The Dahl Affair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

They made their wooden track to make it incompatible with other manufacturer's. By changing the shape of the male and female* connectors...

*yes I know, but then the joke wouldn't work.

So, a gender changer. Used those myself in the past.

swansonj

Regular
Clear political bias in that James was the only red engine.

Ahem.

Mike.

😀

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Having read that the publisher (Puffin) is now releasing uncensored versions of his books, I get the distinct feeling that the whole thing has been a marketing gimmick.

Instigate a change or removal of something popular and long-established, wait for the debate to fill social and mainstream media, creating a renewed interest in the product and then either backtrack on the decision or release a parallel product. The producer pretends to relent “to public pressure” making the public feel they’ve somehow won a victory and sales go up.

Well done Puffin👏

The publisher of Roald Dahl has announced that it will produce uncensored versions of his stories following a backlash over changes to his work.
Puffin UK said it would release "The Roald Dahl Classic Collection", to keep the author’s "classic texts in print".
The publisher said it had "listened to the debate" and understood there were "very real questions around how stories can be kept relevant for new generations".

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
Having read that the publisher (Puffin) is now releasing uncensored versions of his books, I get the distinct feeling that the whole thing has been a marketing gimmick.

Instigate a change or removal of something popular and long-established, wait for the debate to fill social and mainstream media, creating a renewed interest in the product and then either backtrack on the decision or release a parallel product. The producer pretends to relent “to public pressure” making the public feel they’ve somehow won a victory and sales go up.
Yes, I've seen a good few similar comments pointing out the free publicity followed by a rush to buy the "uncensored" versions. Double win for the publishers...

Reactions: C R

AndyRM

Elder Goth

Well done Puffin👏

The publisher of Roald Dahl has announced that it will produce uncensored versions of his stories following a backlash over changes to his work.
Puffin UK said it would release "The Roald Dahl Classic Collection", to keep the author’s "classic texts in print".
The publisher said it had "listened to the debate" and understood there were "very real questions around how stories can be kept relevant for new generations".

That's usually how these things go.

Online marketing is one of the easiest spaces to manipulate these days. Basically chuck a match in and walk away.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
I think Scott Adams would disagree.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64775250

Many US newspapers including the Washington Post have dropped the long-running Dilbert cartoon strip after its creator made racist comments.
In a video on YouTube, Scott Adams, who is white, said black Americans were part of a "hate group" and that white people should "get the hell away" from them.
Mr Adams, 65, later acknowledged that his career was destroyed.
He said most of his income would be gone by next week.
Dilbert has been a mainstay of the funny pages of America's newspapers, and features a put-upon office worker and a talking dog, who together take aim at the fads of corporate culture.
Among those media outlets that have dropped the Dilbert cartoon strip are the USA Today network, which operates dozens of newspapers, and the Los Angeles Times.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I think Scott Adams would disagree.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64775250

Many US newspapers including the Washington Post have dropped the long-running Dilbert cartoon strip after its creator made racist comments.
In a video on YouTube, Scott Adams, who is white, said black Americans were part of a "hate group" and that white people should "get the hell away" from them.
Mr Adams, 65, later acknowledged that his career was destroyed.
He said most of his income would be gone by next week.
Dilbert has been a mainstay of the funny pages of America's newspapers, and features a put-upon office worker and a talking dog, who together take aim at the fads of corporate culture.
Among those media outlets that have dropped the Dilbert cartoon strip are the USA Today network, which operates dozens of newspapers, and the Los Angeles Times.

Like the bible, there are "folksy" sayings, for every occasion ;) "the except proves the rule", springs to mind.

But, in this case, Scott Adam's bad publicity is perhaps, not in vain, I had never heard of him, now, I have ;)

Knowing who he is does not mean that I agree with him of course.

matticus

Guru
Dilbert doesn't really travel well - it's an American cartoon for American people (IMHO).

I'd say it's for anyone that works in a big office-based corporation, especially IT-based. I find his observations very true to life!
(I'm not in IT any more, but we all use big IT systems in some way don't we?) When he's good, he's hilarious 👍

I shan't be cancelling him just yet, but that doesn't mean I agree with everything he says (I haven't actually seen/heard the alleged comments yet). YMMV.

Ian H

Guru
I've never worked anywhere where I wasn't on first-name terms with my employer, so big corp is a foreign country for me, with a foreign language.

Top Bottom