Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman
Less likely to be in the main staffroom but most departments have their own offices where staff mix.

Precisely.

So they are going to be mixing with teachers of the same subject.

My kids only have one teacher per subject, and I'm assuming this is the norm. Therefore there will be no commonality amongst those dept staff in terms of the children they teach. They might talk about kids who ask to leave the class but they all be talking about different kids.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
But they will all likely be form tutors to different years and other subject staff will bring it up to those form tutors if a child is doing anything. And to the year tutor who might bring it to the attention of all the subject staff. The idea that teachers only know about the kids they physically teach in that particular year simply isn't true.

Most schools do still have a main classroom and whilst they get less use than they did in the past teachers still use them for morning staff meetings and lunchtimes. (If you're in a large school it's sometimes too far to walk to at Break).

multitool

Shaman
Sure, but its not a binary knowledge/ no knowledge situation.

There is no way of knowing what you don't know. It'll be the same in any large organisation where weak points are exploited, especially where there is poor communication.

Is this not precisely why these schools are instituting no toilet policies? Because there is a problem and staff arent stopping children abusing a freer system as you suggest they could based on shared knowledge?

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It's easier to have a complete ban than have a permissions system or let staff use their discretion, that's why some schools do it. Same reason some have instant detention for forgetting a pen. Easier isn't always right though, or even better in the long run. Girls on heavy periods will miss school rather than be put in an embarrassing situation in front of other kids.

multitool

Shaman
My experience of kids is that they push right up to whatever boundary you put up in front of them. So it's a question of where you put the boundaries. They are remarkably adaptable and resilient, in general. I think we expect too little of them, sometimes.

That said, I'd be surprised if, in these schools with blanket bans, that there isn't discretion used. I doubt any teacher would relish a kid pissing on a seat, or a girl leaking in front of her peers.

I don't think teachers are the cruel monsters that some here cast them as.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
Is this not precisely why these schools are instituting no toilet policies? Because there is a problem and staff arent stopping children abusing a freer system as you suggest they could based on shared knowledge?
And it further demonstrates why very large schools don't work as well. If you have 210 children in a school year it's far harder to monitor than 60.

multitool

Shaman
And it further demonstrates why very large schools don't work as well. If you have 210 children in a school year it's far harder to monitor than 60.

Unless, of course, you have very rigid systems.

You might well be right about large schools in many ways, but they do offer economies of scale.

And (you won't like this IC) but there are 1300 students at Eton....:hello:

Ian H

Guru
Unless, of course, you have very rigid systems.

You might well be right about large schools in many ways, but they do offer economies of scale.

And (you won't like this IC) but there are 1300 students at Eton....:hello:

What's the pupil to teacher/tutor ratio there?

multitool

Shaman
Trump mastered post-reality years ago. But I think the polling in the UK is showing that people are concerned with the real rather than the fake.

Top Bottom