Swearing and/or offensive language

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
It's great when my boss swears. She's normally so calm and level headed and measured in what she says, so when she does swear you know that something fun is going on.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I was going to start a thread about this last night but was far too lazy knackered.

Most of my opinions have already been covered but broadly, profane & vulgar words are an essential part of the breadth and expressiveness of the language, and depending on use and context, can be very powerful in different ways.

I was brought up in a household where neither of my parents swore - in fact my Mum found many such words genuinely offensive and upsetting. Her opinion was also that swearing was a sign of a poor vocabulary, and there was always a better word. She was a wise and wonderful woman, but wrong about this - words are powerful, and sometimes (but never in front of my Mum) you just have to call a cünt a cünt.

And that word is a particularly good example. I know only too well that to many people (my Mum being my Mum) it's the worst word, and one shouldn't even think it, never mind say it. Until very recently I would have though such a strong reaction was largely a generational thing, but perhaps not. Anyway, it's a fascinating, versatile word - depending on context it can be viciously insulting, a term of endearment, screamingly hilarious and even powerfully sexual.

It's a good demonstration of how no words are intrinsically offensive - even the most grotesque racist and sexist epithets, they are just words - it is entirely down to their use and context and intent. That's why there are many words I would never choose to use because they have achieved a status in modern discourse where they unambiguously express attitudes I find abhorrent, and nothing else.

I've always found it interesting that most 'bad' words have perfectly legitimate and ordinary origins and once would have been the 'proper' word for what they describe. It's only their changing use over time that gives them the meanings - and the power - they now have.

Probably some of you will think I'm talking complete bollocks - but 'bollocks' was demonstrated in a 1978 court case to be an acceptable, non-profane word meaning 'small balls', and quite appropriate for use in polite conversation, and also on the cover of an album sleeve by an at-the-time notorious popular beat combo. So bollocks to the lot of you. :tongue:

This is very well put. Chapeau.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
It's great when my boss swears. She's normally so calm and level headed and measured in what she says, so when she does swear you know that something fun is going on.

In my old job, a lot of people didn't know how to swear. It was very confusing!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Christ @jowwy You never give it a rest do you? Can't have a decent debate without you ruining it.

Now, in the spirit of the thread title, I would like you to f*ck off you annoying little c*unt!

Please. :biggrin:

滚开 .....because until you came here, it was a decent debate, now its just another thread full of swear words

anyone want to call the English teacher out on it??? or do we just stand by and say jowwy ruined the thread, cause thats the easiest thing for people to say.....

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Well, you were the person that posted four times attacking @AndyRM before actually contributing anything relevant to the thread.

and andyrm didnt attack back did he....yet again adding nothing to the thread and not even a quality post either and i wouldnt say asking questiosn on geto boys or saying he could use the radio edit version of songs is an attack, but wrap it up in any way you want.

and didnt another post ask him the same thing???.......

as the english teacher would say " must do better"

Mr Celine

1658926343267.png

Milkfloat

Without going all 'English teacher' on you, some of the great wordsmiths of the world loved a bit of swearing.

James Joyce in Ulysses.
If you see kay
Tell him he may
See you in tea
Tell him from me.

Shakespeare in Twelfth Night
By my life, this is my lady’s hand. These be her very c’s, her u’s, and her t’s, and thus makes she her great P’s. It is in contempt of question her hand.

As to @jowwy 's physical 'C-bomb'. Maybe Bill expressed it via King Lear in a worse way than 4 letters.
Down from the waist they are Centaurs,
Though women all above.
But to the girdle do the gods inherit.
Beneath is all the fiends’; there’s hell, there’s darkness,
There’s the sulphurous pit, burning, scalding,
Stench, consumption! Fie, fie, fie! Pah! pah!

P.S. The King Lear quote is whilst blaming women for Gloucester's adultery.

D

Deleted member 49

Without going all 'English teacher' on you, some of the great wordsmiths of the world loved a bit of swearing
Irvine Welsh.....
It’s farking nuts in the UK now. We fanny around on our phones while the country descends into a pre industrial feudal mess raped by taxing offshore rich daffodils bombarding us with relentless propaganda about how great they and it are.

Top Bottom