Sturgeon resigns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Meanwhile, in Tory Westminster...

21 billion.jpg

*MSM & BritNat voters shrug shoulders, mumble "oh well", and wander off.*

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Normally I'd agree with you on this, but the humour in this case largely revolves around the response to it.

Cheers for the laugh :okay:

Whatever floats your boat.

multitool

Shaman
Funny

11-35-36-TELEMMGLPICT000240311249_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqrQxcDHqZ1D9rc51SGqPCxmraOehBNxEFQqajqlQ-MPk.jpeg

Not funny

11-35-58-331447947_1126888404650551_8331931345176758141_n.jpg

I mean, you could if you wanted to, formulate an argument as to why mocking people for their physical characteristics is funny in some cases, but not others. After all, nearly all satirical political cartoons have this as a feature.

If you want to explain why it's not funny in the case of Sturgeon, just don't fall into the obvious trap of using the expression "punching down".

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
@multitool In Scotland the Krankie meme tends to be used by people from very much the other side of the political spectrum to the one I assume you inhabit.

There's a risk people might start thinking you really do understand exactly what Starmer's selling.

multitool

Shaman
@multitool In Scotland the Krankie meme tends to be used by people from very much the other side of the political spectrum to the one I assume you inhabit.

Well, clearly I'm aware of that, but in general I'm not so po-faced as to be unable to laugh at myself or my own positions on things.

Broadly, I remain impressed with Sturgeon's political career.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member

There's a risk people might start thinking you really do understand exactly what Starmer's selling.

It’s also a bit odd to use that meme for a story that’s about Peter Murrell being arrested.

D

Deleted member 28

Yeah, but the Crankie thing isn't, and never will be funny.

Why not, because your a sweaty?

That must be the closest resemblance to anyone going ever.

icowden

Legendary Member
Is it ok to take the pi$$ out of someone's appearance or not?
I think it's about context. No-one is saying that somehow looking like wee Jimmie Crankie is a slur, that Sturgeon is ugly or inadequate. It's just an amusing parallel because of the resemblence. Hence, in Private Eye, William McGonagall has written poems for years all of which feature somewhere the line "the wee lookalike krankie". I don't think it's a mean spirited comparison, just an amusing one.

Top Bottom