Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Growing up we didn't have a car for most of my childhood and we went on holiday to Wales every other year or so. Even now we go on one foreign holiday per year and my car is a company car - and I am in a *much* better financial position than my parents were.

I'm pleased for you and therefore confident that you will find a way to pay VAT on your discretionary purchases.

Is a 7 year old Mitsubishi hybrid and no foreign holidays less flashy enough, and, a big enough sacrifice?, and, pupil cycles to school.

That's surely a matter for the fee payers, not me. I'm simply asking for a level playing field, given that most other luxuries are taxed.

Is education a luxury?
A good education should be a right. Private, gated education? Not so much.

Usual cop out, make a throw away statement, but, no substance
The substance is surely obvious. Discretionary spending, even if rooted in the belief that it is in a child's best interests, is usually subject to purchase taxes. Why should schools be exempt simply by pretending that they are mostly charitable institutions when the truth is demonstrably different?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
A good education should be a right. Private, gated education? Not so much.

The substance is surely obvious. Discretionary spending, even if rooted in the belief that it is in a child's best interests, is usually subject to purchase taxes. Why should schools be exempt simply by pretending that they are mostly charitable institutions when the truth is demonstrably different?

But there are already variation in taxation levels, for what ever reason (eg alcohol, tobacco), should taxation of discretionary spend items be uniformly taxed, thus allowing a level playing field for personal choice?

But there are already variation in taxation levels, for what ever reason (eg alcohol, tobacco), should taxation of discretionary spend items be uniformly taxed, thus allowing a level playing field for personal choice?

That's a different discussion, maybe for a different thread, but the quick answer from me is 'no'. Different tax levels are quite rightly used to modify demand for things that are harmful - sugar, petrol, tobacco, flying (I wish).

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I'm well aware that many private school parents believe they are struggling to pay for fees and everything else that's needed to avoid having their children appear to be the relatively impoverished ones. That's why I suggested that the schools themselves could use some of their own money to lessen the effect of any change. With state schools literally crumbling and struggling to recruit and retain teachers I don't believe that using tax to continue to offer a subsidy to the parents of already privileged kids is fair.

If they haven't seen the writing on the wall for years then they're not very good at financial planning.

The writing is not on the wall yet. It is still just on a wishlist that will not happen for years.

No business, for that is what these schools are, can plan on what some future government could do at some time in the future. Many governments cannot even plan on that basis.

Your first sentence just paints a negative picture of parents who do not share your views. It's an immediate ban or nothing else and is totally unrealistic outside of internet forums.

BoldonLad

That's a different discussion, maybe for a different thread, but the quick answer from me is 'no'. Different tax levels are quite rightly used to modify demand for things that are harmful - sugar, petrol, tobacco, flying (I wish).

undesirable, perhaps, not necessarily harmful, and, or course, who decides?

BoldonLad

Your first sentence just paints a negative picture of parents who do not share your views. It's an immediate ban or nothing else and is totally unrealistic outside of internet forums.

Quite a polite way of putting it! :okay:

I haven't said I'd ban anything, so that's an odd accusation. I'd like to see the pretence of charitable status for private schools come to an end and the money raised be used to the benefit of the other 94% of children. I think yesterday would have been a good day to make that change, but tomorrow will do.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
I'm pleased for you and therefore confident that you will find a way to pay VAT on your discretionary purchases.
It's unlikely. My mortgage is pretty much tapped out to the maximum now and I have a 10 year fixed thanks to the Trussminator. No more equity to release.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
I haven't said I'd ban anything, so that's an odd accusation. I'd like to see the pretence of charitable status for private schools come to an end and the money raised be used to the benefit of the other 94% of children. I think yesterday would have been a good day to make that change, but tomorrow will do.
I admire your optimism that any funds raised will be put towards Education.

It's unlikely. My mortgage is pretty much tapped out to the maximum now and I have a 10 year fixed thanks to the Trussminator. No more equity to release.

Could you save a bit by not buying expensive single source private school uniforms?

Look, I know you believe you're doing the right thing for your children. I simply don't understand why you think their school deserves charitable status and all that goes with it simply to lower your fees.

Top Bottom