Strike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

I'd be happy for us to try and move away from the term 'benefits' altogether. They're entitlements.

Ah well that's another issue altogether in my opinion, I thought the word 'entitled ' is really frowned upon on here.

D

Deleted member 28

Particularly as some of the usual suspects seem keen to lump state pension in with “benefits.”

I hope that's not aimed at me as I certainly don't and am more than happy to pay for the 'oldies ' as I may even be a recipient myself one day.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I'd be happy for us to try and move away from the term 'benefits' altogether. They're entitlements.

I have no idea how this could be made to work, but, my "pipe dream" system would dispense with the notion of benefits:

- all existing benefits would be scrapped

- all existing taxes based on expenditure, property etc (ie VAT, Domestic Rates, Insurance premium tax, Inheritance Tax, etc etc) would be scrapped

- all Company taxation and associated allowances would be scrapped

- every UK resident adult (ie age 18+ say) would receive a monthly payment, no means testing, no applying, just existing would be enough (ie, a universal income, rather than a universal credit) this would continue from qualifying age to death.

- this would be part of the PAYE system (everyone would be on PAYE, no Non-doms, self employed, etc etc

- any additional earnings/income would be added to the base payment, tax would be levied on a scale which incremented at a linear and uniform

- there would be no "tax allowances". and, there would be no additional payments for rent/etc etc

I don't see how it could be implemented overnight, it would have to be a gradual conversion, and, working out the linear rate of taxation required to bring in the required level of income to fund public service, is beyond my mathematical capabilities. But, in principle, I think it is a sound idea, no scope for smartarse accountants to dodge and dive with the tax allowances.

I accept, it will never happen. ;)

D

Deleted member 28

I have no idea how this could be made to work, but, my "pipe dream" system would dispense with the notion of benefits:

- all existing benefits would be scrapped

- all existing taxes based on expenditure, property etc (ie VAT, Domestic Rates, Insurance premium tax, Inheritance Tax, etc etc) would be scrapped

- all Company taxation and associated allowances would be scrapped

- every UK resident adult (ie age 18+ say) would receive a monthly payment, no means testing, no applying, just existing would be enough (ie, a universal income, rather than a universal credit) this would continue from qualifying age to death.

- this would be part of the PAYE system (everyone would be on PAYE, no Non-doms, self employed, etc etc

- any additional earnings/income would be added to the base payment, tax would be levied on a scale which incremented at a linear and uniform

- there would be no "tax allowances". and, there would be no additional payments for rent/etc etc

I don't see how it could be implemented overnight, it would have to be a gradual conversion, and, working out the linear rate of taxation required to bring in the required level of income to fund public service, is beyond my mathematical capabilities. But, in principle, I think it is a sound idea, no scope for smartarse accountants to dodge and dive with the tax allowances.

I accept, it will never happen. ;)

Best of luck with that, sounds a bit like communism to me.

Why only PAYE, people like working for themselves and enjoy the freedom and endless rewards it can bring.

Why automatically give anyone anything?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Best of luck with that, sounds a bit like communism to me.

Why only PAYE, people like working for themselves and enjoy the freedom and endless rewards it can bring.

Why automatically give anyone anything?

I did say I hadn't worked out all the details @shep, but..

I clearly haven't explained well enough, people can still have as much income as they wish to earn, there is no attempt or desire to make us all "equal" in that sense, indeed, quite the reverse, the objective is to encourage personal responsibility and diminish state responsibility. it is simply a way to simplify the labyrinth "social security" system, which at present, for the most part depends on people actually applying or asking for help. You even have to actually apply for your State Pension.

By everyone on PAYE, I simply mean that. everyone's personal taxation should be on the same basis, no little dodges and dives to allow avoidance. That was not meant to imply it would be identical to the existing PAYE system. For sure, it would require a degree of competence on the part of HMRC which has not been displayed today, in my experience. I didn't mean that people should no longer be able to "work for themselves" (I actually did that for much of my working life), it simply meant that everyone should be taxed on the same basis.

I repeat, I don't have the ability or resources to work out every dot and comma, but, my principle would be, if attempting to do so, avoid all "special cases" and "exceptions", KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

EDIT: I see there is another post which suggests, to me, that I have made a really poor job of explaining it, ;) Never mind, it's only any idea

Last edited:

albion

Guru
Worth following the escapades of Mick Lynch, a skilled man with more enemies than Meghan.
https://leftfootforward.org/2022/12/round-up-of-the-best-of-mick-lynch-moments-of-the-week/
Not riveting like the Richard Madely attack failure was the, still watchable, cold as ice, Piers Morgan personal attack failure

It also also worth checking out Question Time from June. Having caught Rachel Maclean red handed, Fiona Bruce made the error of slipping back into Tory mode, and apologised by effectively saying 'with Rachael now a total mute, someone has to put an argument'.

matticus

Guru
1673094610857.png

matticus

Guru
What's the point of the prohibition on chatting, blogging, writing about it? Are strikers not allowed to canvas for support?

The strikers have already decided to strike - as opposed to using more passive messaging that HMGov generally finds it rather easier to ignore.

Top Bottom