The Dahl Affair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
“let there be no squeaking like mice but only roaring like a pride of lions!”

The Queen Consort [Camilla] has forced publisher Puffin UK to back down on its censorship of Roald Dahl books after she intervened in the decision to edit his words

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...nounces-unaltered-16-book-classics-collection

Not really backing down if they're now selling two versions...

"Series will be released alongside controversially amended versions to leave readers ‘free to choose which version they prefer’"

Reactions: C R

mudsticks

Squire
? I found the post @BoldonLad replied to confusing rather than sarcastic.

I don't know for sure but I'm surmizing that our mr/ms turnip was riffing on the fact that our 'emboldened' interlocutor often appears to find offensive opinions or statements (expressed on here) highly hilarious ..
Now you've made me really jealous, it is antroido this week, and lacón con grelos (ham hock with turnip tops) is compulsory at this time, but I can't remember last time I had it.

Made some filloas on Tuesday to have with sausages, small mercies.
View attachment 3174
That looks delicious - is it pancake or pastry.

C R

Über Member
I don't know for sure but I'm surmizing that our mr/ms turnip was riffing on the fact that our 'emboldened' interlocutor often appears to find offensive opinions or statements (expressed on here) highly hilarious ..

That looks delicious - is it pancake or pastry.

Pancakes, there are a few variations, including one with pig's blood. The ones I make are savoury, roughly the same recipe as in the link, but only with water. The batter is meant to be quite thin, because you want the filloas to be thin enough to be translucent. Then you grill sausages (chourizos preferably) and roll them in the filloas.

Proper filloas are made on a stone, but I had to make do with a frying pan.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
The Queen Consort [Camilla] has forced publisher Puffin UK to back down on its censorship of Roald Dahl books after she intervened in the decision to edit his words
Fixed it:-

Camilla defends free speech in face of Roald Dahl censorship row​

The Queen Consort has forced publisher Puffin UK to back down on its censorship of Roald Dahl books after she intervened in the row over the decision to edit his words. Camilla gave an impassioned defence of free speech and the right of writers to express themselves at Clarence House on Thursday 23 February, just days after she let it be known privately that she had serious concerns over the changes to Dahl’s books.

Last week, it emerged that the best-selling children’s books were being rewritten to remove language considered offensive by Puffin
The word “fat”, for example, had been cut from every book. Augustus Gloop in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is instead described as “enormous”, an investigation by The Telegraph found.

Following the outcry on social media and in the press, Puffin has now issued a statement announcing that it will make both the original and censored versions available to readers.

Mr Celine

I still have my original copy of Henry the Green Engine. Henry sneezes thick smoke over some naughty schoolboys to teach them a lesson and they all ran away as black as n******.

And Henry wasn't very green either, he had to burn his own special high carbon coal.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I bet that's a great read. Any transgender engines in it?
They changed their wooden track to make it incompatible with other manufacturer's. By changing the shape of the male and female* connectors...

*yes I know, but then the joke wouldn't work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom