The Dahl Affair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

Guest
They made their wooden track to make it incompatible with other manufacturer's. By changing the shape of the male and female* connectors...











*yes I know, but then the joke wouldn't work.

So, a gender changer. Used those myself in the past.
 

swansonj

Regular
Clear political bias in that James was the only red engine.

Ahem.

Mike.

😀
 
Having read that the publisher (Puffin) is now releasing uncensored versions of his books, I get the distinct feeling that the whole thing has been a marketing gimmick.

Instigate a change or removal of something popular and long-established, wait for the debate to fill social and mainstream media, creating a renewed interest in the product and then either backtrack on the decision or release a parallel product. The producer pretends to relent “to public pressure” making the public feel they’ve somehow won a victory and sales go up.

Well done Puffin👏


The publisher of Roald Dahl has announced that it will produce uncensored versions of his stories following a backlash over changes to his work. ​
​
Puffin UK said it would release "The Roald Dahl Classic Collection", to keep the author’s "classic texts in print".​
​
The publisher said it had "listened to the debate" and understood there were "very real questions around how stories can be kept relevant for new generations".​
 
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Pharaoh
Having read that the publisher (Puffin) is now releasing uncensored versions of his books, I get the distinct feeling that the whole thing has been a marketing gimmick.

Instigate a change or removal of something popular and long-established, wait for the debate to fill social and mainstream media, creating a renewed interest in the product and then either backtrack on the decision or release a parallel product. The producer pretends to relent “to public pressure” making the public feel they’ve somehow won a victory and sales go up.
Yes, I've seen a good few similar comments pointing out the free publicity followed by a rush to buy the "uncensored" versions. Double win for the publishers...
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Having read that the publisher (Puffin) is now releasing uncensored versions of his books, I get the distinct feeling that the whole thing has been a marketing gimmick.

Instigate a change or removal of something popular and long-established, wait for the debate to fill social and mainstream media, creating a renewed interest in the product and then either backtrack on the decision or release a parallel product. The producer pretends to relent “to public pressure” making the public feel they’ve somehow won a victory and sales go up.

Well done Puffin👏


The publisher of Roald Dahl has announced that it will produce uncensored versions of his stories following a backlash over changes to his work. ​
​
Puffin UK said it would release "The Roald Dahl Classic Collection", to keep the author’s "classic texts in print".​
​
The publisher said it had "listened to the debate" and understood there were "very real questions around how stories can be kept relevant for new generations".​

That's usually how these things go.

Online marketing is one of the easiest spaces to manipulate these days. Basically chuck a match in and walk away.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R
I think Scott Adams would disagree.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64775250

Many US newspapers including the Washington Post have dropped the long-running Dilbert cartoon strip after its creator made racist comments.​
​
In a video on YouTube, Scott Adams, who is white, said black Americans were part of a "hate group" and that white people should "get the hell away" from them.​
​
Mr Adams, 65, later acknowledged that his career was destroyed.​
He said most of his income would be gone by next week.​
​
Dilbert has been a mainstay of the funny pages of America's newspapers, and features a put-upon office worker and a talking dog, who together take aim at the fads of corporate culture.​
Among those media outlets that have dropped the Dilbert cartoon strip are the USA Today network, which operates dozens of newspapers, and the Los Angeles Times.​
 

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Location
South Tyneside
I think Scott Adams would disagree.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64775250

Many US newspapers including the Washington Post have dropped the long-running Dilbert cartoon strip after its creator made racist comments.​
​
In a video on YouTube, Scott Adams, who is white, said black Americans were part of a "hate group" and that white people should "get the hell away" from them.​
​
Mr Adams, 65, later acknowledged that his career was destroyed.​
He said most of his income would be gone by next week.​
​
Dilbert has been a mainstay of the funny pages of America's newspapers, and features a put-upon office worker and a talking dog, who together take aim at the fads of corporate culture.​
Among those media outlets that have dropped the Dilbert cartoon strip are the USA Today network, which operates dozens of newspapers, and the Los Angeles Times.​

Like the bible, there are "folksy" sayings, for every occasion ;) "the except proves the rule", springs to mind.

But, in this case, Scott Adam's bad publicity is perhaps, not in vain, I had never heard of him, now, I have ;)

Knowing who he is does not mean that I agree with him of course.
 

matticus

Legendary Member
Dilbert doesn't really travel well - it's an American cartoon for American people (IMHO).

I'd say it's for anyone that works in a big office-based corporation, especially IT-based. I find his observations very true to life!
(I'm not in IT any more, but we all use big IT systems in some way don't we?) When he's good, he's hilarious 👍

I shan't be cancelling him just yet, but that doesn't mean I agree with everything he says (I haven't actually seen/heard the alleged comments yet). YMMV.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

Ian H

Pharaoh
I've never worked anywhere where I wasn't on first-name terms with my employer, so big corp is a foreign country for me, with a foreign language.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom