long grass means I tend to write about what I think is more likely to happen in practice rather than what I would like.

Blame my youth for my impetuosity.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
Look, I know you believe you're doing the right thing for your children. I simply don't understand why you think their school deserves charitable status and all that goes with it simply to lower your fees.
I actually don't. I do believe that Labour removing the assisted places scheme was hugely damaging and without a plan to make Private Schools redundant, their current plan will only hit the families with the least amount of money. There therefore needs to be a plan to ensure that children from lower income families, particularly where those children have additional needs (a) do not suffer unduly if they are currently at a private school and (b) are not prevented from accessing these settings where mainstream schools cannot meet needs.

are not prevented from accessing these settings where mainstream schools cannot meet needs.
I'm not convinced that segregating bright / rich / needful kids into private schools is the best way to improve outcomes for the majority, and arguably even for that minority.

BoldonLad

I haven't said I'd ban anything, so that's an odd accusation. I'd like to see the pretence of charitable status for private schools come to an end and the money raised be used to the benefit of the other 94% of children. I think yesterday would have been a good day to make that change, but tomorrow will do.

Most of the parents of the 6% will be paying tax, which will be funding, at least in part, the education of the 94% in state schools.

Ian H

Guru
Most of the parents of the 6% will be paying tax, which will be funding, at least in part, the education of the 94% in state schools.

I wonder if the tax they pay covers the income to the government lost because of private schools' charitable status.

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

I wonder if the tax they pay covers the income to the government lost because of private schools' charitable status.

No idea, and, given the scope of taxes they may be paying, like the rest of us, (eg Income Tax, VAT, Fuel Duty, Alcohol Duty, Insurance Premium Tax etc etc etc) I would suspect near to impossible to work out with any degree of accuracy.

Considering Income Tax alone, the IFS say that the top 10% of this earners with the highest income pay 60% of Income Tax receipts. It seems reasonable to assume that pupils at fee paying schools are predominantly, but, not exclusively, from higher earning households.

Last edited:
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
I'm not convinced that segregating bright / rich / needful kids into private schools is the best way to improve outcomes for the majority, and arguably even for that minority.
At the moment there is no other option, and I don't believe that Labour have a magic wand.

FWIW I think the endless debate about Private Schools is much like the Chris Boardmans comment on wearing helmets and cycling safety...It's easy to focus on the benefits and privilege of the 6% and it's mostly a distraction - other than take learnings from what they do well. There should be a removal of charitable status and 20% VAT, however this needs to be done over a period of time, not in one fell swoop.
Focus on the other 94% and their needs, sure the extra revenue from changing private school funding will help, but it's a drop in the ocean with respect to improving outcomes in the state sector something that requires generational societal and parental change. As a nation I don't believe we value education highly enough and that's reflected in our governments....

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Last edited:

BoldonLad

FWIW I think the endless debate about Private Schools is much like the Chris Boardmans comment on wearing helmets and cycling safety...It's easy to focus on the benefits and privilege of the 6% and it's mostly a distraction - other than take learnings from what they do well. There should be a removal of charitable status and 20% VAT, however this needs to be done over a period of time, not in one fell swoop.
Focus on the other 94% and their needs, sure the extra revenue from changing private school funding will help, but it's a drop in the ocean with respect to improving outcomes in the state sector something that requires generational societal and parental change. As a nation I don't believe we value education highly enough and that's reflected in our governments....

Would agree with the bolded bit, further, I would say it is reflected in UK performance in almost every area, not just Governemnts.

Even if they have, perhaps, they would not wish to wave it:

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20230112/281994676593264

I think I am right in saying that even Saint Jeremy when to a price Prep School.

I cannot find any figure for how many Labour MPs send their offspring to fee paying schools.

It's a political side-show. Abolishing private schools tomorrow or castigating people (even politicians of any hue) for sending their kids privately will not benefit the state-sector. It needs a focused long-term strategy and our politics is not set-up to deliver that....

BoldonLad

It's a political side-show. Abolishing private schools tomorrow or castigating people (even politicians of any hue) for sending their kids privately will not benefit the state-sector. It needs a focused long-term strategy and our politics is not set-up to deliver that....

Agreed.

Top Bottom