Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Veteran
OK I admit it was obvious bait.

The point is that the Miss Snuffies are not just a handful of rogue perverts running weirdo places for the children of people like them, but that this kind of systematic and mandatory control-freakery is arising from ideologically-driven forced academisation and the domination of schooling by edubusiness. What options are there for parents who don't want their children subject to zero-tolerance sadism, in whose town some nutcase Multi-Academy Trust now has a monopoly on secondary education?

Look like more cod sociological sub-CSE level bullshit to me.

Out of interest, would my state grammar school qualify?

We had a strict uniform policy, including a ban on platform shoes which were fashionable at the time.

It was mandatory to wear the school cap when leaving the premises, and we had to walk across the large front yard, not run.

As regards the education, most teachers wore gowns, and it was very much 'talk and chalk'.

We also had corporal punishment, and a system of prefects who were able to discipline other pupils by giving them general orders or lines.

The result of all this is I rarely come across anyone who has a superior grasp of grammar and basic arithmetic to my own.

There are those who can all but match me, but I've never been embarrassed by my written English or my ability to do sums.

Unlike a lot of the younger and some of the older ones who, judging by their posts on social media and documents they've prepared for work, are semi-literate and barely numerate.

multitool

As it happens, I did, just not the histories.

I sort of agree with you @icowden - one of the best performances I've seen was a modern take on A Midsummer Night's Dream. But I do think you can get a lot out of reading his work as it engages the imagination.

Remember the context: a single teacher reading aloud (all parts + narration) to the tutor group, first thing in the morning.

It wouldn't work which is why they don't do it.

Pale Rider

Veteran
why oh why are we still forcing kids to read plays and heavy novels intended for adults!

There's something in that.

The worthy reading lists are all chosen by adults who think they know which books are suitable for children.

As a last resort, why don't we ask the children what they want to read?

AndyRM

Elder Goth

We had a strict uniform policy, including a ban on platform shoes which were fashionable at the time.

It was mandatory to wear the school cap when leaving the premises, and we had to walk across the large front yard, not run.

As regards the education, most teachers wore gowns, and it was very much 'talk and chalk'.

We also had corporal punishment, and a system of prefects who were able to discipline other pupils by giving them general orders or lines.

The result of all this is I rarely come across anyone who has a superior grasp of grammar and basic arithmetic to my own.

There are those who can all but match me, but I've never been embarrassed by my written English or my ability to do sums.

Unlike a lot of the younger and some of the older ones who, judging by their posts on social media and documents they've prepared for work, are semi-literate and barely numerate.

Are you for real?

Your grammar is appalling.

theclaud

Reading around the chip

And you turned out alright. Oh, hang on a minute...

multitool

You had a poor English teacher then?

Don't think you are grasping this.

We are talking about a tutor time reading programme delivered by tutors, who are most likely to not be English teachers.

We aren't talking about English lessons

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Let's deal with the sadism first. Sadism is a comment on intent. Are you really suggesting that the intent of teachers and headteachers is sadism? That one endpoint goal is to make the pupils suffer?
It's not really about intent - it's about people who gain some kind of pleasure or satisfaction from humiliating or punishing others, even if that is felt through means less direct than the cane or the slipper.

ids.gif

All the pupils have to do is behave themselves.
Bend to the will of others in sometimes senseless rules and conventions in which they have no input, choice or discretion, in other words. We're not talking about a brief situational surrender of autonomy, such as any of us might make in order to get something done, especially when we are the learner or less experienced party - we are talking about the character of young people's everyday life for years on end.

"forced academisation"?
Why the scare quotes? Schools are quite literally issued with orders. And what happens if teachers, parents, and children all decide they don't like the MAT they are under and decide they want to return to LA control? Clue: they can't.

And here we have the most ignorant and ideological of your accusations...that these schools were, in their pre-existing states, places of kindness, calm and academic success. [...] You've got this ridiculous notion that schools outside of the RTL system are havens.
I never said any of that.

You are cherry-picking which institutions should enforce good discipline
No, I'm not - I'm simply saying I don't find the kind of control-freakery described in the thread I posted as 'good discipline'. YMMV.

You are arße about face on this. If you look at it through the prism of class disadvantage it is YOU who are ensuring the entrenchment of that disadvantage.
Once again, I think we are arguing from a perspective of social mobility v one of social transformation.

these schools are addressing their basic function, which is to shape young people away from being horrible, destructive prïcks with no regard for anybody, and no motivation
I don't agree that this is the basic function of schools, or the default condition of unschooled children.

