The farkwittery of modern life....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ford Kuga display when you turn off the engine having at some point opened the rear doors...like to chuck yer coat on the back seat....

20220608_083106.jpg

And the bastard bongs at you 'till you push the button....

Farkwit Ford....

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
What is driving this kind of thing? ...

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Crikey, you have to push a button? That must take you nearly a second. How will you ever cope?

Why buy/hire a car with that feature if you hate it so much?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
What is driving this kind of thing? ...

I think it is probably a case of a solution, looking for a problem.

The micro-chips are powerful, so, they can do lots of things, so, let's do them, regardless of need.

If you are old enough to remember when electronic calculators came to the mass market, they boasted more and more features, I wager, 90%+ of users never used anything beyond add, subtract, multiply and divide, and, most did not even understand what the other options did.

Two of my "mature" drinking pals have recently bought new cars (1 x Mini Countryman, 1 x Honda CRV), both hate them, because of all the gadgets, warnings, beeps, etc. Yes, you can turn them off, but, that means reading the manual, which is online and as big as an encyclopaedia. I thought this was just a case of "old people, can't adapt", but, then, my second youngest (48) bought a new Seat Cupra, she hates it, for the same reasons.

D

Deleted member 49

Ive not had a company car without one of those for about ten years now and I've finally grown to like it.

Didn't like it at first though as you can't go on Tesco's car park and pull handbrakes in the snow. 😂
Can't see the benefit to be honest. I would imagine there more expensive if things go wrong or to service them ?

mudsticks

Squire
Ford Kuga display when you turn off the engine having at some point opened the rear doors...like to chuck yer coat on the back seat....

View attachment 1392
And the bastard bongs at you 'till you push the button....

Farkwit Ford....

Easy solution .

Be brassic enough to only ever purchase cars from last century 👍🏼👍🏼

No one wants to nick em, nor thieve anything from them.

Not much software..If any, to go wrong.

In Devon lanes you have to chuck yourself in the hedge all the time anyway, cos the people coming the other way in their binging and bonging 4wds don't want any dirty nettles to touch their precious paintwork.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
I think it is probably a case of a solution, looking for a problem.

The micro-chips are powerful, so, they can do lots of things, so, let's do them, regardless of need.

If you are old enough to remember when electronic calculators came to the mass market, they boasted more and more features, I wager, 90%+ of users never used anything beyond add, subtract, multiply and divide, and, most did not even understand what the other options did.

Two of my "mature" drinking pals have recently bought new cars (1 x Mini Countryman, 1 x Honda CRV), both hate them, because of all the gadgets, warnings, beeps, etc. Yes, you can turn them off, but, that means reading the manual, which is online and as big as an encyclopaedia. I thought this was just a case of "old people, can't adapt", but, then, my second youngest (48) bought a new Seat Cupra, she hates it, for the same reasons.

The Blaupunkt radio in our camper is sooo complex, that even after reading the inch thick manual, I still don't know how to tune into a DAB station...or an FM one....

D

Deleted member 49

Also, if your battery runs flat, the bloody handbrake is stuck on so you can't bump start your car.
Never thought of that.....I was thinking about kids and buttons in cars also ! In theory could it be switched on whilst driving ?
Or should I just try it out myself at work.

Bazzer

Must admit I do like the electronic handbrakes on Mrs B's car and mine. It is surprisingly easy to get used to auto boxes too, which both our main cars have. So when were away and hired a manual car with a lever handbrake, no auto hold and on the "wrong" side of the road, it took some getting used to.
Having owned my current car for around 18 months, I discovered by accident that it slams on the brakes if you open the driver's door while reversing. My sister's Volvo also does some odd "safety" stuff in certain conditions.

Top Bottom