Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

Starmer's only motivation is this futile attempt to make himself appear electable to the Sheps, Craigs & Paleys of the world. He'll stab any back & stomp on any face on his way to failing at that.
Why not try to appear electable to those who know what's best for the country instead then?

That's you lefties by the way.

Beebo

Veteran
Starmer's only motivation is this futile attempt to make himself appear electable to the Sheps, Craigs & Paleys of the world. He'll stab any back & stomp on any face on his way to failing at that.
Labour are struggling, but I don’t think they have any other options. Starmer knows there is no point holding the moral high ground whilst being in perpetual opposition.
All the Tories have to do is keep their die hard supporters happy, they don’t care about anyone else. They are supremely successful at retaining power.
The centre and left of centre opposition parties need to pull together under one sensible banner. They have a larger vote share than the Tories. But the electoral system is against them and with upcoming boundary changes it’s only going to get worse.

Why not try to appear electable to those who know what's best for the country instead then?

That's you lefties by the way.

So, by being electable is breaking the laws that a PM instigated, and lied about breaking those laws, chucking billions into a PPE black hole, where 12 billion + has been written off by the Chancellor as fraud (I wonder about the Tory Party connections there), made the UK an international laughing stock, brought in policies that allowed a 23 mile tailback of trucks in SE England (yes, Brexit and a crap IT system), packing the Lords with the PM's friends (see Lebedev), run a party that's up to its neck in corruption, criminality and Russian cash and a 6 figure death toll from Covid (100,000 were avoidable according to Independent Sage), a Chancellor whose tax affairs are questionable, as well as his wife's. Oh, and a cabinet with the combined IQ of a potato and less culture than a petri dish, a 54% increase in energy bills, a cost of living crisis, highest tax rates in 70 years and the highest inflation in 40 years

Have I missed anything? Is this what's best for the country?

This is not a left or right issue. This should concern everyone regardless.

Last edited:
Labour are struggling, but I don’t think they have any other options. Starmer knows there is no point holding the moral high ground whilst being in perpetual opposition.
All the Tories have to do is keep their die hard supporters happy, they don’t care about anyone else. They are supremely successful at retaining power.
The centre and left of centre opposition parties need to pull together under one sensible banner. They have a larger vote share than the Tories. But the electoral system is against them and with upcoming boundary changes it’s only going to get worse.
But the issue here is that their 'Die hard supporters' are dying of old age, or will do soon. Then what?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
So, by being electable is breaking the laws that a PM instigated, and lied about breaking those laws, chucking billions into a PPE black hole, where 12 billion + has been written off by the Chancellor as fraud (I wonder about the Tory Party connections there), made the UK an international laughing stock, brought in policies that allowed a 23 mile tailback of trucks in SE England (yes, Brexit and a crap IT system), packing the Lords with the PM's friends (see Lebedev), run a party that's up to its neck in corruption, criminality and Russian cash and a 6 figure death toll from Covid (100,000 were avoidable according to Independent Sage), a Chancellor whose tax affairs are questionable, as well as his wife's. Oh, and a cabinet with the combined IQ of a potato and less culture than a petri dish, a 54% increase in energy bills, a cost of living crisis, highest tax rates in 70 years and the highest inflation in 40 years

Have I missed anything? Is this what's best for the country?

This is not a left or right issue. This should concern everyone regardless.

Don't think you have missed anything.

Yes, maybe this should concern everyone, regardless, but, from the election results in my lifetime, it would appear, it doesn't.

Cirrus

Don't think you have missed anything.

Yes, maybe this should concern everyone, regardless, but, from the election results in my lifetime, it would appear, it doesn't.
Corbyn, the great white hope, had two attempts and the last was a landslide to the incumbent government (Who were and are farking shoot), Labour need to appeal to the electorate not just to LWNJs.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Corbyn, the great white hope, had two attempts and the last was a landslide to the incumbent government (Who were and are farking shoot), Labour need to appeal to the electorate not just to LWNJs.

ANY Party needs to be appealing to the electorate, in order to get elected, and, hence forming a Government.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Labour are struggling, but I don’t think they have any other options.
They seem to be wilfully abandoning a huge proportion of the 13 million people who voted Labour in 2017, and the 10.3 million in 2019. I'm hearing so many people on the left - many former Labour members & activists - saying they have literally no-one to vote for now, and that they will simply not participate if Labour is still the same in the next GE.

I'm fortunate that in Scotland at least we have a credible alternative - but let's remember that's a party that Starmer has said that he will never, under any circumstances, do any kind of a deal with.

They seem to be wilfully abandoning a huge proportion of the 13 million people who voted Labour in 2017, and the 10.3 million in 2019. I'm hearing so many people on the left - many former Labour members & activists - saying they have literally no-one to vote for now, and that they will simply not participate if Labour is still the same in the next GE.

I'm fortunate that in Scotland at least we have a credible alternative - but let's remember that's a party that Starmer has said that he will never, under any circumstances, do any kind of a deal with.

They're also abandoning the 17 million that voted against brexit as well. Will there be anyone left to vote for them?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
The fact is most people don't care. They simply aren't that bothered about a garden party quite a while ago. They are not that interested in where a politician's wife pays her tax. They aren't fussed that we are paying £6 million a week just storing PPE that we massively overpaid for in the first place. Maybe they should care, but they don't care, well not that much anyway. If it leads to a backlash at the ballot box it will be that people don't vote at all for once, rather than translating into votes for anyone else.

It will be interesting to see the turn out in the council elections. I think it will be even lower than usual. Most people I know are disillusioned with all the main parties at the moment, and there are very few individual politicians who inspire admiration or respect.

The fact is most people don't care. They simply aren't that bothered about a garden party quite a while ago. They are not that interested in where a politician's wife pays her tax. They aren't fussed that we are paying £6 million a week just storing PPE that we massively overpaid for in the first place. Maybe they should care, but they don't care, well not that much anyway. If it leads to a backlash at the ballot box it will be that people don't vote at all for once, rather than translating into votes for anyone else.

It will be interesting to see the turn out in the council elections. I think it will be even lower than usual. Most people I know are disillusioned with all the main parties at the moment, and there are very few individual politicians who inspire admiration or respect.

And that is really concerning. There is the most corrupt, idiotic and criminal gov in charge just now and people can't be arsed to vote them out. Therefore, a low turnout will give the No10 criminal cabal an excuse to continue their corruption.

Anywhere else, people would be out in the streets.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom