Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

That's nice

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I have to admit to having something of an addiction to Tunnocks Teacakes - I'm perfectly capable of finishing an entire packet off in an afternoon - and that's the large size packet we're talking about.

Caramel wafers? Caramel logs? Oh yes! I've got both in the cupboard as we speak. Perhaps, then, you can imagine my alarm on reading the news that Tunnocks donates to the Tories. Well, I suppose I was already planning on making my diet a little more healthy. Sigh...

They have a larger size packet? Mrs @BoldonLad and Daughter No 2, will be VERY interested in that, as fellow addicts ;)

multitool

I'm enjoying watching the progress of the Labour campaign this far out, and how Starmer is trolling the tories and is now parking his tanks on Sunak's lawn.

It's objectively hilarious when you consider that the Tories are imploding before your eyes. Their Nat Con conference is a demonstration of just how much the right wing of the party hate their own party. Rees-Mogg has just proved it by openly accusing his own party of gerrymandering.

Starmer is pulling Sunak's ground from him. But he is also eyeing up post-election when Sunak will be ousted and very possibly the Conservatives will be atomised, and end up as a rump of hard-right culture warriors, who can then be largely disregarded.

Adam will hate this, but Starmer has done extraordinarily well. He's had to sideline the Corbynites, get some discipline back and start presenting the party as a serious force capable of government rather than the utter joke of Corbyn, Burton, Pidcock et al. We are barely 2.5 years from the utter disaster of Corbyn, and the implosion of the party.

I can't recall what exactly New Labour were doing at this point in the electoral cycle in there development but it would have been equivalent to about December 1995. New Labour put out their manifesto in July 1996, so those berating Starmer for not announcing big policies are being a little premature.

What we lack so far is the excitement and hope and the presentation of positive change rather than just being 'not Tory', but I'm not sure we can expect this just yet. Starmer has a year before he has to get the manifesto out. We are still a long way out from a GE and whilst the focus is on the mess the country is in he can afford to keep the focus on that and let the Tories sit in it.

D

Deleted member 49

Actually, he is. But you have yet to work out why.
200w.gif

multitool

You take the p1ss, but you aren't prepared to do the thinking, most of all trying to see things from different perspectives. The fact that Starmer whipped his MPs to abstain rather than vote against ought to be a massive clue, but you are such a headless chicken you just start squawking instead.

17-47-32-images.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 49

Yeah, decontextualised edited clips. Well done.

Worked out why he whipped to abstain yet?

Your gonna let me into the secret that it's pointless voting it down because the Tories have a 80 seat majority and there's no point ?
Then I'm going to say why should the opposition oppose authoritarian policies? Such ideological thinking gets us nowhere....and join you're cult.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 49

That's what I want to hear....
"Nurses are the lifeblood of the NHS, yet they've been understaffed, underpaid & undervalued by 13 years of Tory rule. Now, from an Anti-Strike Bill to a draconian Public Order Act, nurses' rights risk being rolled back even further"

Reactions: C R

multitool

Your gonna let me into the secret that it's pointless voting it down because the Tories have a 80 seat majority and there's no point ?
Then I'm going to say why should the opposition oppose authoritarian policies? Such ideological thinking gets us nowhere....and join you're cult.

Nope. You are nowhere close.

Top Bottom