A whole bunch of you will be deciding how you respond on the basis of ideology, and not on the basis of the lives of children in these schools, about which you nothing beyond an ephemeral local newspaper clickbait headline
I suspect that there are plenty of people heareabouts with a lot of knowledge of teaching and schools. If you're going to frame it as a dispute between expertise and ignorance, I would say that you need both to make fewer assumptions about what others know, and to be a bit more explicit about your own credentials. I don't pretend to expertise in either field, but I have a professional interest in the creativity of children and young people and the sorts of environment in which it might flourish. Also, as it's something none of us get to opt out of, everyone is entitled to views about schooling derived from their own experience and that of other people they know.

multitool

It's not really about intent -

You say that, and then you go on to describe the intent to:
gain some kind of pleasure or satisfaction from humiliating or punishing others, even if that is felt through means less direct than the cane or the slipper.

But the point remains. Are you seriously suggesting that these schools are putting these rules in place purely for their own pleasure in humiliating children? At this point it is hard not to tell you to grow up.

Bend to the will of others in sometimes senseless rules and conventions

Who says they are senseless? You? That just means you dont understand them, but it doesnt mean they are senseless.

in which they have no input, choice or discretion, in other words.

And why should they? The whole point of these rules is to wrest control back from the children.

We're not talking about a brief situational surrender of autonomy, such as any of us might make in order to get something done, especially when we are the learner or less experienced party - we are talking about the character of young people's everyday life for years on end.

What like not being able to shout and swear in lessons while the teachers are talking? Having to come to school equipped? And actually having to do some work?

Yeah. Poor kids. Scarred for life they'll be.

Why the scare quotes?

What? Im quoting your words. "Forced academisation". Most schools converted willingly. The only schools forced out of LEA control were the schools that were shìt, and the LEA were doing nothing about it.

Schools are quite literally issued with orders. And what happens if teachers, parents, and children all decide they don't like the MAT they are under and decide they want to return to LA control? Clue: they can't.

Parents can move their kids (I moved mine) Teachers can move jobs (loads do)

lI never said any of that.

No, but it is the logical corollary of what you are saying.

No, I'm not - I'm simply saying I don't find the kind of control-freakery described in the thread I posted as 'good discipline'. YMMV.

Funnily enough, guess who is happier in schools with established discipline? The kids.

Once again, I think we are arguing from a perspective of social mobility v one of social transformation

It isn't a binary opposition. Social Mobility transforms society. I note that in spite of your criticisms you aren't posting any sort of realistic alternative method for schools that have gone feral, and are letting their students fail, to improve. And your usual nebulous stuff won't cut it. It has to be precise.

I don't agree that this is the basic function of schools, or the default condition of unschooled children

I didn't say anything about unschooled children. I'm saying that in broken schools where discipline is awful children are trained that misbehaviour works.

I suspect that there are plenty of people heareabouts with a lot of knowledge of teaching and schools. If you're going to frame it as a dispute between expertise and ignorance, I would say that you need both to make fewer assumptions about what others know, and to be a bit more explicit about your own credentials

I choose not to divulge any personal details on social media.

. I don't pretend to expertise in either field, but I have a professional interest in the creativity of children and young people and the sorts of environment in which it might flourish.

Yes, but with total inequivalence. Presumably they are voluntary (ie self-selecting), in small numbers, and doing something they are interested in
Also, as it's something none of us get to opt out of, everyone is entitled to views about schooling derived from their own experience and that of other people they know.

Let's here from people who went to chaotic schools with rampant bullying, no results to speak of and how itvreally set them up for a succesful life

multitool

A means to enforce conformity and submissiveness and suppress individuality.

Depends what the "conformity" and "individuality" consist of, doesn't it.

Expecting everybody to not bully is expecting conformity.

Suppressing the bullies means suppressing their "individuality".

Do you think we should extend your theory to other aspects of life, such as adhering to driving laws? Or do think conforming to them is bad?

Last edited:

C R

Über Member
Do you think we should extend you theory to other aspects of life, such as adhering to driving laws? Or do think conforming to them is bad?

Man, I am a sucker for pigeon chess. Do you realise that exactly the same argument is made by the mullahs to explain why women should not be allowed to decide if they want to cover up or not?

Top Bottom