The Dahl Affair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the snail

Because we all did of course.

Yes, if you go back to say, the 60s, racist attitudes were totally the norm- eg the unions fighting against the employment of non-whites, "no blacks no irish" signs, most didn't give these things a second thought.

multitool

Shaman
Ha ha.
It was more a reflection that sometimes making something more inclusive doesn't work and just breaks the thing. My daughter likes most of the new characters (not Mahira - she doesn't like football) but not at the expense of the Bash Street Kids. Trying to rationalise a comic strip into being like a real school doesn't work. It isn't real.

Understood, and you are right. I was making a remark on the supposed sanctity of literature. In the grand scheme of things it is ephemeral, rarely survives very long without change. eg The Bible.

D

Deleted member 28

It is interesting to see how things get adapted. My daughter started reading the Beano about 6 or 7 years ago (well, I read it to her). I knew it had changed from my day with slipper beatings being removed and Walter the softy becoming more of a super-villain etc.

However in the time we have been reading it, it has adapted. Firstly new strips as all the characters were white. So we have Harsha's Joke Shop, Sketch Khad, Dangerous Dan, Mahira of the Match. To a degree, some of them feel a bit like tokenism (lets do Ball boy but make him female and Asian) and Harsha's joke shop is just an Asian version of Tricky Dicky although a bit better conceived and the characters are actually different.

Where it started to become problematic even for my daughter was in changes to the Bash Street Kids. Fatty is now Freddy, Spotty is now Scotty which she found a bit annoying - their nicknames were never seen as perjoratives, just an integral part of their characters. Fatty often saves the day by eating the kids out of trouble (for example) or using his noxious wind.

The last straw for her was when they decided to expand Class 2b and add in Harsha, Mandi, Stevie Star, Khadija and Mahira as new Bash Street Kids. The result is that the strip doesn't work very well any more. It's hard enough to include 10 characters in a 2-3 page strip and give them all something to do, but 15 characters is too many and the actual Bash Street kids get side-lined through inclusion.

Isn't this what you people want, 'inclusion', you can't then complain it's getting silly.

bobzmyunkle

Yes, if you go back to say, the 60s, racist attitudes were totally the norm- eg the unions fighting against the employment of non-whites, "no blacks no irish" signs, most didn't give these things a second thought.
Bloody hell. Give this thread another couple of pages and it'll be a nailed on fact that I said there was no racism in the 60s. Just for the record I said no such thing.

mudsticks

Squire

It goes to show how progress has been made, it's taken quite a lot effort and time, there's been some backsliding too, but positive change has happened.

There's still progress to make, and that will also take time and effort, on many peoples part.

It was ever thus.

There will always be those who resist progress
Always be those who don't really give a shoot'

Things change, and things also stay the same.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It goes to show how progress has been made, it's taken quite a lot effort and time, there's been some backsliding too, but positive change has happened.

There's still progress to make, and that will also take time and effort, on many peoples part.

It was ever thus.

A few days ago, I was giving Daughter No4, and one of her work colleagues a lift to a difficult to get to (on public transport) Agency Shift. I heard an expression I haven heard for many years, ie referring to certain people as "darkies". It came out the mouth of the 25 year old work colleague.

I did express my disapproval.

The Crofted Crest

It was ever thus.

β€œlet there be no squeaking like mice but only roaring like a pride of lions!”

The Queen Consort [Camilla] has forced publisher Puffin UK to back down on its censorship of Roald Dahl books after she intervened in the decision to edit his words

Last edited:

fozy tornip

fozympotent
I heard an expression I haven heard for many years, ie referring to certain people as "darkies". It came out the mouth of the 25 year old work colleague.

I did express my disapproval.

Whereas I thought it was one in the eye for the po-faced woke brigade, and hilarious. So I awarded it a big fat

rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-emoji-icon.jpg

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

mudsticks

Squire
β€œlet there be no squeaking like mice but only roaring like a pride of lions!”

The Queen Consort [Camilla] has forced publisher Puffin UK to back down on its censorship of Roald Dahl books after she intervened in the decision to edit his words

"Rawwwrrrr.!!"

🦁🦁🦁🦁🦁

Really?

I thought it rather sad.

And at the same time

"Whooooosssh...".

🌊🌊🌊🌊

I'm potentially available between 3 and 4pm this Sunday, if anyone should require any more sound effects .

In the meantime..

Keep up the barely 🐻 average work πŸ‘πŸΌ

C R

Über Member
"Rawwwrrrr.!!"

🦁🦁🦁🦁🦁

And at the same time

"Whooooosssh...".

🌊🌊🌊🌊

I'm potentially available between 3 and 4pm this Sunday, if anyone should require any more sound effects .

In the meantime..

Keep up the barely 🐻 average work πŸ‘πŸΌ

? I found the post @BoldonLad replied to confusing rather than sarcastic.

mudsticks

Squire
? I found the post @BoldonLad replied to confusing rather than sarcastic.

Oh but we're all at sixes and sevens on here dear.

No one knows whether they're coming or going.
Nor which way's up or down..

Sometimes we just have to accept, and sit with our own befuddlement even.

But at the same time someone has just made some delicious soup, fried me two golden eggs.

And there's homemade lemon drizzle for afters too so >>>>>>> πŸ˜‹πŸ‘ŒπŸΌ

Edit -you're not going to beleeeve just how zeitgeisty the soup is..
But it does contain (amongst other things) delicious home-grown turnips*!!

(*That's also 'grelos' to you and me 🌱🌱🌱😬🌱🌱🌱)

Last edited:

C R

Über Member
Oh but we're all at sixes and sevens on here dear.

No one knows whether they're coming or going.
Nor which way's up or down..

Sometimes we just have to accept, and sit with our own befuddlement even.

But at the same time someone has just made some delicious soup, fried me two golden eggs.

And there's homemade lemon drizzle for afters too so >>>>>>> πŸ˜‹πŸ‘ŒπŸΌ

Edit -you're not going to beleeeve just how zeitgeisty the soup is..
But it does contain (amongst other things) delicious home-grown turnips*!!

(*That's also 'grelos' to you and me 🌱🌱🌱😬🌱🌱🌱)

Now you've made me really jealous, it is antroido this week, and lacΓ³n con grelos (ham hock with turnip tops) is compulsory at this time, but I can't remember last time I had it.

Made some filloas on Tuesday to have with sausages, small mercies.
20230220_174733.jpg

Top Bottom