Swearing and/or offensive language

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
i think ive stated quite a few times hear, that work colleagues have never heard me swear, as there is a time and a place for it. But some words belong in the gutter and shouldnt be used, not even in music. Accepting these words is why society is still the way it is today......

ive added plenty to the discussion.........any chance of you adding anything to the whole forum??

It's quality over quantity for me, thanks. I'll post what I like, when I like.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
dont tell me...i listen to geto boys, i cant be racist.

Hell mend me, I don't know why I'm still bothering but you really are antagonistic.

I'm not using my love of rap music to defend my lack of racism.

Are there words in the lyrics I shouldn't use? Sure. Am I comfortable using them? Yep. Because it's about context.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Hell mend me, I don't know why I'm still bothering but you really are antagonistic.

I'm not using my love of rap music to defend my lack of racism.

Are there words in the lyrics I shouldn't use? Sure. Am I comfortable using them? Yep. Because it's about context.

says the innocent choir boy.....anyway this thread aint all about you. Lets get back on topic

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Swearing is usually dull, and reduces the clarity of the text and/or speaker. Very often it's simply unpleasant. VERY VERY occasionally it can be wonderful (or at least amusing.)

I'm not sure I agree with you there. While I understand that some people have an issue with it, I think that swearing can be a powerful form of punctuation or emphasis. And when used casually it usually slips by unnoticed, and generally if called on it the user will modify their language, in my experience at least.

I nearly caused collapse of stout parties by using the term 'shitty end of the stick' in a job interview.

CEO was not offended, she'd just never hears anyone swear in an interview before.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
I was going to start a thread about this last night but was far too lazy knackered.

Most of my opinions have already been covered but broadly, profane & vulgar words are an essential part of the breadth and expressiveness of the language, and depending on use and context, can be very powerful in different ways.

I was brought up in a household where neither of my parents swore - in fact my Mum found many such words genuinely offensive and upsetting. Her opinion was also that swearing was a sign of a poor vocabulary, and there was always a better word. She was a wise and wonderful woman, but wrong about this - words are powerful, and sometimes (but never in front of my Mum) you just have to call a cünt a cünt.

And that word is a particularly good example. I know only too well that to many people (my Mum being my Mum) it's the worst word, and one shouldn't even think it, never mind say it. Until very recently I would have though such a strong reaction was largely a generational thing, but perhaps not. Anyway, it's a fascinating, versatile word - depending on context it can be viciously insulting, a term of endearment, screamingly hilarious and even powerfully sexual.

It's a good demonstration of how no words are intrinsically offensive - even the most grotesque racist and sexist epithets, they are just words - it is entirely down to their use and context and intent. That's why there are many words I would never choose to use because they have achieved a status in modern discourse where they unambiguously express attitudes I find abhorrent, and nothing else.

I've always found it interesting that most 'bad' words have perfectly legitimate and ordinary origins and once would have been the 'proper' word for what they describe. It's only their changing use over time that gives them the meanings - and the power - they now have.

Probably some of you will think I'm talking complete bollocks - but 'bollocks' was demonstrated in a 1978 court case to be an acceptable, non-profane word meaning 'small balls', and quite appropriate for use in polite conversation, and also on the cover of an album sleeve by an at-the-time notorious popular beat combo. So bollocks to the lot of you. :tongue:

Top Bottom